DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The only guy JBL puts over is Barrett. Cole says what they tell him to say. And I don't know what Lawler fucking does.

The most notable things Lawler had done in the last 10 years:

1. Match against Cole at WM.

2. Heart attack on Raw.

3. Anal bleeding.

Give credit where credit is due: the amazing TLC match with Miz.

• Like 1

What kind of insane daddy issues must a woman have to date Jerry Lawler?

Or insane financial issues. I get the feeling that dating Jerry Lawler is a good way to alleviate all of your financial worries.

Well, in that case, you think he'd be interested in me?

• Like 5

Konnor at least fits the part reasonably. Viktor looks like he's cosplaying or something, though. Totally inauthentic.

If their work was good, they could overcome it, though. Bill Eadie looked only somewhat less goofy in his costume than Tobias Fünke did in his "Discipline Daddy" getup, but his work was so good that it didn't matter in the end.

I've said it before, but the Ascension's problem is no Bram/Kenneth (and to a certain extent no Shaul Guerrero). They would have been better shoehorning Adrian Neville into the gimmick than Rick Victor.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the Ascension w/ Bram but with him the act had a big time feel.

In the 80s big bad asses in war paint was a archetype that showed up in b-movies/tv. That was a long time ago. The current incarnation of the Ascension only makes sense as an 80s homage but I've never seen anything about them that you would call tongue in cheek.

The only guy JBL puts over is Barrett. Cole says what they tell him to say. And I don't know what Lawler fucking does.

The most notable things Lawler had done in the last 10 years:

1. Match against Cole at WM.

2. Heart attack on Raw.

3. Anal bleeding.

4. Never getting his pizza despite Domino's having a pizza tracker app.

I feel bad saying this, but...

The Ascension need to go to CHIKARA where they belong. I don't think I've seen anything so bush-league, self-reverential, and goofy in a long time. For their sake, I hope they can make it work, but this shit doesn't play.

They already have that team there.

I didn't understand what you were saying until I just turned on the last Botchamania... I think I like these guys better. 

eb41d5ecb7e8e4a94af8536508768982.jpeg

• Like 1

Random thought.  The in-ring career of Shawn Michaels is the greatest character arc in the history of wrestling.

Young up-and-comer who betrays his friend for individual glory.  A selfish jerk who sees the light of being a do-gooder and in doing so achieves his boyhood dream.  Once at the top of the heap, becomes paranoid and reckless before being forced into retirement.  The big comeback from exile.  Holding off younger challengers who studied his blueprint.  Eventually makes peace with the man he betrayed at the very beginning.  Finally killed off by one of his greatest foes.

Its positively Dickensian (it even has a rival mocking him for the loss of his fortune.)  Its the Great American Novel of pro wrestling.