DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just remembered that TNA's weekly PPVs were only $9.99. I'm surprised Dixie Carter hasn't said that WWE stole THAT from her yet.

Dixie wasn't even there yet.

Panda bought into TNA in 2003 so she was there for the majority of the weekly PPV era.

So, TNA is on life support since 2003...wow.

You have to admire the Carter's and how they'll blindly just throw millions of dollars away and not expect to make anything back in return. I know it's been said that TNA is the worlds largest tax write off but you'd think maybe just making a little money would be nice.

A tribute to the WWE Class of '14.

I forgotten what Hawkins looked like and wonder when he got a hair cut. They should've just announced Punk's firing on 6/12/2014 like the other guys that got axed that day.

And the only person in that video that is really missed is Justin Roberts tbh Though Teddy Long's impact is being felt every damn week now.

Lawler might have to postpone his UFC career now.

Also, Baylor got a TD reception from a 6'7/390lb lineman who should randomly go to Orlando if he ever needs work. Plus if they need a back story for him, he went to Boys Ranch in Amarillo, founded by former pro wrestler Cal Farley.

These motherfuckers changed the price of WK9 to $34.99 and $44.99 for HD.  It had been listed as $9.99 for weeks.

It doesn't seem like it was ever supposed to be less than $35.  Metlzer said it would be $35/$45 HD.  Global indicated it would be $35, a couple other mentions I saw listed the price as $35, and at least some of the cable companies listing it a couple weeks ago had the price as $35/$45.  It doesn't seem reasonable to expect to get it for $10.

I don't get the "WWE is giving us PPV's for $9.99.  Every other wrestling company on earth should charge $10 for PPV's or IPPV's.   First off, any other wrestling-related PPV on earth is going to get a fraction of the buys a WWE PPV gets.  Secondly, WWE is willing to sacrifice PPV revenue for it's long-term objective: growing the network subscriber base.  Thirdly, a fair chunk of the revenue WWE is losing out on would have been paid to the cable company satellite provider, anyway. 

WWE is operating a business model no other wrestling company is going to be able to replicate.

While hearing JR's commentary for guys like Okada/Nakamura/Styles and etc would be cool, paying $9 for a month of NJPW World to see the Japanese feed of WK9 + an archive of 1000+ matches, is a way better deal than spending $35 for just the GFW feed of WK9. I have no problems watching shows on my laptop.

I understand why people who aren't too familiar with New Japan would opt for the ppv though.

WWE is operating a business model no other wrestling company is going to be able to replicate.

I feel like TNA has the backing for that, but for some fucking reason, Panda Energy has not pulled the plug on it yet. Isn't there a tax break for companies if one part of the company is failing? I think I remember hearing that some where.

I feel like TNA has the backing for that, but for some fucking reason, Panda Energy has not pulled the plug on it yet. Isn't there a tax break for companies if one part of the company is failing? I think I remember hearing that some where.

Yes. TNA exists solely because of the tax breaks it gives Panda.

It's not that I thought it should be $9.99, it's that my cable company had it listed as such and then changed it.  Someone messed up is all. I'm still getting it, but now it needs to be a good show or I will run here and complain about it and then come to terms with how I lost money.

If any of y'all are man enough to watch it, Lipsticks and Dynamite is on Netflix streaming right now.

Mae Young rules. She tells a great story of women wanting to be her to the point they are bleaching their hair. She also talked about how everyone loved the way she worked as a clip of her fucking hammering some broad's chest is show. But the story of her being her own lawyer/preacher and convincing a jury she was innocent of murder was just crazy.

I haven't watched it a while, but it was interesting for the old women to ask why are the women of today are wrestling when they aren't trying to convey any emtion from the crowd. Even Moolah (I think) goes "Why are they wrestling? to prove they are athletic?" The film is 10 years old, but I think it still brings up a lot of good points. While I am not a fan of her's, it definitely highlights why someone would be into how Alicia Fox wrestles.

I haven't watched it a while, but it was interesting for the old women to ask why are the women of today are wrestling when they aren't trying to convey any emtion from the crowd. Even Moolah (I think) goes "Why are they wrestling? to prove they are athletic?" The film is 10 years old, but I think it still brings up a lot of good points. While I am not a fan of her's, it definitely highlights why someone would be into how Alicia Fox wrestles.

In all fairness, though, you could easily say the same thing about the vast majority of male wrestlers too.

• Like 1

In all fairness, though, you could easily say the same thing about the vast majority of male wrestlers too.

True.

People think women wrestlers got it bad now haven't watched this documentary. Could things be better? Sure. But fucking Billy Wolfe for a roster spot seems like a terrible thing. Or worst, getting in there with Moolah for 90 minutes as she was living the gimmick and didn't care about no one else but her girls.

These motherfuckers changed the price of WK9 to $34.99 and $44.99 for HD. It had been listed as $9.99 for weeks.

It doesn't seem like it was ever supposed to be less than $35. Metlzer said it would be $35/$45 HD. Global indicated it would be $35, a couple other mentions I saw listed the price as $35, and at least some of the cable companies listing it a couple weeks ago had the price as $35/$45. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect to get it for $10.

I don't get the "WWE is giving us PPV's for $9.99. Every other wrestling company on earth should charge $10 for PPV's or IPPV's. First off, any other wrestling-related PPV on earth is going to get a fraction of the buys a WWE PPV gets. Secondly, WWE is willing to sacrifice PPV revenue for it's long-term objective: growing the network subscriber base. Thirdly, a fair chunk of the revenue WWE is losing out on would have been paid to the cable company satellite provider, anyway.

Well the wrestling as a pay per view model was arguably invented by WWE. There is nothing set in stone that says every wrestling venture needs to be on ppv.

You would think the business model of a wrestling venture would be to draw up interest and demand before expecting people to lay out $25 plus. Especially when there is so much free content floating around.

However, it seems like every non-WWE co thinks the business model is to throw a relatively unknown product up on ppv, announce it as a triumph that it's on ppv, charge a non-competitive price and......profit.

A tribute to the WWE Class of '14.

"this is to let them know the fans will always remember them"

cos like.. you can never see them wrestle again now they're gone from WWE

Poor JTG. Way to open that wound again.

worst picking up of a phone, ever

I just watched the GLOW documentary on Netflix. It's so good. I've been looking for clips on Youtube because of it.

Mout Fiji is awesome. There's a clip of her in the film with 10 women trying to take her out of a battle royal and she just starts swatting away like flies.