DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Right now I'm in the Genesis era and there's this line about them being worth 3 billion and in five years they'll lose it all that has me really excited to continue.

Did you read "Console Wars"?

No, but I think this author takes time out of the book to shittalk it a bit.

Console Wars is fucking awful with the goofy recreated conversations.

Plus I listened to the audiobook and the reader does the shittiest Charlie Chan-style Japanese accent when doing the dialogue of a SoJ employee. Fuck all that.

Going to read this Service Games book though. Sega was my favorite game company from the Genesis up through the death of the Dreamcast.

I'm loving it, but reading it slowly.  It's my break at work book at the moment. 

Reading about them coming up with all the marketing campaigns that TOTALLY FUCKING WORKED ON ME is great, plus I got my Genesis when Mortal Kombat was released, so I really enjoy reading about the early days of the system, which I revisited later by playing the games but wasn't really a part of.

Does anyone remember what the name of that All-Japan Pro Wrestling game for the PS1 was?  The one that had the "power balls" that you would use to hit wrestler signatures.

I would've hoped that with New Japan's modest climb out of the gutter in terms of popularity over the last 4 or so years we could get another SPIKE video game. Either KOC or Fire Pro. I'm not picky!

Console Wars absolutely was NOT terrible. The recreated conversations were bad, no question about it, but they're worth it. And, yep, the author is totally in love with Tom Kalinske, who never made a bad decision on anything ever. Even with all that, the book is terrific. Lots of great info and detail.

I would like to make people aware of Sonic Dreams Collection.

So, Sonic Dreams Collection is from Arcane Kids, the same team that created Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits The James Turrell Retrospective, which is an amazing game. Sonic Dreams Collection doubles down on the nihilism from Bubsy by confronting the horror of intense, hidden Sonic fandom. See, when most people think about Sonic they think about the video games. There are some of us out there who are not so lucky. There are some of us out there who, when they think about Sonic, they think about a forum post they saw. A forum post where people, say, argue about eating Sonic's vomit "because how else am I supposed to prove my love for him." Sonic Dreams Collection is a game about those people.

So it's at this point that I'm going to say that maybe you don't have to play it, and maybe seeing it is enough. If you want to see it and not play it, Polygon played through it and uploaded it in four parts. I will warn you that this game is INCREDIBLY, WILDLY, SOULCRUSHINGLY NSFW. It's not safe for lots of things. It's just not safe.

If you have to play it- if you have to know for yourself- you can go here.

• Like 1

Console Wars absolutely was NOT terrible. The recreated conversations were bad, no question about it, but they're worth it. And, yep, the author is totally in love with Tom Kalinske, who never made a bad decision on anything ever. Even with all that, the book is terrific. Lots of great info and detail.

I feel like I benefited heavily by going into Console Wars a good year after it came out, and knowing exactly what it was before I started. I can totally get why people hated it so much, but being aware that it's The Tom Kalinske Story of Sega before you start and adjusting your bullshit meter accordingly, it's a really fun, informative read.

Spent my lunch break with Pac-Man 256. If the trailers make it look like something you'll like, chances are good you'll like it. The monetization isn't as friendly as Crossy Road but it's still much milder than much of the competition. $8 to permanently opt out of the "energy" system, $5 for a permanent coin doubler for the currency you need to upgrade power ups (and you can always play for free with power ups other than Power Pellets turned off.)

Agree to disagree about Console Wars. The most useful thing from the book was the info about the internal power struggle between SoA and SoJ, though some of it (like the original Sonic the Hedgehog character design) was not new for me.

The recreated convos, heavy bias, and poor writing made it an interminable slog for me. I would say that it is worth reading, however, even with all that, if one has curiosity about that time period.

Working through the first Sly Cooper game. I am trying to "get" 3D platformers, but the only ones I have ever liked are really charming (Mario 64, Psychonauts). Sly Cooper does not have that quality, and the levels are really linear and dull in terms of design. Going to try to finish and move on to Sly Cooper: Band of Thieves, which I hear is much better.

I don't really know where to put this. But I need to vent.

It was announced last night that the owners of Next Level Arcade in NYC were going to be shutting down. The major problem aside from NYC now having no arcades left is that it was a Fighting Game hotspot. So the FGC has a tremendous several weeks around EVO and then a couple months later the biggest weekly FGC tournaments on the west coast and the east coast are now done.

It always seems with the FGC it's always one step forward and two steps back. It depresses the shit out of me. I don't even want to get into the issues Super Arcade is having with getting a building. It's times like this when I look at dwindling scenes and people moving onto other things in gaming why I even want to bother with the FGC anymore. It's not even the gamers. It's the people either attempting to run shit and getting fucked over or the people who can't seem to work together behinds the scenes.

Fuck it. I guess we'll all go play Splatoon right?

So why not have FGC;s events tied to big gaming/comic/other conventions?  Have they approached Capcom or Midway or other developers for help?  I mean even they would have to admit that the big tournaments are great promotions for their product; so why not try to get them to help out getting venues?  I mean I honestly don't know what they've tried but it feels like there are solutions out there.

You're both misunderstanding the purpose Next Level serves. It's a regular meetup with live streams of gameplay, and a hub for east coast players to come, visit, and play the game in person to improve. What happens at Next Level is not a one time tournament. This is more like a clubhouse shutting down than a venue. It's not that easy to replace a thing like that, especially in a place like New York City.

and yeah this thread is the first I've heard of this and fuuuuuuuuck that sucks.

• Like 1

Man I am still bummed that they tore my arcade out of Little Tokyo, and I think that was almost two years ago now.

They had the Fist of the North Star game where you have to punch the pads so I could show off my mad ninja skillz in public

The 2014 re-release of Shadowgate is very faithful to the original while actually looking good enough.

It also makes me think we've all become idiots because we actually used to play shit like this without a walkthrough which is barely conceivable now. Ain't no one got time for that. There's 12 holes and 5 glyphs and I just want to know the answer to get the magic staff. I can't even imagine a person under 20 playing this game now, which is sort of sad because as visual novels/click on picture games go, it might be the most mind boggling one ever made.

I still died using a walkthrough because I forgot to cure the banshee curse. #YOLO

• Like 1