DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't really think Brock Lesnar's serious about returning to MMA.  I just think he's using a potential MMA comeback as negotiating leverage.  Upping his stock on a bluff.

WWE's got more than enough talent to split the roster.  They've got like a hundred people under contract.  They've got eight hours of first-run TV and a network with 24-hour coverage.

I just don't think they have the right mindset to do it correctly.  Theoretically, they should give SmackDown to Triple H and let him choose his own crew so they can see if he can hack it on something with bigger stakes than NXT.

• Like 1

I always liked Mike Awesome in WCW. I thought he was criminally miscast. Even in WWE, I thought he could've been better than he was. I wonder why he didn't get more play in either promotion...

• Like 3

He was a "big guy" only within the scale of ECW which was largely smaller indy-ish guys.  Once he got to a bigger stage, he was a mid-sized guy and that probably didn't help his cause since most of his arsenal was power-based.

I can't even fathom what kind of card WWE could throw together to fill Cowboys Stadium right now. With Sting in the fold, Lesnar possibly gone and Undertaker's streak over, they don't really have anymore aces up their sleeve.

Maybe Shawn Michaels comes out of retirement?

Assuming Austin doesn't return and they don't try to wheel Hogan out for one more match, the best in-house main event that I can think of is Ambrose/Reigns/Rollins for the title, if they can keep the three relatively separate for the next year, which will be next to impossible.

Maybe Hollywood heel Rock vs. Daniel Bryan?

One surefire way to fill the stadium is Cena finally turning heel and main eventing against whoever, but I doubt they do that.

While we're on the subject on 'Mania in Dallas... when do those tickets go on sale? My festival buddy lives in Austin, and we're already making plans to skip festivals next year and just do WrestleMania instead.

I can't even fathom what kind of card WWE could throw together to fill Cowboys Stadium right now. With Sting in the fold, Lesnar possibly gone and Undertaker's streak over, they don't really have anymore aces up their sleeve.

It's WrestleMania.  It almost doesn't matter what the card is anymore.  That'll be the closest WM will ever get to me, and I'll go even with an Ascension/New Day main event.

WM27 was probably one of the more lackluster cards they ever had and it still did 70,000. 

I do think getting Austin back one last time (especially getting to end it in the city where he started) could legit break the WM3 number.

Bryan has been saying in interviews lately that he wants to make SD "his" show. That's why his return match was on SD (which was his idea) and why his big stipulation match for the Rumble against Kane is on SD. He also talked about bringing back King of the Ring and having the matches exclusively on SD. I seem to also recall reading something a bit ago about how they are considering a "soft" brand split, whereas there won't be anything official and won't be separate titles or anything, but there will be guys who are primarily featured on one show. Cena would be the top RAW guy and Bryan the top SD guy.

That said, I do think there is more than enough talent to fill two shows. There are guys like Ryder and Justin Gabriel and Slater who haven't been seen in months who could be put on one of the shows and given renewed pushes and start to matter again. A guy like Cesaro would've been great on SD during the hard brand split years ago and would've actually been given a real chance.

Fantasy booking time. Let me pretend I'm playing Smackdown v. RAW and have to split the rosters between the shows using the current lineup.

RAW:                                                 SD:

John Cena                                         Daniel Bryan

Randy Orton                                      Bray Wyatt

Big Show                                            Dolph Ziggler

Wade Barrett                                      A New Day (Kofi, Big E, Xavier Woods)

The Usos                                            Bo Dallas

The Miz                                               Sin Cara

Damien Miz-dow                                  Adam Rose

Roman Reigns                                    Cesaro

Seth Rollins                                         Dean Ambrose

Kane                                                   Fandando

Eric Rowan                                         Luke Harper

Goldust                                               The Ascension

Stardust                                              Heath Slater

Ryback                                               Jack Swagger

Sheamus                                            Los Matadores

Mark Henry                                         Titus O'Neil

R-Truth                                               Zach Ryder

Maybe not a perfect split, but it shows that they certainly do have more than enough guys to fill two shows and still have a decent amount of talent and star power on both.

The final four would be John Cena, Triple H, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar because the millennials didn't want it enough to win.

I ran out of likes (stupid quota system) so just know this post was appreciated.

• Like 1

I always wanted to see that and not in a fanboy way but I always wanted Cena break the streak i don't know why but I just wanted to see it. I think its for the perverse fantasy of Cena winning and immediately turning heel.

I can't see the most over guy in the company being moved to Smackdown. I think Reigns would benefit more from it. Ambrose and Ziggler are also guys you could consider for the top babyface spot on the second brand. I think the return of split rosters would really help the NXT guys when they get called up. Zayn, Neville, Itami, Balor, Owens, Breeze the new Smackdown 6 with HHH booking.

The old formula of getting guys over on Smackdown first(like, Cena, Punk, and Bryan) was great.

• Like 1

They could have filled AT&T Stadium with Cena trying to break the streak, but that's over now.

I have to think Vince will hard sell Rock, Austin, and HBK to wrestle at 32. HBK looked in great shape on Raw. Rock vs HBK is a big time dream match to WWE's audience that they've never seen. Austin is a big Cena mark a match in Texas between those two would be insane.

Two former professional wrestlers accuse the WWE of "selling violence" while ignoring concussions that they say left them with serious brain injuries.

The men, including one who performed under the name Skull Von Krush

:lol:

• Like 1

I don't know who Evan Singleton/Adam Mercer is.

I vaguely remember him.  WWE signed him when he was 19 and he lasted less than a year in FCW.  He was on FCW tv tapings a couple times.

Cagematch says he wrestled 8 matches in FCW.  6 of them were house shows.

Gonna be hard for a guy that wrestled for years in ECW and WCW to prove concussions suffered in the WWE were the cause of his brain injuries (and not prior concussions).

• Like 1

I can't see the most over guy in the company being moved to Smackdown. I think Reigns would benefit more from it. Ambrose and Ziggler are also guys you could consider for the top babyface spot on the second brand. I think the return of split rosters would really help the NXT guys when they get called up. Zayn, Neville, Itami, Balor, Owens, Breeze the new Smackdown 6 with HHH booking.

The old formula of getting guys over on Smackdown first(like, Cena, Punk, and Bryan) was great.

Regins has main evented Smackdown a lot since he came back from injury. It sort of has become The Roman Reigns Show.

They could have filled AT&T Stadium with Cena trying to break the streak, but that's over now.

I have to think Vince will hard sell Rock, Austin, and HBK to wrestle at 32. HBK looked in great shape on Raw. Rock vs HBK is a big time dream match to WWE's audience that they've never seen. Austin is a big Cena mark a match in Texas between those two would be insane.

Wha? He had to old-man climb into and out of the kneeling position from his entrance, and while he was exaggerating it a bit for the crowd, he was legit blown up by that entrance. Yeah, he looked better than Hogan and Flair, but that's not really the measuring stick you want to use when it comes to stepping back into the ring.

Shawn seems absolutely done to me, there was a moment I thought we were gonna get Bryan/HBK last year which would have been awesome but yeah he seems more content with his life shooting deer and his faith than coming back to break his knees in again. He looked in decent shape due to the 3XL camo shirt he had draped over his skinny frame. WM32 is Austin's, if they can't get him then it's the Taker retirement match vs. Sting that sells it.. I guess.