DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Looking forward to those ROH lists. Been thinking of my favorites too. Stuff like Bryan/KENTA, Joe/Kobashi, Nigel/Aries, Briscoes/Steenerico. That'd be a cool DVD (if something like that isn't out already). 

I wonder how many people on the east coast are going to try tackling WK9 tonight/tomorrow morning in one shot. 

I just want to know where in the fuck you guys have the will power or time to watch these goddamn hour/hour and half matches. It's one thing to watch a movie that has characters, music, different scenes etc etc. but to watch vanilla midgets do a bunch of shit that doesn't mean anything until the last 5 minutes seems like a total waste of time.

Considering you just posted about watching From Dusk til Dawn 2, I don't think you should be commenting on anyone else's viewing habits. 

• Like 9

The Dragon Gate 6 man is an obvious one from that weekend, but I also really liked the hour long Danielson/Strong match, and I usually don't like matches that are super long.

Also, is the Collyer/Steel first blood from that weekend considered one of the worst matches in ROH?

Oh, and I will say with certainty I will push Roderick Strong/James Gibson from Unforgettable harder then anyone pushes anything. Loooooooved that match.

I would add Roderick/Nigel from DBDIV. My favorite Pure Title match. The crowd game unglued each time Roderick beat the 20 count back in the ring. Two other matches that come right to mind for me are Cage of Death, also from DBDIV and Generation Next/Embassy @ Steel Cage Warfare.

It really depends on the performers. Flair/Steamboat were good at keeping people engaged for an hour but I found myself falling asleep with Bret/Shawn. 

You speak the truth. As much as I love Bret and Shawn respectively, the WM 12 Iron Man Match is so damn boring for the first 45 minutes. They would have been better off just doing 2/3 falls with them splitting the first two going to a draw (countout or something) for the third and then Bret being forced into overtime. At least we would have had actually falls in that match.

I didn't care for the Bret-Shawn Ironman and I say that as a fan of both guys.  My personal favorite 60-Minute Iroman is still Rock-HHH from Judgment Day 2000.

Saw a few lengthier matches at my area indy shows in the past year.  Ken Kasa and Jake Dirden did a best-of-three-falls match that went a bit over 40 minutes that was solid.  ,Espinosa and Da'Marius Jones did a 60-Minute Ironman that went into overtime(only saw clips of that one)...it was good but Jones is only a year into his career and it might have been a bit soon for him to be doing a match of that magnitude.  Last month, Gerald James(aka Gary Jay/Gary The Barnowl) and Davey Vega did a sixty-minute draw...I could tell from their early pacing that they were going REALLY long; I just didn't know they were going the full distance.

I just want to know where in the fuck you guys have the will power or time to watch these goddamn hour/hour and half matches. It's one thing to watch a movie that has characters, music, different scenes etc etc. but to watch vanilla midgets do a bunch of shit that doesn't mean anything until the last 5 minutes seems like a total waste of time.

Considering you just posted about watching From Dusk til Dawn 2, I don't think you should be commenting on anyone else's viewing habits. 

Didn't say I watched the whole thing.

Long matches just to have a fucking long match just seem like total self masturbatory shit that need to die if more than like 6 people are watching. That includes the ref, the guy who taped and the 2 morons calling the shit.

I didn't care for the Bret-Shawn Ironman and I say that as a fan of both guys. My personal favorite 60-Minute Iroman is still Rock-HHH from Judgment Day 2000.

Saw a few lengthier matches at my area indy shows in the past year. Ken Kasa and Jake Dirden did a best-of-three-falls match that went a bit over 40 minutes that was solid. ,Espinosa and Da'Marius Jones did a 60-Minute Ironman that went into overtime(only saw clips of that one)...it was good but Jones is only a year into his career and it might have been a bit soon for him to be doing a match of that magnitude. Last month, Gerald James(aka Gary Jay/Gary The Barnowl) and Davey Vega did a sixty-minute draw...I could tell from their early pacing that they were going REALLY long; I just didn't know they were going the full distance.

I knew a few weeks before the show ;)

Eric Allen did one a few years ago too in his retirement match (which he returned from) with Bailey Maddex... I think? I was there for that one and Eric got his fucking tooth knocked out. It was actually really good.

I didn't care for the Bret-Shawn Ironman and I say that as a fan of both guys. My personal favorite 60-Minute Iroman is still Rock-HHH from Judgment Day 2000.

Saw a few lengthier matches at my area indy shows in the past year. Ken Kasa and Jake Dirden did a best-of-three-falls match that went a bit over 40 minutes that was solid. ,Espinosa and Da'Marius Jones did a 60-Minute Ironman that went into overtime(only saw clips of that one)...it was good but Jones is only a year into his career and it might have been a bit soon for him to be doing a match of that magnitude. Last month, Gerald James(aka Gary Jay/Gary The Barnowl) and Davey Vega did a sixty-minute draw...I could tell from their early pacing that they were going REALLY long; I just didn't know they were going the full distance.

I knew a few weeks before the show ;)

Eric Allen did one a few years ago too in his retirement match (which he returned from) with Bailey Maddex... I think? I was there for that one and Eric got his fucking tooth knocked out. It was actually really good.

Yeah, I remember them doing a 30-Minute Ironman, then a year later they did a 60-Minute Ironman.  Think I was only there to see the sixty-minute one.

I remember Dingo and Cameron Cage doing a 30-Minute Ironman but that was the only Ironman Match in GCW.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Didn't say I watched the whole thing.

Long matches just to have a fucking long match just seem like total self masturbatory shit that need to die if more than like 6 people are watching. That includes the ref, the guy who taped and the 2 morons calling the shit.

Agreed. I'd say 95% of long matches in the last 20 years or so are long just to say they are long.

Like I said, it depends on the performers and their ability to draw you in and tell a story. It's like a movie, it has to have a good story and a reason for you to continue watching. If it's just two dudes exchanging moves for 90 minutes with no inner narrative then it's crap. A 90 minute matches with guys exchanging explosive high spots is the wrestling equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. 

The Joe/Punk series a good example of long matches that had reasons to be long and told a good story. It was the story of a man pushing the unbeatable champion to the limit but not being able to close the deal. 

Oh, and I will say with certainty I will push Roderick Strong/James Gibson from Unforgettable harder then anyone pushes anything. Loooooooved that match.

Man I forgot all about that match. I really really miss the early days of ROH and traveling to shows. Started at Do or Die 2003 and went to about 30 shows over the next four years before finally souring completely when I saw Jerry Lynn win the title Wrestlemania 25 weekend.

Like I said, it depends on the performers and their ability to draw you in and tell a story. It's like a movie, it has to have a good story and a reason for you to continue watching. If it's just two dudes exchanging moves for 90 minutes with no inner narrative then it's crap. A 90 minute matches with guys exchanging explosive high spots is the wrestling equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. 

The Joe/Punk series a good example of long matches that had reasons to be long and told a good story. It was the story of a man pushing the unbeatable champion to the limit but not being able to close the deal.

This. I don't know if it was this thread or last month's, but I remember someone asking how stuff holds up. I've rewatched the Punk/Joe matches recently, and not only do they still hold up, they're great reminders of what those two could do at their best.

• Like 1

I remember Shawn Michaels and John Cena having a pretty decent longer match on some random RAW. I can't remember how long it went though.

I think that was something like an hour with commercial breaks and about 45 minutes of televised match.

• Like 1