DVDVR Message Board

NHL - January 2015

RIPPA

I used to like Street Cents. And the Beachcombers and original Degrassi as a kid. After that I'm drawing a blank.

ed: I'm currently scrolling through a Wikipedia list of former CBC shows and goddamn is it a trail of terribleness. I really don't like CanCon. Is it terrible that I hated Red Green and its ilk?

Nah, Red Green is the worst. Kids in the Hall is the real gem of CBC along with The Nature of Things. Other than that, it's hockey and the news.

Bubbles had it right:

LwQNYEL.jpg

Edit: oh fuck yeah, Street Cents. J-Roc's not-so-humble beginnings, knowhai'msayin'.

I kinda want to know what he's doing now, but I also don't want to google it and find out he's not riding a Harley around the Rockies, punching out bears and helping out small towns in trouble with the power of his slapshot.

Corrupt logging company? Slap shot.

Illegal poaching? Slap shot.

Underfunded rural schools? Slap shot.

Selling real estate, consulting on sticks, teaching the slap shot, . And working for the Blue Jackets.

Mr. D with Gerry Dee is an undiscovered CBC gem for me. Rick Mercer still rules it too.

The only reason to watch the All-Star game is that Byfuglien might run someone by mistake, and then be forced to ragdoll two motherfuckers at the same time. If I wanted to see a pickup hockey game without hitting, I'd go participate in one.

This NHL All Star Game Draft might be the most NHL thing ever. It's so horrible, so tacky, and completely embarrassing. You have guys showing up without their teeth, the leading vote getter not even bothering to iron his shirt, guys being completely drunk. It has been a train wreck.

That was probably the worst game of hockey I've ever seen in my life, and I've been to IHL games. Well, I honestly didn't come close to watching the whole thing.

On the other hand, the much maligned jerseys weren't that bad. I actually thought the black jerseys looked pretty sharp on the ice. The white jerseys were pretty bad though, they looked like practice jerseys. They reminded me of the Oilers when Reebok first came out with the slim jerseys. Too white and blank looking.

I liked the white gloves. Haters gonna hate.

Fleury not even bothering to try to make a save for a whole period was really something. He literally didn't try to stop at least 3 of the goals that beat him.

Yes I watched it. Man there was fuck all on TV today. Was basically only worthwhile in part if you were on twitter mocking the all star game, if you were just sittin' there all alone with a TV I don't know what the point was.

The NHL actually named a team after Nick Foligno. Think about that.

The white gloves were soooo weird. I've seen a lot of hockey and I can't recall ever seeing that. I still feel the NHL All Star Game is further from actual hockey than the Pro Bowl is from football. The entire highlight of the weekend was Johansen grabbing the kid and Voracek one upping him by grabbing Gaudreau. I think that not only did players 15-20 years ago take the game more seriously, they also somehow took the skills competition more seriously. If you're watching this game and aren't MST3King it on Twitter you really missed out.

Hey, watch the Don Cherry Story on Netflix streaming. It's 4 episodes, spread across 2 parts, and it's pretty good. It's obviously sanitized (it was written by his kid...) and the guy playing Grapes doesn't look that much like him (but does a good job with the mannerisms and voice), but it's good stuff. Check it out.

Detroit regained first place last night with a terrible 5-4 win over Florida. Both teams were pretty awful - Luongo gave up 5 goals, Mrazek gave up a couple softies, Detroit allowed 3 PP goals, Datsyuk was as invisible as he's been since his rookie year, etc. Just a bad, bad game from both sides. But hey, Detroit won, so I'll take it :)

Martin Brodeur is retiring and moving into the Blues front office.

'Kay.

My theory is that it's temporary and that he's sticking around just in case the team's goaltending situation goes to shit again. Next year I can't not see him in Newark.