DVDVR Message Board

January 2015 Soccer Thread

SirFozzie

Otherwise known as, four week silly season as the transfer markets open up in the next couple days...

Let's see.. Barca have their one year transfer market ban confirmed by CAS, so they won't be able to buy folks till Summer 2016... which reduces the amount of stupid rumors we'll hear by about 45%. 

Whole mess o Matchups in the Premier League on New Year's Day, and then the Third Round of the FA Cup (Come on Cambridge!) this weekend.

Edit: Oh, and Lampard's "loan" at Man City extended, because of course, fuck NYCFC, they're just a farm team for the Sheiks...

He's immense but it's the right time. He should probably just retire but if he wants a year or two in the sun somewhere, more power to him. He's still got those special moments in him but they're becoming rarer and rarer while his form the rest of the match is becoming more and more a liability. The midfield needs to be restructured (well, which part of the squad doesn't need restructuring?) in the summer. I think the world of Emre Can but he's not yet ready to be an every match midfielder, Henderson is best as a supporting figure not a linchpin, Allen should be moved on, and Lucas is a shadow of his former self. Gerrard-Mascherano-Alonso, those were the days.

For all the grief Liverpool has received for their transfers in the summer, there is a lot of promise there. Markovic, Can, Moreno, Manquillo, and Origi could become core components of a top squad. Lallana is starting to find his stride after not having a preseason due to injury. Balo and Lambert made sense as foils for Sturridge in a 4-4-2 diamond but they're useless without his movement and ability to create space for them. Lovren's been a disaster but he's a better player than what he's shown. As woeful as the performances have been, I don't think you need to blow it all up. Migs is done at LFC so a keeper is a must and a defensive midfielder who can clean up the mess around him would be ideal but the #1 priority has to be a dynamic forward who can fit in with the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, etc. Doubt we get more than one of those things what with FFP and the giant spending in the summer but if there's any hope of a top 4 finish, I think all three are required.

Say what you will about Gerrard, but the man knew how to set up a goal.

In other news, I've resigned myself to the fact that Arsenal will very likely miss out on Champions League football for the first time since I've followed the Premier League, and that Wenger will also either step down or be forced out when the season ends.  So it goes.

If all of the above transpires AND the Gunners finish below Sp*rs...man.

• Like 1

Newcastle gets knocked out by Leicester in their first game post-Pardew.

Non-League Blyth Spartans spark the imaginations with two early goals, but can't hold on, and Birmingham come back to win 3-2.

Elsewhere, West Brom use Gateshead as a chew toy, with Berahino scoring four in their 7-0 win.

Southport defend valiantly for 92 minutes, but unfortunately, the game went just a bit longer then that, and an injury time penalty sends Derby through to the fourth round.

And Cambridge United (the team I follow) are in the fourth round bag as well, defeating fellow League Two team Luton Town 2-1

On the one hand, we really shouldn't be leaving things as late as we did today against Wednesday.

OTOH, Cindy put it best this morning: If we really wanted everything to come easy, we'd be Yankee fans.

On the one hand, we really shouldn't be leaving things as late as we did today against Wednesday.

OTOH, Cindy put it best this morning: If we really wanted everything to come easy, we'd be Yankee fans.

Well, you're in bed with the Yankees, if nothing else. :)

Well, you're in bed with the Yankees, if nothing else. :)

Cindy's going to a game or two under protest for that very reason, yes. ;)

Yeah, Man City really are just the pluckiest of spirited underdogs, somehow willing their way to victory despite all the odds being against them.

Not quite what I said, but whatever makes your little boat float.