DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think it would be even better if WWE went with two totally different teams for the two shows:

Smackdown: Saxton, JBL, Lawler

Raw: Cole, Booker T, Stevie Ray

Stevie Ray still has two of my favourite calls ever on WCW TV: the time he was interviewing Lex Luger on Thunder and said something along the lines of "Ten thousand people are sitting at home watching you" at which point, Tony Schiavone, obviously getting shit from someone in the back to cover goes "Yeah, ten thousand...in one house maybe!" and when he used to call the WCW valets "Yaks" and one night Tygress did a bronco buster and Stevie Ray SCREAMED into the mic: Faceful of Yak! Faceful of Yak! Faceful of Yak! Don't strike back!" and Tony Schiavone just burst into laughter.

Michael Cole trying to talk over Booker and Stevie would make Raws must-watch.

• Like 4

Honestly, even with Cole and being over-produced by Vince, putting Albert and Graves on RAW with Cole right now probably makes for a considerably better announcing situation on that show. 

• Like 1

Avoided all spoilers for Wrestle Kingdom until I could watch the show tonight with two friends. None of us walked away from the show feeling overly impressed. We talked about the show afterwards & all three of us pretty much agreed it didn't live up to our expectations.

My friends took off so I got online afterward to read about some wrestling, now not having to worry about accidentially reading any spoilers. I find the Wrestle Kingdom praise way over the top, with two matches that I thought were just OK getting 5-star reviews and it being called the best PPV in years.

I'm not sure what the hell I didn't see that everyone else did. I have been following New Japan for a few years now. I've seen all the Okada/Tanahashi matches. I've been watching wrestling for close to 30 years total now. In 2014 I watched more wrestling than I ever have. Maybe I'm just too jaded to appreciate things anymore. I know tastes are subjective & I don't think Okada/Tanahashi or Nakamura/Ibushi sucked or anything but I didn't think either were anywhere close to 5-stars and I was honestly shocked when I was reading all of the praise. Not just from Meltzer but from posters here on DVDVR & some other forums as well. Guess I'm the odd man out this time...

• Like 2

Avoided all spoilers for Wrestle Kingdom until I could watch the show tonight with two friends. None of us walked away from the show feeling overly impressed. We talked about the show afterwards & all three of us pretty much agreed it didn't live up to our expectations.

My friends took off so I got online afterward to read about some wrestling, now not having to worry about accidentially reading any spoilers. I find the Wrestle Kingdom praise way over the top, with two matches that I thought were just OK getting 5-star reviews and it being called the best PPV in years.

I'm not sure what the hell I didn't see that everyone else did. I have been following New Japan for a few years now. I've seen all the Okada/Tanahashi matches. I've been watching wrestling for close to 30 years total now. In 2014 I watched more wrestling than I ever have. Maybe I'm just too jaded to appreciate things anymore. I know tastes are subjective & I don't think Okada/Tanahashi or Nakamura/Ibushi sucked or anything but I didn't think either were anywhere close to 5-stars and I was honestly shocked when I was reading all of the praise. Not just from Meltzer but from posters here on DVDVR & some other forums as well. Guess I'm the odd man out this time...

complete cosign, only I was like super hesitant to speak up because I quit talking to the puro board years ago. It was an OK show, and I had fun watching it, but honestly it makes me think standards are still lowering. Like it's that weird to have half a card be good now. Especially re: Suzuki/Sakuraba, where I've seen a bunch of people say "I need to go check out UWF-i now!" Like if that's what you're expecting, it's not what you're going to get at all.

for those curious, favorite match was goto/shibata vs. karl/doc, least favorite was kenny omega/taguchi

because kenny omega is the worst

One, "two main events" is a gimmick. The match that goes on last is the main event.

Two, I did, as evidenced by the words "I watched the show." I didn't think they were that great amongst that card, let alone Tokyo Dome main events, and Tokyo Dome shit is overhyped anyways. Maybe it's the best main event of a show called Wrestle Kingdom, but I'd have to rewatch Nakamura/Takayama from 2010. Even then, that doesn't say a whole lot either if you go back and look at the other main events. I'm sorry, I've watched too much 90s New Japan to fuckin' know better than to call this the end-all. 

This is why I stopped posting on the puro board and been limited on the wrestling board: the growth of a fascination in saying the newest is the best because it's the best while you've been present. I get why that's attractive, and I don't blame anyone for pursuing it. That's just not my scene.

What's really fucked up is you bypassed saying me saying "I had fun watching it" to lampoon how I disagreed with the consensus and how I feel about it. I liked the matches. They aren't among what I'd call the best. They aren't really close. But I liked the matches, and felt like I used my time well. Net positive. Why does it matter if I'm not hyping it?

