DVDVR Message Board

NHL - January 2015

RIPPA

If you get a chance, check out Red Wings rookie Teemu Pulkkinen. He's a right winger with a ridiculous shot. Has a lot of the same mannerisms of a Brett Hull in the way he moves in the offensive zone. Obviously, he's nowhere near that level yet - he's not even gotten his first goal yet - but similar style. And that shot. Holy cow.

Also, Buffalo retired the Dominator's number the other night. He gave a terrific little speech and the whole was just generally really nice. Nice touch doing it when Detroit was in town given his tenures with the Wings.

The highlight packages of Hasek saves making the rounds the last couple days have been just amazing.

What a strange, strange goalie. Might have the worst technique of any goalie I've ever seen. Could literally barely stand on skates. But so much natural ability, flexibility, almost unnatural reflexes, and a will to compete. Just scary when he got into the zone.

There will never be another player quite like him.

Sorry there are Nagano highlights in there. I'm still not over that. Fuck.

• Like 2

Outshot 46-22, lose 70% of the faceoffs, give up 7 powerplays, win 2-1. Okie doke. I'm not sure who replaced Ondrej Pavelec with an imposter this year, but I'd like to thank them.

Also found out that TSN's Brian Engblom does not understand octopi. "Pavelec is like an octopus on the ice. SEVEN arms and legs!" So close, Brian, so close.

That Hasek highlights video is great. The Olympic stop on Lindros was just inhuman. What's funny is there's like a billion highlights from one single game from his time in Chicago (vs Pittsburgh) - a game where he still gave up 4 goals. How horrible was Chicago's defense that year? Good grief.

I loved Dom when he was in Detroit. He drove you crazy but he got the job done. And he got us a Cup.

And I still crack up every time I see the highlight of him dumping Gaborik on his head and getting a penalty.

Great win for Detroit tonight over Nashville, dominating from start to finish, 5-2. Some crazy bounces turned into goals and Z scored from below the goal line, banking one in off the back of the goalie's head. Fun game to watch!