DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

There is just so much dead weight on Raw.  It's 3 hours and always runs over by about 15 minutes, but half of it seems like recaps, tedious, needlessly long promos, and other superfluous bullshit.  It's amazing that NXT and ROH's weekly shows can have 3 solid matches, a few promos and vignettes that get across whatever they need to all within an hour.

• Like 1

What if the first hour of RAW was all sports entertainment and the second two hours had wrestling. So instead of booking a 3 hour show. They script one hour of promos and two hours of wrestling with a promo here and there?

They did that with Nitro. It stank.

If they're gonna have a chunk of vignettes, maybe have it midshow and use it to cover up an intermission.

If they're not gonna turn down money for 3hrs, then have a 3hr slot and try to make the content for 2 hours. Maybe don't have overruns either. Or have the top stuff not as backloaded

I wonder if they could work something out with USA to make the 8-9 hour a pre-show simulcast on the network. Do some more in depth interviews with guys (i.e. the JR/Goldust and JR/Mankind ones from 1997, or more recently, the Cole/HHH sitdowns) interspersed with the desk segments previewing the night's matches, and then stick one or two "exclusive" matches on there that showcase lower midcard guys, or NXT guys about to be called up

In two weeks an aging QB that thinks he's a model once again loses a championship game to an elite defense? Is that what you were going to type? Because, you know, that's the probable outcome. 

EDIT: I'm not serious about that above thing. Should be a good game...even if I have a rooting interest and strongly dislike Tommy Brady. 

• Like 1

Here's a random thought:

Chris Nowinski started a lot of the concussion awareness stuff because of his own concussion suffered because of a botched table spot in a match against the Dudleys. If Nowinski never gets that concussion then he never starts the concussion awareness stuff.

Are The Dudley Boyz the accidental cause for the concussion discussion or would someone else had started it all if Nowinski hadn't? 

• Like 1

that Benoit dude, probably. Any doctor doing an autopsy could have told you that his brain was the way it was because of way too many concussions, Nowinski's concussion awareness group just pushed it into the public eye. But that is/was a big story and would have changed the views on it regardless.

Since the conversation turned to concussions again, is there a difference between taking a chair shot the way Steve Austin used to do (chair striking only his hands) and someone getting thrown headfirst into the Elimination Chamber or a steel cage?

There seems to be plenty of outrage nowadays whenever there is a chair shot to the head: protected or not.

EDIT: I am vehemently opposed to unprotected chair shots. I have no problem with a wrestler taking a protected chair shot since the head isn't taking any impact.

revising the list. Top TV markets and Wrestlemanias.

1 New York 1985, 1986 (partially), 1994, 2004, 2013

2 Los Angeles 1986 (partially), 1991, 1996, 2000, 2005
3 Chicago 1986 (partially), 1997, 2006
4 Philadelphia 1999
rl. Toronto 1990, 2002
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2016
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose 2015
7 Boston 1998
8 Atlanta 2011
9 Washington, DC
10 Houston 2001, 2009
11 Detroit 1987, 2007
12 Phoenix 2010
13 Tampa-St. Petersburg
14 Seattle-Tacoma 2003
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale 2012
17 Cleveland-Akron
18 Denver
19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne 2008
20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
sw. Montreal

25 Indianapolis 1992

30 Hartford-New Haven 1995

42 Las Vegas 1993

53 New Orleans 2014

n/a Atlantic City 1988, 1989 (technically part of Philadelphia market)

• Like 1

I really don't think another brand split would fix anything. That was part of the problem that got things off the rails in the first place, in my opinion. Two shows, two world titles, two champions, one show always being the "B" show, one title always being the "B" title, half the PPVs being "B" PPVs & then trying to act like it was a big deal when two mid-card jobbers faced against each other, one from RAW & one from Smackdown. Then the shows feature replays of the other shows & both start with opening diatribes and it just didn't do anything for me.

How would that help anything? That just means that instead of watching a 3-hour RAW, which most agree is too long, you would need to tune-in to Smackdown & it's 2-hours instead of just ignoring that it exists.

"Bring back the brand split!" is up there with "re-hire Vince Russo!" for me. Just something that I will never be on board with. That's not the problem. You would still have the same creative teams just spread EVEN MORE thin and trying to write for two more hours every week.

I don't think the 'B' Title was remotely a problem. Edge made a Hall of Fame career out of that title, the Mark Henry Title reign was awesome in a way that 'Mark Henry: IC Champ' would not have been. I've made my point about this before, I won't labour it any further than to say that the World Heavyweight Title has generally been pretty awesome. Oh yeah, and Eddy (who was WWE Champ, but only because the WHT was on RAW). 

The Smackdown PPVs didn't work so I'm not in favour of bringing those back. But RAW vs Smackdown stuff often did feel special when it happened. Remember King Booker: Champion of Champions? And yes, it protected match ups.

As someone else said, the split brands allowed a deeper roster to be utilised. WWE without undercard gimmicks is missing something - if NXT has proved anything it has proved this. There are guys like the VaudeVillains who would have been awesome on the Smackdown undercard but really have no place to go in the current set up.