DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Fuck it, I just watched Benoit vs Finlay yesterday, and some other Benoit matches a week ago. I can separate the man with a totally fucked up brain who committed a horrible crime when he was out of his mind from the man who put on some excellent matches in the ring. I'm not looking at how the guy was as a father figure or as a husband, I'm looking at the guy in the ring as a performer. I wish none of that shit happened, but I don't see how a moratorium on watching his matches changes anything, unless you don't want to be reminded of the crimes, which you're already thinking about anyway before you see the guy in the ring.

• Like 3

Fuck it, I just watched Benoit vs Finlay yesterday, and some other Benoit matches a week ago. I can separate the man with a totally fucked up brain who committed a horrible crime when he was out of his mind from the man who put on some excellent matches in the ring. I'm not looking at how the guy was as a father figure or as a husband, I'm looking at the guy in the ring as a performer. I wish none of that shit happened, but I don't see how a moratorium on watching his matches changes anything, unless you don't want to be reminded of the crimes, which you're already thinking about anyway before you see the guy in the ring.

Yeah OJ is still funny as shit in them Naked Gun movies, ipso facto Benoit matches=guilt free. Art isn't reality.

• Like 2

Savage didn't actually fuck Stephanie. I think we all know that. It's just kinda funny to joke about, because screw the McMahon's. If it had actually happened, I don't think any of us would then joke about it or support Savage.

You dont believe that do you? People still support Benoit.

How are we defining "support" for Benoit? If its "Can watch his matches without feeling weird about it" (and for the record, I can't) that seems a far cry from "Is totally cool with the guy. I mean, people make mistakes, right?"

These are for sale.   I've seen someone wearing one. 

Did Patterson really do that shit? I honestly came away from Billy Graham's book thinking that he made all that shit up. But then again, the trailer for that Piper KC shoot sort of made me wonder.

If Roddy Piper tells you the sky is blue, I'd still recommend checking it yourself.

There was a period after the murders that I couldn't watch a Benoit match, but I'm at a point now where I can without automatically thinking about what happened at the end of his life. I don't watch a lot of his stuff, but I will once in a while. I've got a pretty warped sense of humor, so It's gotta be really bad for me to say something is fucked up, but someone wearing a "I'm a Chris Benoit guy" or Benoit 6:24 shirt is just beyond fucked up.

There was a period after the murders that I couldn't watch a Benoit match, but I'm at a point now where I can without automatically thinking about what happened at the end of his life. I don't watch a lot of his stuff, but I will once in a while. I've got a pretty warped sense of humor, so It's gotta be really bad for me to say something is fucked up, but someone wearing a "I'm a Chris Benoit guy" or Benoit 6:24 shirt is just beyond fucked up.

i'm with these guys.  i've seen dozens of Benoit matches since the murders/suicide. i enjoy them for what they are. clearly Benoit turned a corner late in his life, but his pro wrestling matches are aces and i will enjoy them regardless of all the shit that went down.

that being said, watching Sullivan/Benoit fight over Woman was rather uncomfortable when i watched that a year or so ago.

Yeah OJ is still funny as shit in them Naked Gun movies, ipso facto Benoit matches=guilt free. Art isn't reality.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, but I guess the difference for me is that OJ's acting wasn't possibly causing brain damage that was exacerbating his already unstable state as Benoit's wrestling might have been doing. Well, unless OJ was doing all his own stunts as Nordberg and getting his head stove in. 

• Like 1

Made it home tonight to catch 1 1/2 episodes of WGN's new reality show "Wrestling with Death". Some family in ARkansas owns a cattle farm,funeral home and runs a wrestling fed. Mid Southern Championship wrestling is the fed. But the best part is the owner's daughter just married Derrick King. So we get wacky situations with Derrick King being taken out to the farm and being taught "FARM THINGS!" 

Not to prolong the argument, and it's just the way I feel, but I go totally oppo on you guys on watching Benoit matches. More along the lines that every spot involving his head I wonder "how much of a factor was that"

You know, like the Jericho match were Benoit Suicide Dives into a chairshot? I can be into that match until that point, but the moment the chair swings I'm done. I feel like I'm watching a contributing factor in something that turned a guy into a murder suicide. It's corrupted to me. And I imagine Benoit matches always will.

Savage didn't actually fuck Stephanie. I think we all know that. It's just kinda funny to joke about, because screw the McMahon's. If it had actually happened, I don't think any of us would then joke about it or support Savage.

How are we defining "support" for Benoit? If its "Can watch his matches without feeling weird about it" (and for the record, I can't) that seems a far cry from "Is totally cool with the guy. I mean, people make mistakes, right?"

These are for sale.   I've seen someone wearing one. 

Sad but true, that's not even the worst shirt on that website. Click at your discretion:

1 2

These are for sale. I've seen someone wearing one.

Sad but true, that's not even the worst shirt on that website. Click at your discretion:

1 2

If I ever see someone wearing this, I might punch them in the face.

As someone who runs a WCW fansite, I can verify that there are a creepily large amount of folk who still worship Benoit but also believe he's innocent. I always saw it was a dumb Internet joke where people thought Kevin Sullivan did the murders but turns out there are mutants out there throwing that around like its an absolute fact.

Avoid Facebook at all costs, people.

• Like 1

Thing about the head trauma is that all of these guys are receiving it in every match they're in. It isn't just blows to the head, it's your body landing or hitting something, which jars your brain. It's great that they've reduced moves that deliver direct trauma to your head, but these guys are still messing up their brains badly. It's not a matter of if there will be a similar tragedy, but when. If Benoit's matches make you squeamish, how does every other match make you feel?

• Like 1

Not trying to play Sidney M. Basil here but Benoit always stuck me as having more issues than just head trauma. 

Anyway, just me personally, I can't watch Benoit matches because as soon as I see the guy, I think, "that's a guy who killed his wife and kid."  I can't separate the two.

• Like 1

I used to be in the "I can't watch Benoit matches anymore" camp.  Then I decided this year to go through and watch all the Royal Rumble's as a fun thing leading into this  years.  Which means, watching Benoit matches (yeah, I could skip his earler appearances where he had regular matches), and I can't skip the 04 and 05 Rumbles themselves.  You know what.  Whatever.  He's in them, he won 04.  I can seperate the two and just look at it as wrestling.

Shit, if we took out and refused to watch anything involving someone that did something horrible in wrestling, there'd only be about 5 guys to watch, and even that's questionable.