DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I watched just about every CZW show from 2002-2009 or so and aside from the deathmatch tournaments they never had more than one or two garbage matches per show.  They were similar to IWA-MS in that they had that reputation, but actually did a great job of the something for everyone aspect.  Sure a lot of the stuff they had was incredibly indy-tastic and not superb in terms of workrate, but they put on some quality stuff back then.  I stopped following them regularly around then and haven't paid much attention since, but all the results I look at and reviews I read suggest that they've toned things down and made a lot of effort in running a more "professional" (by indy standards anyways) outfit.

I do gotta admit, back in high school it was my friend lending me tapes of Best of the Best 2 & 3 that introduced me to indy wrestling.

Best of the Best 4 was pretty damn awesome. One of their shows I actually went to back when they ran at the arena. I remember Bobby Quance being great and then never hearing about him again.

MLB did a nice little feature on Randy Savage being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.  It is up on their home page now.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/01/12/106241484/wwe-hall-of-famer-macho-man-randy-savage-played-in-minors-for-reds-cardinals

Funny, the email I got from MLB on that had the subject line of WWE Hall honors ex-Minor Leaguer which made Rippa and I laugh far too much.

I have to admit I also enjoyed the 02-05 CZW. I liked what they did bringing in the California guys like super dragon, exclaiber, b-boy, bobby quance, etc. And the iws guys like Steen, Generic, eddy, beef Wellington.

I got burnt out on the deathmatch stuff myself, and the did the interpromotional war way too many times until they finally got it right with the ROH feud.

I do gotta admit, back in high school it was my friend lending me tapes of Best of the Best 2 & 3 that introduced me to indy wrestling.

Ditto, Best of the Best 3 was my first indy tape, and CZW were very much my indy of choice in the early 00s. Some of those old shows haven't aged brilliantly, and guys I always loved (Trent Acid, the Messiah, Cory Kastle) weren't as good as I thought in hindsight, but I do still dust down some of the tapes for a rewatch now and then.

"My Brother Randy will go into the hall of fame

Quite the accomplishment I must acclaim

But remember this HHH and you'll never be the same

Stephanie rode the madness before she played the game"

Boom fucking sauce. Print da money.

You won the internet. Shut it down.

I loved CZW right up until 2009ish, I dip in and out usually for Best of the Best, ToD and Cage of Death each year, the last I watched was Cage of Death 2013 which was pretty good. It had a great Drew Gulak v Chris Hero match and Chris Dickinson v Davey Richards was pretty good as well.

But Nick Gage coming back? Yeesh, the last thing that dude needs is more chair and light tube shots.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but people trumpeting the Savage-Stephanie rumors/innuendo as another thing that makes Savage an awesome dude rather than statutory rape (which, if you believe the rumors, it would almost certainly be) is weird to me.

• Like 1