DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Am I absolutely insane to think that WWE doesn't need to do anything above and beyond the usual Wrestlemania card/build to draw 100,000 plus?  They've hit 70-80 thousand pretty consistently for over a decade.  I realize that's claimed attendance but I don't remember Meltzer and company claiming fraudulent numbers for any show but Mania 3.  

I assume they'll sell the vast majority of tickets months before any matches are announced anyhow.

For the Texas wrestlemania, surely it'll be the Austin show? Cena finally turning heel after a long slow burn through 2015 and start of 16 and dominating WWE, perhaps due to his own paranoia ala Austin and joining with the Authority to keep his title. Only man who can regain stability in the WWE Universe is brought out by Vince McMahon to get his show back - *glass shatters*. Seems so simple and logical to do that, and would get 345353535345 buys. 

For the Texas wrestlemania, surely it'll be the Austin show? Cena finally turning heel after a long slow burn through 2015 and start of 16 and dominating WWE, perhaps due to his own paranoia ala Austin and joining with the Authority to keep his title. Only man who can regain stability in the WWE Universe is brought out by Vince McMahon to get his show back - *glass shatters*. Seems so simple and logical to do that, and would get 345353535345 buys. 

"Cena finally turning heel"

Nope.

"Seems so simple and logical to do that"

There's the problem.

• Like 1

A new article on WWE.com, Daniel Bryan names the 15 Greatest Matches of His Career:

15. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (WWE SummerSlam 2013)

14. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (Street Fight) (RAW, 6/24/13)

13. Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk (WWE Over the Limit 2012)

12. Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima (Fight Without Honor) (ROH Final Battle 2008)

11. Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins (RAW, 6/10/13)

10. Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro (RAW, 7/22/13)

9. Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuiness (ROH Unified 2006)

8. Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA (ROH Glory by Honor 2006)

7. Daniel Bryan vs. William Regal (Superstars, 11/11/11)

6. Daniel Bryan, Kane, & Ryback vs. The Shield (TLC Match) (WWE TLC 2012)

5. Daniel Bryan, Kane, & The Undertaker vs. The Shield (RAW, 4/22/13)

4. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus (2/3 Falls Match) (WWE Extreme Rules 2012)

3. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H (WWE WrestleMania 30)

2. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista (WWE WrestleMania 30)

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Robbie Brookside (EWP Glide Wrestling Festival 2003 Tag 3)

Cool to see his earlier career covered, surprised the Cena match wasn't top 5.

via Pitchfork

The Mountain Goats have announced a new album, the first since 2012's Transcendental Youth. It's called Beat the Champ, and it's out April 7 in North America, April 13 in Europe, and April 3 in Australia/New Zealand, via Merge. John Darnielle also shared a song called "The Legend of Chavo Guerrero", which you can listen to above. The song is about pro wrestler Chavo Guerrero Sr., who Darnielle calls his "childhood hero." 

As you might be able to surmise from the cover (which was designed by artist Leela Corman) and the song, the album is largely about pro wrestling. Darnielle wrote a little about the album on his Tumblr, where he explained the subject matter:

Or, as he says, the songs are "really more about death and difficult-to-navigate interior spaces than wrestling." 

All that glory. All that shine. Nameless bodies in unremembered rooms. Some people might be thinking to themselves, JD, wrestling, I don’t know, I’ve never really been into wrestling, but did I steer you wrong with the Bible album, even though you may not have been super-into the Bible? Fear not. In a world of false promises and hollow gimmicks, please rest assured that the old maxim still holds true, whether scrawled on the back of a claim check or carved into a bench in an abandoned locker room: you can’t trust much, but you can trust the Mountain Goats.

He also wrote about the album on Merge's website:

A deluxe edition of the album on colored vinyl will come with the "Blood Capsules" b/w "Dub Capsules" 12".

