DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So on my Facebook "Trending" feed on the right hand thingy, "Jeff Hardy - WWE Wrestler knocked out after falling from top of cage on to steel steps during match" is there.

What is funnier about this? That he's still acknowledged as "WWE Wrestler" 5+ years after leaving there and no mention of TNA or Impact is anywhere to be seen? Or that it's being reported as a shoot/real injury instead of just a crazy bump and storyline to write him off TV while they travel out of the country?

I think I was so traumatized by it that my mind blocked out the extent of the horror.

Cool thing about Crush is he kept the same name across five pretty different gimmicks.  That has to be a record.

Demolition Crush

Friendly Hawaiian Crush

Evil Mr. Fuji disciple Crush with face paint and different gear

Ex-Con N.O.D. Crush

Biker Crush (D.O.A.)

Brian Adams worked four Manias, each time with a different gimmick.  Another record.

Also everything he did, he did it for you.

• Like 2

Or in other words: "Hey, we know we've been blowing goats lately and ratings are freefalling, and we're getting obliterated by the NC game tonight, but watch us to see if we're bullshitting about putting in Savage.  Please?  Or else we'll blame tonight shitty ratings on Daniel Bryan and take him out of the Rumble!

Did someone mention Bret v. Vince for worst Mania moments? The build was pretty good and I was actually looking forward to it. 

All I remember is Bret delivering chair shot after chair shot after chair shot to a helpless old man and a crowd that didn't give a damn. It was uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Did someone mention Bret v. Vince for worst Mania moments? The build was pretty good and I was actually looking forward to it. 

All I remember is Bret delivering chair shot after chair shot after chair shot to a helpless old man and a crowd that didn't give a damn. It was uncomfortable. 

Fuck that crowd, I gave a shit about it so it will never be on the worst list for me.

• Like 1

Fuck that crowd, I gave a shit about it so it will never be on the worst list for me.

If that match had not been about five minutes too long, it would have been everything it needed to be.

Or in other words: "Hey, we know we've been blowing goats lately and ratings are freefalling, and we're getting obliterated by the NC game tonight, but watch us to see if we're bullshitting about putting in Savage.  Please?  Or else we'll blame tonight shitty ratings on Daniel Bryan and take him out of the Rumble!

I will laugh so hard if they contrive a way to keep the Authority off tv tonight.

• Like 1

So, take Smackdown's main event, swap out Ambrose for Cena, and you've got a PPV main event.

The one thing that that makes me hopeful for is that Lesnar/Bryan is going to headline Mania.

Seems more likely that it prepares us for Show or Reigns winning the Rumble. 

Show vs Cena for WM Main Event!!!!

SHUT YOUR FILTHY WORD-HOLE, CANADIAN!

WWE is being weird about Randy Savage right now. "Not official"? Hey asshole, you are the ones who sent out the texts and posted it on your website. Do they know they aren't an independent news organization???

You have to think it's a double no-brainer that Lanny accepts, Hogan inducts, right?

• Like 1

For bad Mania moments, how about the Savage/Crush "falls count anywhere" match at Mania X?  It was WWE's first clumsy attempt at EXTREEEEME and it was god awful.  Instead of a nice, simple FCA match, it was some convoluted Chutes and Ladders bullshit where you had to pin a guy (or just incapacitate him maybe?) and then return to the ring and wait.  If they couldn't get back to the ring in 60 seconds, you won.  Jesus Christ I'm getting confused just typing this.

So instead of the drama of a pinfall, we get the drama of watching the winner stand in the ring for a minute.

IIRC, Savage won by tying Crush to a scaffold so he couldn't get free in time to get back to the ring.  Yep.  The vicious blood feud essentially ended with one man lassoing the other and running away.

In the arena show build to that, the were working various concept matches. I remember them vaguely having an stretcher match at a house show I was at. 

Don't get excited. It was the stupid "push them over the white line" BS. 

The Savage/Crush stips (FCA, after a fall you have 60 seconds to get back in the ring) could work better now; you'd just need more high spots further from the ring.  I figured it was initially supposed to be like the old Texas Death Matches (with a rest period before the 10 count), but that certainly didn't happen.