DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Finished Dying Light last night.  Why do games put QTE garbage as the final boss encounter?  Ugh.  Pretty fun game otherwise.

Gonna try to get through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood before Battlefront comes out.

I agree, I hated how they ended Arkham Knight too.  Just way too passive IMHO.

Man, it's hard to like the company that makes my favorite franchise (AC).

Seems Ubisoft sold a bunch of preorders for the collector's edition of the new Might & Magic game and promised to include physical media for the game and soundtrack in it. Then they sort of altered the ads to sort of show you'd get digital instead. Then they shipped the games without physical media - but only in the U.S. Then when people complained, they claimed physical media was never promised - even though they published a video showing it - and refused refunds because the games has been opened.

They're now offering refunds but they behaved in a really scummy way and, really, for no reason.

Latest Starcraft II patch made the previously Beta only Legacy of the Void Prologue Missions open to everyone with a copy of one of the two previous campaigns.

Fucking Blizzard getting me to drop $50 for an Expansion...

• Like 1

i'm gonna talk real quick about things I have been playing. I mean real quick, for once.

-Destiny is as good as the people you're playing it with, double so if you're a hunter.

-The Harvest Moon games for GBC have real problems. 2 has no marriage, 3 has no flow.

-I am playing Super Mario Bros 3 again because I am very smart.

-I am playing Super Mario 3D Land again because I am very stupid.

-Metal Gear Online was a threat for my free time before it came out that Overwatch's beta starts soon.

OKAY WHATEVER.

DOWNWELL.

DOWNWELL IS THREE DOLLARS (on steam and the ios app store, coming soon to android).

DOWNWELL USES THREE BUTTONS

DOWNWELL USES THESE THREE BUTTONS TO RULE MOST ACTION GAMES

LOOK AT THIS SHIT

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

GO GET IT

• Like 1

PS3/PS4 version of Marvel Puzzle Quest is out today. $15 gets you everything, no microtransactions except for the DLC campaigns (which are $4 each). Considering how much time I dumped into PQ1, 2 and Galactrix, and how fast I burned out on MPQ because it felt too optimized to force spending, I may check it out when I have the chance. I hope it does well enough that we get more than just the first 2 DLC campaigns, though, because I'm going to want the GotG and Ant-Man tie-in content for sure.

Decided to give Max Payne 3 a go. It's a bit like the Uncharted series, only with all the charm, excitement and adventure removed, and replaced by a misanthropic hatred of and disgust with everything and everyone. A nihilistic view of a world that contains villains, victims, and nobody else. And no climbing scenes.

Was Dan Houser not quite right in the head around the turn of the decade? Because it took until GTA 5 for him to realise games are supposed to be fun, and not, like, really depressing and sad.

Finally bought the bundle stars Shadow of Mordor bundle. Through around 5 hours of it, I love it. Just fucking up Uruks is tons of fun. I usually get frustrated dying in games but with the nemesis system, it makes me want to get revenge and get better. So far $15 well spent.

• Like 1

Rockstar equated "strong narrative" with "downer story" there for awhile with Max Payne 3, RDR, and GTA IV, and of those stories, I think RDR is the only one that regularly connected with people. 

My awesome parents bought me my NES in 1986 when I was only four. It took me a good year to beat SMB, if I recall correctly, but once my uncle told me about the Koopa shell ricochet trick, I was running up good enough scores to send them into Nintendo Power.