• Like 1

Enjoyed NXT Takeover a lot more than Wrestle Kingdom due to being totally ingrained in Zayn's story. Wrestle Kingdom had two really awesome main events but I didn't really care who won either of them, like I knew I was watching something very good, but nothing that I meditated over for too long after the event was over.

What's really fucked up is you bypassed saying me saying "I had fun watching it" to lampoon how I disagreed with the consensus and how I feel about it. I liked the matches. They aren't among what I'd call the best. They aren't really close. But I liked the matches, and felt like I used my time well. Net positive. Why does it matter if I'm not hyping it?

Weird sentence there from you, but I didn't want to be rude. I just couldn't believe that you liked that tag match the best when, even if not MOTYC for you, there are 2 matches going on at the end, that clearly bypass that tag match from my point of view. So I assumed that you haven't seen them. You did and everyone has the right to his opinion.

Does Royal Rumble 95 have the least star power of any Rumble match ever? Shawn, Luger, Bulldog, Crush, Backlund and Owen are pretty much it for main event or upper midcard guys. Add onto that Bret Hart attacking Owen and Backlund so each is in the match for no time at all.

Plus 1 minute intervals? That's some bullshit.

• Like 1

I'm only an hour and change into Wrestle Kingdom 9, but I knew going in that I'd be in the dark about the backstories and thus not as invested in the characters as people who have been following it.  JR and Striker have been doing a good job of establishing those backstories on commentary, so that helps.

Nowadays I think we're almost spoiled by how much good wrestling is out there.  It gets to the point where you start setting higher standards for the shows and raising your expectations.  It'd be nice if wrestling could have more solid storylines with satisfying payoffs, but those seem to be few and far between these days.

House show lineup shuffle for next Friday in St. Louis:  Cena-Rollins cage match is still on, but Reigns-Rusev was changed to Reigns-Show(step down there).  Added, Bryan-Kane and Ambrose-Wyatt.  Orton had been advertised but is no longer on the talent list on the Scottrade Center lineup.  Jericho still advertised.

then the way to have asked that would have been "what did you think about the two main events" because that other thing is basically calling me a liar

Sorry! Didn't want to offend you.

Which version did you watch?

It's okay, I'm probably just overreacting

US Commentary, live as it happened, with friends. Like I said, I had fun watching it, but nothing really stuck out to me as being an all-time classic, which is what I take 5 stars to mean. I don't think you can show people any matches of this card years from now and it'd be easy to understand why you're showing someone that match, as compared to things like Andre/Hansen or Muta/Hase or Gringos/Santo and Octagon. The most fun I had all show long was that tag match, because the dynamics of all four wrestlers played off each other really well and they didn't have any wasted space. I think it's because they weren't the main event they didn't feel pressure to put on an epic, so instead they were just efficient. This is in opposition to the first half of Nakamura/Kota which really dragged for me, and the back half of Tanahashi/Okada which dragged.

And I don't think "all-time classic" is too much to ask for before you say something is 5 stars. If that's the highest possible score you can get, it should mean something. Shit should be rare. That way, 4 3/4 means something, et cetera.

House show lineup shuffle for next Friday in St. Louis:  Cena-Rollins cage match is still on, but Reigns-Rusev was changed to Reigns-Show(step down there).  Added, Bryan-Kane and Ambrose-Wyatt.  Orton had been advertised but is no longer on the talent list on the Scottrade Center lineup.  Jericho still advertised.

Is this strictly advertised? Because wouldn't that be Bryan's return match?

Is this strictly advertised? Because wouldn't that be Bryan's return match?

I think his return match will be on Smackdown this coming week.

Does Royal Rumble 95 have the least star power of any Rumble match ever? Shawn, Luger, Bulldog, Crush, Backlund and Owen are pretty much it for main event or upper midcard guys. Add onto that Bret Hart attacking Owen and Backlund so each is in the match for no time at all.

I dunno, the one a couple years back where they had to put Cole in the match has to be a contender.

• Like 1

I dunno, the one a couple years back where they had to put Cole in the match has to be a contender.

Probably a good pick.  They had to buffer that one with Cole, Lawler, and Booker; plus Duggan showed up, Ricardo was in it, Foley and Santino were in just to have the Socko v Cobra bit, and Kharma showed up for a minute.

Orton, Jericho, Show, and Miz are the only "main eventer" types in it, and Orton/Jericho/Show were 28/29/30.  Dolph, Barrett and Khali were the only other ones you could argue were upper card.