DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I really don't think another brand split would fix anything. That was part of the problem that got things off the rails in the first place, in my opinion. Two shows, two world titles, two champions, one show always being the "B" show, one title always being the "B" title, half the PPVs being "B" PPVs & then trying to act like it was a big deal when two mid-card jobbers faced against each other, one from RAW & one from Smackdown. Then the shows feature replays of the other shows & both start with opening diatribes and it just didn't do anything for me.

How would that help anything? That just means that instead of watching a 3-hour RAW, which most agree is too long, you would need to tune-in to Smackdown & it's 2-hours instead of just ignoring that it exists.

"Bring back the brand split!" is up there with "re-hire Vince Russo!" for me. Just something that I will never be on board with. That's not the problem. You would still have the same creative teams just spread EVEN MORE thin and trying to write for two more hours every week.

• Like 5

Getting sick of Facebook telling me about Marc Mero.

How in the hell did Marc Mero become a "famous" inspirational speaker? Who in the hell wants to take life advice from MARC MERO?

Counterpoints:

1) he made more money than I'll ever see in my life

2) he got to smash Sable for a bunch of years

3) he's as pretty as a picture

4) he looks just like Little Richard

I'll listen to pretty much anything that dude has to say

Brock Lesnar did 1 and 2 and those are the most inspirational aspects of his story. 

I'd probably pay a lot of money to see Lesnar as a motivational speaker. 

• Like 1

The best things about the brand split to me was that it gave a LOT of guys TV time they otherwise wouldn't have gotten and gave midcarders stories/feuds, stuff like London vs Kidman getting an extended feud with a featured PPV match. And that it also felt like a big deal when certain guys from opposing brands crossed paths like when Angle got drafted to RAW in 05 and faced off with Triple H, it really felt like it had been years since they'd been in the ring together or Cena's memorable draft to Raw or when Evolution and JBL's cabinet had a backstage confrontation in passing at one of the joint PPVs. But I also understand not wanting it back these days.

• Like 2

Getting sick of Facebook telling me about Marc Mero.

How in the hell did Marc Mero become a "famous" inspirational speaker? Who in the hell wants to take life advice from MARC MERO?

Counterpoints:

1) he made more money than I'll ever see in my life

2) he got to smash Sable for a bunch of years

3) he's as pretty as a picture

4) he looks just like Little Richard

I'll listen to pretty much anything that dude has to say

Don't be fooled by his looks thought.

He's got a mean left hook.

I don't understand why the "brand split" can't just be an unofficial thing, like A and B house shows. Just make it known that Thursday nights are going to be dominated by Bryan, Ziggler, and Barrett in the mains every week, with the IC and/or US as the top title instead of bringing back the WHC.

To be honest, I think Smackdown should be moved to Mondays and become the main TV show. I mean, sure, Raw has been on Mondays for 22 years, but "Smackdown" is in the dictionary! It's now part of the American cultural lexicon. Everything from car commercials to shitty, low budget campaign ads for local politicians employs the word Smackdown. Why not take advantage of that?

As a matter of fact, an idea would be to run Smackdown on Mondays, and then Raw is live on the network on Tuesday nights-- If the perception is that Raw is the #1 show, this will definitely get some subscribers who have been holding out for better stuff. Then just have Thursday be Main Event or Superstars or whatever on SyFy

The reason for the brand split is largely about Cena. I get why WWE keeps Cena as the face of the promotion. He brings in tons of dough and is a great ambassador. That's being said, he panders to children and a large percentage of the fans are sick of him and want something different. 

Why not give it to them? Treat Smackdown as an A-show for adults.  

• Like 1

There is just so much dead weight on Raw.  It's 3 hours and always runs over by about 15 minutes, but half of it seems like recaps, tedious, needlessly long promos, and other superfluous bullshit.  It's amazing that NXT and ROH's weekly shows can have 3 solid matches, a few promos and vignettes that get across whatever they need to all within an hour.

• Like 1

What if the first hour of RAW was all sports entertainment and the second two hours had wrestling. So instead of booking a 3 hour show. They script one hour of promos and two hours of wrestling with a promo here and there?

They did that with Nitro. It stank.

If they're gonna have a chunk of vignettes, maybe have it midshow and use it to cover up an intermission.

If they're not gonna turn down money for 3hrs, then have a 3hr slot and try to make the content for 2 hours. Maybe don't have overruns either. Or have the top stuff not as backloaded

I wonder if they could work something out with USA to make the 8-9 hour a pre-show simulcast on the network. Do some more in depth interviews with guys (i.e. the JR/Goldust and JR/Mankind ones from 1997, or more recently, the Cole/HHH sitdowns) interspersed with the desk segments previewing the night's matches, and then stick one or two "exclusive" matches on there that showcase lower midcard guys, or NXT guys about to be called up

In two weeks an aging QB that thinks he's a model once again loses a championship game to an elite defense? Is that what you were going to type? Because, you know, that's the probable outcome. 

EDIT: I'm not serious about that above thing. Should be a good game...even if I have a rooting interest and strongly dislike Tommy Brady. 

• Like 1