DVDVR Message Board

January 2015 Soccer Thread

SirFozzie

Diego Costa is perfect for Chelsea.

Rodgers said that Balo needs to learn how to close down (and in general fit the high press Rodgers has recently reverted to) and get into offensive positions when he doesn't have the ball. So far, he's done that very well without any real outcome but it could be the first step on the long road to redemption.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Some timely trolling from Celtic fans. This took up a whole page in the Sunday Herald the other day, I felt like the weetabix was going to come out of my nose I was laughing so hard when I read it.

B8HKq1tIEAAu7fe.jpg

Yeah that's epic trolling.  A bit wordy, but at least it shows Celtic fans know the score.  If Rangers fans did something similar it would sound something like, "ME GRIMLOCK!..."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31022330

This is my favourite Rangers-related thing in a while. Not because of the article itself which is of more or less minimal importance. But just look at that photo choice. Could the BBC make their feelings any clearer?

Well, made me laugh anyway.

Man Yoo tell their season ticket holders "Buy tickets to the Cambridge Replay or be banned from using your season ticket for the next game"

http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2270694/man-united-slammed-as-season-ticket-holders-must-buy-cambridge-tickets

Mixed feelings. More money for Cambridge, but damn, that's harsh, an extra 50 or so pounds or be banned from attending a match you supposedly already paid for?

Wolfsburg supposedly paying up to 35 million Euro for André Schuerrle. As a club who once in the last five years made it to European competition. I love how a lot of Bundesliga fans always praise our domestic league as the financial fairplay paradise.

Than again happy to see a player like Schuerrle in the Bundesliga. At least when if he gets back to his usual level.

Bundesliga starts today with Wolfsburg vs Bayern, which is funnily enough the game of second vs first place aswell. Of course, as of the last three years it doesn´t really matter that much if Bayern plays against second or 18th place, but still, it is - technically - a big way to start the second phase of the Bundesliga. ;)

Some timely trolling from Celtic fans. This took up a whole page in the Sunday Herald the other day, I felt like the weetabix was going to come out of my nose I was laughing so hard when I read it.

B8HKq1tIEAAu7fe.jpg

1282786204310.jpg

Great win for Wolfsburg. I have a hard time seeing Bayern collapsing in the championship race, but it´s nice when domestic competition can show their vulnerability every once in a while. And Wolfsburg did just that, using their chances quite efficiently and defending Bayern´s attacks solidly apart from a short phase after Benats goal for 1-3 (which was a little bit of slapstick).

Will be interesting to see what the rest of the league does today and tomorrow. There are a lot of questionmarks, especially in battle against relegation. Leverkusen will play Dortmund at home today, there wasn´t much talk out of Dortmund over the holidays and January, so it will be interesting to see how they will get out of the blocks. And it will be interesting to see if teams like Gladbach and Augsburg can keep up their good form this season after break.

• Like 1

Things are moving back to where they should be now. Summer signings (barring a few) are really starting to gel. And holy shit, was it nice to see Studge back and netting one within ten minutes. 5 points back of Yernited - should be an exciting rest of the season.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Some of the UK betting sites carry most Celtic matches, but you have to register an account.  I'd love to bet on football and watch without flash popups everywhere on the less than legit streams I sometimes watch, but those sites won't allow US based logins.  Don't know about Canada.  Maybe that's an option.

considering that Equatorial Guinea was disqualified from AFCON qualifications and only got a spot because Morocco thought the AFCON would spread ebola... I pity anybody betting against Equatorial Guinea.

who knew the "5 of 6 matches end with a 1-1 draw" group wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the tourney?