Beat the Champ is about professional wrestling, which was an avenue of escape for me when I was a kid. Wrestling was low-budget working class entertainment back then, strictly UHF material. It was cheap theater. You had to bring your imagination to the proceedings and you got paid back double. I wrote these songs to re-immerse myself in the blood and fire of the visions that spoke to me as a child, and to see what more there might be in them now that I'm grown.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58158-mountain-goats-announce-pro-wrestling-themed-lp-beat-the-champ-share-the-legend-of-chavo-guerrero/

• Like 1

via Pitchfork

The Mountain Goats have announced a new album, the first since 2012's Transcendental Youth. It's called Beat the Champ, and it's out April 7 in North America, April 13 in Europe, and April 3 in Australia/New Zealand, via Merge. John Darnielle also shared a song called "The Legend of Chavo Guerrero", which you can listen to above. The song is about pro wrestler Chavo Guerrero Sr., who Darnielle calls his "childhood hero."

As you might be able to surmise from the cover (which was designed by artist Leela Corman) and the song, the album is largely about pro wrestling. Darnielle wrote a little about the album on his Tumblr, where he explained the subject matter:

Or, as he says, the songs are "really more about death and difficult-to-navigate interior spaces than wrestling."

All that glory. All that shine. Nameless bodies in unremembered rooms. Some people might be thinking to themselves, JD, wrestling, I don’t know, I’ve never really been into wrestling, but did I steer you wrong with the Bible album, even though you may not have been super-into the Bible? Fear not. In a world of false promises and hollow gimmicks, please rest assured that the old maxim still holds true, whether scrawled on the back of a claim check or carved into a bench in an abandoned locker room: you can’t trust much, but you can trust the Mountain Goats.

He also wrote about the album on Merge's website:

A deluxe edition of the album on colored vinyl will come with the "Blood Capsules" b/w "Dub Capsules" 12".

Beat the Champ is about professional wrestling, which was an avenue of escape for me when I was a kid. Wrestling was low-budget working class entertainment back then, strictly UHF material. It was cheap theater. You had to bring your imagination to the proceedings and you got paid back double. I wrote these songs to re-immerse myself in the blood and fire of the visions that spoke to me as a child, and to see what more there might be in them now that I'm grown.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58158-mountain-goats-announce-pro-wrestling-themed-lp-beat-the-champ-share-the-legend-of-chavo-guerrero/

I hope this means the Greg Valentinme song will finally be on an album.

I was listening to my Ipod on shuffle yesterday.A Tribe Called Quests, "Keeping it Moving" popped up featuring this gem:

If you ever try to combat, Sir Walter moves the king
We got the illy team that doesn't even sweat the gleam
Or glamour, we'll figure 4 your ass like Greg the Hammer

• Like 1

Nigel McGuinness' L.A. Fights kickstarter has only got 11 days to go and it's got less than half what he's asking for. Bummer. :(

What happens to the money people donated, do they get it back? If not, that's a lousy way to lose some coin.

Tara tells a story about the time she spent $6,000 of her own money to promote a TNA show in Chicago at her restaurant, The Squared Circle. When asked if she knew about it, TNA President Dixie Carter only said, “Yeah, I heard.” Tara also held a party for some of the talent at her restaurant while they were in town. While they were there, two people from the TNA offices sent an email to the roster asking them to promote another pizza place in Chicago on Twitter as being “the best pizza they’ve ever had.”

Tara says that when she found out about it, she went off and told Bruce Pritchard, “The day I leave my job, I’m punching that c*** in the face,” in reference to Dixie. He replied that she’d be doing them all a favor. She says when she did podcasts to promote TNA and was asked how having a female boss was, she would have to lie and say how wonderful it is, which “made her want to vomit.”

http://www.diva-dirt.com/106684/tara-talks-issues-with-dixie-carter-the-current-diva-who-has-everything-helping-aspiring-wrestlers-more/

That exchange with Prichard is amazing.

It really is amazing, Pritchard was probably right too, I can't imagine many of the talent actually like Dixie. It's nice to see someone who worked for TNA, especially a woman, speak out about how shitty of a boss and person Dixie is. I can't recall anyone with name value having done so, at least not to THAT degree.

TNA is such a shithouse company, I can't fathom a talent going up to someone like Finlay or Arn, calling Steph that, saying they want to punch her in the face, and them being like "yeah please do". I can't wait until TNA finally dies and we get everyone telling all these stories or anarchy and misery and saying how they really feel about her.

I thought the bit about Lana was really interesting as I honestly had no idea if she was ever going to wrestle. All the rumors and shit about why or why not were turning her into Fulton Reed.