DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, they had Punk vs. Eddy vs. (maskless) Rey on there.

Can one of the board vets add their two cents on this particular Punk-Hero match? Their opinion is worth far more than my own.

I don't know if I qualify as a board vet, but I don't think the 90 minute Punk Hero match has aged well at all. I think lengthier matches have a tendency to highlight the worst habits of both participants. Notably, during this feud in which the matches just seemingly got longer and longer, the drama never seemed to focus on the outcome, but instead on how long they were going yo put off the outcome. I think a lot of the super Indy stuff of this time period suffers from being overly exhibitionist, and that issue is prevalent throughout this. Obviously you have two talented performers who are really comfortable with one another, so there are great moments, but in between those moments are long stretches in which the only purpose is to impress. I thought that was awesome 10 years ago, and so did a lot of other people, but I think personally I have grown to value brevity a tad more than I did back then.

I'll agree with some of that.  I've seen a few recent matches that seemed to go long for the sake of going long.

The commentators' relating of the Punk-Hero match predictions even seemed to focus more on the potential length of the match rather than the actual outcome.

I liked the match once it really got going(about halfway through).  Will need to watch a few other matches from around this time period, particularly the Joe-Punk 60:00 draws from ROH.

hypothetical: if an TNA or ROH posted their 10 or 25 best matches on YouTube, which matches would make it and which will stand up to the test of time?

This makes me wish that there'd be something similar to the "Best of the '90s" project that DVDVR did. But I don't see that ever happening.

Hm, ok. But I think I remember reading somewhere that Danielson wanted the match to go three hours with the first two falls both going to a 60 minute time limit draw and the last fall being won by one of the two during the last few minutes of the third fall.

There was an announcement before the match that it would likely go very long and that the wrestlers were cool with people leaving. That said, I heard that they decided to cut the match short after about 30 minutes as they didn't think the crowd was with them enough to go three hours. It would have made the DVD a 2 disc set as well, whereas going 74m they cut entrances and squeezed the whole show under 3 hours.

Has there been 25 King of the Mountain matches yet? I vote for all those

Would they really want to promote Jeff Jarrett so much, though?

Well with Dixie's attitude lately, its really NJPW promoting TNA...

Hm, ok. But I think I remember reading somewhere that Danielson wanted the match to go three hours with the first two falls both going to a 60 minute time limit draw and the last fall being won by one of the two during the last few minutes of the third fall.

That was what Bryan wanted originally, but he called an audible. Did one of them get hurt?

I just want to know where in the fuck you guys have the will power or time to watch these goddamn hour/hour and half matches. It's one thing to watch a movie that has characters, music, different scenes etc etc. but to watch vanilla midgets do a bunch of shit that doesn't mean anything until the last 5 minutes seems like a total waste of time.

• Like 5

I just want to know where in the fuck you guys have the will power or time to watch these goddamn hour/hour and half matches. It's one thing to watch a movie that has characters, music, different scenes etc etc. but to watch vanilla midgets do a bunch of shit that doesn't mean anything until the last 5 minutes seems like a total waste of time.

Don't you have a Wade Barrett fan club to run, you know, somewhere else?

• Like 7