DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

Hogan claimed injury on that spot for years. Taker never rewatched it until like a few years ago and was fucking pissed when he saw how much he protected Hogan.

Took the guy six years to win the championship again and he had to wrestle big fat stiffs he couldn't pick up and tombstone most of that time, so you gotta wonder how it messed with his career trajectory.

Hogan claimed injury on that spot for years. Taker never rewatched it until like a few years ago and was fucking pissed when he saw how much he protected Hogan.

Took the guy six years to win the championship again and he had to wrestle big fat stiffs he couldn't pick up and tombstone most of that time, so you gotta wonder how it messed with his career trajectory.

His career turned out pretty okay.

• Like 5

Actually, the first injury happened in '74. '91 was just a slight bump.

• Like 3

WHEN TAKER SLAMMED ME INTO HIROSHIMA IN '45 BROTHER, JFK CALLED ME AND SAID HULKSTER YOU MAY HAVE BROKEN YOUR NECK AT LEAST YOU ENDED THE GULF WAR BROTHER!!!  BUT WER"R GONNA PUT TAKER IN  PROGRAM WITH KING MABEL ANYWAY JUST TO MKAKE SURE CUBA DOESN"T INVADE AFGHANISTAN AGAIN!!!!

How are we even going to know when he starts having mini-strokes?

• Like 11

Yeah, but my point is that it could have been even better.

I had to suffer through my favorite wrestler feuding with guys liked Kama, Bundy, and Giant Gonzales for years.

I'd argue that it helped. Keeping Taker out of the title scene helped to keep him fresh and from being too overexposed. Also, he would've eventually run into The Kliq wall anyway and been forced to play second fiddle to them. 

I can't imagine what you do with Taker in the title scene in 1992-1995. Give him Yoko's heel run? The top face spot belonged to Bret and then Diesel. 

I think there was actually confusion on this - it looks like Hogan's head actually impacts with Undertaker's kneecap; it's possible that THAT'S what jammed his neck, because no, his head doesn't come within a foot of that chair.

Oddly, had Taker been using the "legs straddle the head" version of the Tombstone he started using exclusively in '94, instead of this over-the-shoulder type he was using early on, he probably wouldn't have had to do anything out of the ordinary to protect Hogan at all.  (From someone that has taken the move, the "legs straddle the head" version is actually very safe because you can use your own legs to grapevine around for added support.  It looked like it killed me but I didn't feel a thing.  I wonder if it's on YouTube still...)