DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

How does the Angle/Lesnar 60 minute match hold up? All I remember is that I set my VCR to record it while I went out that night but forgot to put a tape in it. No memory if I actually got around to watching it.

I think I bring this up every time this match is mentioned, but I was there live and it was fucking awful. As mentioned above, it was basically an angle. Brock beat the shit out of Angle with a chair, taking a dq or two and then getting easy pins to build a big lead early, only for Angle to slowly come back. Not a bad angle, but boring to watch.

Re: Match lengths - Every case is different, but I've come around to thinking that somewhere between fourteen and twenty minutes is the best length for most matches (excluding stuff that needs to be shorter or longer for specific situations, like squash matches). That gives enough time to complete a clear narrative structure without getting repetitive or meandering too much. 

I feel bad saying this, but...

The Ascension need to go to CHIKARA where they belong. I don't think I've seen anything so bush-league, self-reverential, and goofy in a long time. For their sake, I hope they can make it work, but this shit doesn't play.

They already have that team there.

• Like 1

Konnor at least fits the part reasonably. Viktor looks like he's cosplaying or something, though. Totally inauthentic. 

If their work was good, they could overcome it, though. Bill Eadie looked only somewhat less goofy in his costume than Tobias Fünke did in his "Discipline Daddy" getup, but his work was so good that it didn't matter in the end. 

• Like 1

The Joe/Punk series a good example of long matches that had reasons to be long and told a good story. It was the story of a man pushing the unbeatable champion to the limit but not being able to close the deal. 

I was live for Joe and Punk's first ROH match in August 03 and, even though everyone loves the later trilogy, THAT shit was probably the best match I've ever seen in person. (Homicide vs Corino the same night was pretty great too, but part of that stems from the fact that I had never seen ROH before, and I was a Corino fan from late ECW).

How does Benoit/HHH's IronMan hold up??

Completely forgot about this match, and would love to revisit, but I get weird watching Benoit on Nitro let alone his WWF stuff. Someday I'll get there but I'm still kinda weird about it for whatever reason

Konnor at least fits the part reasonably. Viktor looks like he's cosplaying or something, though. Totally inauthentic. 

If their work was good, they could overcome it, though. Bill Eadie looked only somewhat less goofy in his costume than Tobias Fünke did in his "Discipline Daddy" getup, but his work was so good that it didn't matter in the end. 

I've said it before, but the Ascension's problem is no Bram/Kenneth (and to a certain extent no Shaul Guerrero). They would have been better shoehorning Adrian Neville into the gimmick than Rick Victor.

The problem with the Ascension is that the two are just horribly miscast and don't fit the gimmick of two fearsome monsters at all.

I was thinking more like someone played God of War for the first time and thought it'd be cool if they dressed like that. Probably one of the two in the team because Miss Sandra would never come up with an image that ugly.

The only guy JBL puts over is Barrett. Cole says what they tell him to say. And I don't know what Lawler fucking does.

The most notable things Lawler had done in the last 10 years:

1. Match against Cole at WM.

2. Heart attack on Raw.

3. Anal bleeding.

Give credit where credit is due: the amazing TLC match with Miz.

• Like 1