DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If we go to the top 30 markets, the 5 that could host their first Wrestlemania (except Dallas): Tampa Bay (either outdoors or in the craptacular Trop), Minneapolis (at Vikings Stadium), Charlotte (Panthers Stadium), San Diego (if they ever give the Chargers a new stadium in SD) and St. Louis (before they knock the Edward Jones Dome down post-Rams)

I have to assume MetLife is in the rotation.

Hell, it was just there two years ago.

Vince will always go back to north east periodically. It's his home base.

It's weird how there wasn't a southeast (not counting Texas) mania for the first 23 years, and then there were three in the area in five years, plus again last year.

WWE also got really lucky. The Northeast in March outdoors can be either really cold or moderately warm. NYC is about as far north as you CAN go outdoors and not risk a full blown blizzard. 

Even with that, assuming how they were lucky in MetLife Stadium, how they found their way to keep the ring warm, and how the Northeast is a home base, it seems like Gillette Stadium getting a Wrestlemania is inevitably going to happen sooner rather than later. (Even if Foxboro is a super-small town, Foxboro's always seen as "halfway between Boston [big enough] and Providence [for hotel room overflow]" anyway, so there's enough to make it not farfetched.)

Truth be told, it was pretty fucking cold in the upper deck. Taker's fireballs were the most over thing on the show in my section right above the entrance.

What about his dong? *chortle*

Plus Indy is gonna burn that motherfucker down this weekend anyway

(kidding. Saw your avatar and had to bust balls)

On a related venue note, where do you guys think they're gonna move Summerslam to? If it's Barclays I might be kinda pissed. I feel they should just stack the card and try for Red Bull Stadium, but anything less than near-capacity is gonna look like shit on TV

St. Louis seems lucky to have gotten anything as big as the Rumble or Survivor Series.  The Scottrade Center is fine for a Raw or a PPV of that nature, but not nearly big enough for something like Mania or 'Slam.  Meanwhile, the Dome hasn't been used for wrestling since the WCW days.

So, I don't think this has been posted yet, but Daniel Bryan did a very candid interview with Alternative Nation, speaking on topics ranging from Triple H's mind for wrestling/NXT being the bestest, Vince's thoughts on millennials (the best part), and having to change his style. To clear the record, he states that he wasn't supposed to be in the main event of WM 30 and the crowd reactions forced their hand, so we can end that silly debate. The interview can be found here.

Best excerpt:

What I am ambitious about is I want to be the best wrestler that I can possibly be, and I think there’s some sort of mistake in generations, as far as what he thinks as far as our generation lacking ambition. Our generation just wants different things than what his generation wants, and I think that’s a societal thing as well. There’s an older generation of people who say, ‘No, you guys should want this, you guys should want this, you guys should want this.’ Whereas our generation, a lot of us say, ‘No, we don’t want that, we want something different, and a lot of the things that you guys wanted, are the reason that the world is messed up. We need to change our value system.’ So that’s it, that’s a very different take on what’s going on.

• Like 1

St. Louis seems lucky to have gotten anything as big as the Rumble or Survivor Series.  The Scottrade Center is fine for a Raw or a PPV of that nature, but not nearly big enough for something like Mania or 'Slam.  Meanwhile, the Dome hasn't been used for wrestling since the WCW days.

It always amused me when WCW was running dome shows for tv tapings. They had to be drawing what maybe 10-15,000 in a stadium that was half tarped off.

On Reddit a couple months ago, Metsfan correctly said Summerslam would be in New Jersey but he said it would be at Red Bulls Stadium. It's a 25,000 seat soccer stadium. I always thought a soccer stadium would be an interesting look for a show. There were rumors a couple years ago the WWE was thinking of doing Summerslam at Manchester United's stadium in England.

They could always move Summerslam to Citi Field if its possible. It's a shame the WWE didn't do a Shea Stadium show before they tore it down so this would be a good chance. Yankee Stadium is more open now to other events so there's always that as well.

Yeah, but it would be better if he loses next week and we get back to back years of Rey Mysterio coming out at #30 to a wall of boos though, amiright?

Have Bryan win this week and then have Kane break the record for most eliminations ever by eliminating Bryan or have someone take out Bryan before the Rumble and replace him in the match or have a random Bluetista appear and eliminate Bryan. There's tons of ways to troll the audience. Hell I'd have Tommy Dreamer make a one-off appearance and eliminate Bryan. Would be interesting to see how the Philly crowd would react to that one.

Wrestling Observer is reporting that Tough Enough will be returning to the USA network. The format is a little different in which the contestants are individuals signed by the WWE, but have not yet appeared on television.

EDIT: Apparently I cannot link directly to the story, but it's on the front page of the observer site.

Wrestling Observer is reporting that Tough Enough will be returning to the USA network. The format is a little different in which the contestants are individuals signed by the WWE, but have not yet appeared on television.

EDIT: Apparently I cannot link directly to the story, but it's on the front page of the observer site.

So, Performance Center guys who haven't made NXT, basically. Not a bad idea at all. Wonder if Chad Gable's loss to Breeze counts as "appeared on television" - he's perfect for that kind of show.

Yeah, but it would be better if he loses next week and we get back to back years of Rey Mysterio coming out at #30 to a wall of boos though, amiright?

Have Bryan win this week and then have Kane break the record for most eliminations ever by eliminating Bryan or have someone take out Bryan before the Rumble and replace him in the match or have a random Bluetista appear and eliminate Bryan. There's tons of ways to troll the audience. Hell I'd have Tommy Dreamer make a one-off appearance and eliminate Bryan. Would be interesting to see how the Philly crowd would react to that one.

If Big Dave is busy, since they are in Philly, Blue Meanie could play Bluetista, so the fans won't get mad when he tosses Bryan out of there.