DVDVR Message Board

January 2015 Soccer Thread

SirFozzie

And by "first time," I obv meant "first team." Boy,was I tired. I suppose being exposed to the first time too may also still be in his books.

Sure, he does have time on his side but players need lots of playing time at challenging levels at a young age to grow as footballers. While the youth team and eventually the Castilla will be okay for a short while, he needs to play against the top players if he wants to fulfill his potential and that isn't going to happen with Madrid. We've seen so many young kids go to the way side by joining the biggest clubs too early and see their chances to play meaningful minutes against the best extremely limited. Sergio Canales is, off the top of my head, probably the last one to go to Madrid. He looked incredible for Racing and then signed on at Madrid at 18 only to waste away in the reserves and now he's a journeyman footballer that's still good but clearly a case of missing out on one's potential.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

And by "first time," I obv meant "first team." Boy,was I tired. I suppose being exposed to the first time too may also still be in his books.

Sure, he does have time on his side but players need lots of playing time at challenging levels at a young age to grow as footballers. While the youth team and eventually the Castilla will be okay for a short while, he needs to play against the top players if he wants to fulfill his potential and that isn't going to happen with Madrid. We've seen so many young kids go to the way side by joining the biggest clubs too early and see their chances to play meaningful minutes against the best extremely limited. Sergio Canales is, off the top of my head, probably the last one to go to Madrid. He looked incredible for Racing and then signed on at Madrid at 18 only to waste away in the reserves and now he's a journeyman footballer that's still good but clearly a case of missing out on one's potential.

Eh, you make it out to be too much of a science.  Kids are different.  Some have their head screwed on straight at that age, some don't even well into their careers.  Some are physical beasts at 16 / 17.  Some just develop differently, match time or not.  Odegaard may or may not succeed, but it's not as simplistic as you make it out.  Lots of kids get match time at a decent level, but some make it and some don't. 

I like how Sporting are blooding Gauld into the first team and he's doing well there, but there are a ton of variables on whether he "makes it" or not that is not easily predicted.

Is there a long list of world beaters other than the odd goalkeeper that end up meeting expectations if they spend most of their teens and early 20s as loan stars? Kids need stability, continuity, and playing time versus players better than them to succeed. I'm not saying anything groundbreaking and it's the reason why most feel Odegaard's move is a poor one.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Who mentioned loans?  What are you even arguing about?

There isn't a magic formula.  How do you know Odegaard won't get stability, whatever that means, in Madrid?  How do you know he won't get continuity, whatever that means, in Madrid?  How do you know he won't get playing time playing against players better than him?  You don't think the Segunda division is better than the Trippeligaen?  Mata, Mista, Luis Garcia, and Negredo seemed to fashion careers for themselves at a high level after their stints there. 

Here's what I know about young players with talent.  If he has a good head on his shoulders and applies himself by working hard and listening to his coaches to maximize his talent, he'll go far in the game. There are a ton of other variables that can affect his career, but those will usually have the most impact. 

I'm not arguing about anything. I'm saying a move to Madrid is poor for him at this time because he isn't going to get first team games for years unless it's through loans, which isn't good for his or any other players development and then I provided an example. There is no magical formula but young players going to huge clubs bought for "the future" before they are 20 rarely works out. That is my point. It's not very difficult to comprehend. I don't know why you're so ornery all the time.

The question you asked was missing my point. Yeah, the youth league and segunda division are a step up but he should've gone to Holland (like Laudrup recommended), Portugal, or a team not named Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea or City in England or Spain.

The list of players you wrote up just shows how unlikely it is that he succeeds at Madrid and he will have to overcome a lot of bullshit to make the first team. Better players than he have failed to crack the Madrid first team and they didn't even have the Galacticos setup that's in place now while most of them were in the system.

Sort of half related, but this is one of the things I like about In Bed With Maradona's 100 prospects to watch: they tend to omit "young guys at giant clubs that won't play first team games", and you get a somewhat more weird, eclectic list of "kids playing for clubs you may or may not have heard of".

Well, that and it makes you a video game football manager superpower.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm not arguing about anything. I'm saying a move to Madrid is poor for him at this time because he isn't going to get first team games for years unless it's through loans, which isn't good for his or any other players development and then I provided an example. There is no magical formula but young players going to huge clubs bought for "the future" before they are 20 rarely works out. That is my point. It's not very difficult to comprehend. I don't know why you're so ornery all the time.

The question you asked was missing my point. Yeah, the youth league and segunda division are a step up but he should've gone to Holland (like Laudrup recommended), Portugal, or a team not named Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea or City in England or Spain.

The list of players you wrote up just shows how unlikely it is that he succeeds at Madrid and he will have to overcome a lot of bullshit to make the first team. Better players than he have failed to crack the Madrid first team and they didn't even have the Galacticos setup that's in place now while most of them were in the system.

You're just speculating.  You don't anything about Real's plans for him.  Why do you care so much about this 16 year old?  Because he spurned your club or something for a bigger one?  Such is life.  He won't be the last wunderkind to hit the papers. 

Of course he'll have to overcome a lot of bullshit.  At any club he will have to overcome a lot of bullshit to be a really good pro.  Maybe he'll make it, maybe he won't.  Bottom line is there is no magic formula despite your perceived wisdom on how to groom 16 year olds for stardom.

I'm not being ornery.  I just can't believe we're still on about a 16 year old making a decision to join one of the biggest clubs in world football.  Shame on him.  It annoyed me when Islam Feruz left (mainly his attitude) for Chelsea after all we did for him, but there will be other kids and best of luck to him. 

Liam Miller left us too early to go to Man United, but you know what?  He probably wouldn't have made it with us either since he's now with Cork City.  If Odegaard is as talented as some say he'll make it.  If he doesn't he probably wasn't as talented as some say.  It won't be because he fucked up a decision at 16.

Guest The Magnificent 7

What we need is a thread of all the stupid decisions we made at 16. 

I sold my Genesis / Sega CD with Snatcher thrown in for like 40 bucks to a coworker at Sears. 

Snatcher.

What a dummy.

I also thought it was a good idea on Halloween for my friends and I to collect all the pumpkins we could fit in the trunk and floorboards and bags of leaves we just took from people's lawns and then roll around to people we didn't like and throw them in their driveways / yards.  Turned out I couldn't figure why my car smelled like dogshit a few days later.  One of those pumpkins was covered in it and had rolled around in the back all over the place.  Man that was fun cleaning that up.

I'll cut this kid some slack.  :)

This is completely totally and utterly HUGE for Cambridge. The replay will make them about 1.7 Million pounds.. their annual budget is 1.6 million.

All this and the best stadium food in England. WOOT!

(I really have to get a new Cambridge jersey) :D

Best post match reaction ever.. from the end of Cambridge United Manager Richard Money (go ahead, make the jokes)'s post match reaction: "We are all going back to a hotel in the city, families as well. The club have organised a bit of a buffet, there'll one or two drinks I guess. Yes, it'll be nice."(In other words "Holy shit, me and the lads are totally gonna get pished off our rockers")

The Daily Mail showing their allegiances in reacting to Chelsea blowing a two-goal lead and losing at home in the FA Cup...

B8I1pJiCQAAGn2p.jpg

...compare this to their reaction when Arsenal lost to the same team in the Capital One Cup a few years ago.

WJeIvOT.jpg