DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Only a few hours left, but Skittles is apparently running some sort of promotion on the 360 where you can get a copy of Goat Simulator for free. Looks like it's today (9/5) only, so you need to get on it quickly if you want it.

The wife is out of town for the next week, so I went to a local mom 'n pop and finally bought a Wii since I have time on my hands and a hankering for a new Mario game. I got Galaxy for it and while it's fun, I wish it allowed you to use the Pro Controller instead of that terrible Nunchuk/Remote combo. Making a precision jump with that control scheme is a bitch. I'm just spin attacking every Goomba that I see so far. 

What else is out there for Wii that y'all would recommend? I got Sonic Colors and am going to get a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom copy ASAP, which were the two games that I really wanted to play, but what would everyone else suggest. I really want platformers (gonna get DKCR sometime soon) and fighters right now. Good arcade sports games would be great, too. I will get Wii Sports Resort eventually, but I'd prefer more Sega Soccer Slam/Rocket League type stuff. 

yeah, a lot of the games that are old sports games go for less then a buck, the big ticket ones that I can remember without looking at the receipt ($13+) were: Punch Out, Brawl (Wii), the UFC games (360), Destiny and NHL (PS3), and a couple shooters from my brother.

I'm finally playing Heavy Rain (sue me) and it has some of the absolute worst voice acting and detective work I've ever experienced. But man oh man, I've been sucked in - I would not like to play this game if I was of a nervous disposition, the quick time controls get really intense after a while.

As a fan of the genre, and a lover of a point and click games, I dig that this is an attempt at updating that style of gameplay and it kinda works. I'm enjoying playing as the Private Eye most of all, the dad's story is a bit too Saw for my liking but always crazy. The FBI guy is the most useless investigator I've ever come across and I kinda resent playing as him... would dig the hell out of it if he was a Rust Cohle-esque character.

I don't know if I'll replay it when I'm done, the sheer amount of choices to make is insane. Just got to the bit where the cops come for Ethan - I threw myself off the roof and stole a taxi and rejected the reporters advances (partly because I thought I was going to have to QTE sex and there's no way I'm doing that).

[/ramblingthoughts]

I am finishing up my Sleeping Dogs playthrough from last year.   Kneeing fat guys in the gut to stun them and tackling the shit out of guys armed with meat cleavers is not old yet.

I have killed a man with an umbrella.  Looking forward to my first kill with a fish.  I replayed the fight at Club Bam Bam twice but I couldn't get any fish to spawn when I threw one of the thugs into the aquarium.  I am guessing the game is going to make me wait for my Death By Fish moment.

GTA Online racing with the guys has prepped me well for racing in this game.  In order to win, I have to be the biggest douchebag in the field and ram guys off of the road..  I think I redid Detour over a dozen times.   Some asshole kept running over the starting line girl while trying to cut me off at the beginning of the race.

Romance feels shoehorned in like it does in most games, but at least the girlfriends serve the purpose of revealing a set of collectables after you get your freak on.  Slept with Amanda and visited all of the health shrines and slept with Tiffany to reveal the location of the Jade Statues, so brawls are going much better now that I have 200% health and more stuns available in my melee arsenal after returning a couple of statues to my sifu.

Slept with Not Ping and now have the locations of all of the CCTV cameras in the city.  Held off of doing more drug busts until I unlocked my new safehouse in Central.

Kinda bummed that Wei's Korean girlfriend broke up with him, but he did cheat on her with Not Ping.  I guess Not Ping is going to find out he was sleeping with Tiffany and dump him as well.

I am in first place of the DVDVR people on my Friends List for Safe Driving.  I find it hard to believe that only I unlocked the achievement / trophy for driving clean for over two minutes.

I have a wardrobe of clothes but I am following Neil's advice and only wear stuff that boosts my Triad XP.  I am making Police XP in my sleep via cases and drug busts so gun skills are covered and I need to boost my melee perks via more Triad XP.

I am really bad at karaoke.  I barely have above 90% for the songs at Club Bam Bam.  Now I have to wait until I unlock K-Bar before diving once again into sing along hell just for another achievement.

There is way too much extra shit to do and I am already close to halfway through the main missions.  I keep forgetting that the story in this game is not as huge as GTA 5's so I should stop progressing the plot for a bit, finish up the drug busts in Central, hit up Tran for car jacking targets to boost my cash reserves, and then see what Roland has for me.

When I have more cash, I will buy a Class A car and finish these stupid races.

I also need to beat dudes down in these fucking Fight Club thingies.  I will probably have to break my Triad Only gear rule and wear the Thug clothes to the Fight Club thing since they boost your damage output by 10%.  Between that, food benies, and my health regenerating when my Face meter is full, I should at least be able to get past the newbie FC in North Point for now.

I had a hard time with the safe driving trophy. The rest were pretty easy. GREAT game. Can't wait for the sequel.

I just maintained a steady speed in and kept to the highway.  When traffic got tight, I threaded the needle in between cars and tried not to brake too suddenly to kill my timer.  It wasn't that difficult.  The key was buying that cheap Class B sub compact at the chop shop in North Point.   Slow and tiny cars FTW.

J.T.'s definition of "romance" is...... troubling.

It is the catch-all term I use for all schmoozing with female NPC's for the sake of plot progression and whatnot.

I hate Bioware and Rockstar for making girlfriends and romantic interests a near requirement for their games because it always feels tacked onto the story..

• Like 1

The fighting was what I was best at.  I'd do the fight clubs for fun and money because I was SUPERFUCKINGGOOD at all the hand to hand stuff.  Whatever my high ass killstreak was was all hand to hand and then one of my friends (probably Ligerbusa) beat it by using guns

My fists are my weapons Candido

There's a stretch in the highway where you can drive on the opposite side and use the little smart car to get that trophy.

SD is the only PS3 game I got a 100% and Platinum in.  It didn't take all that long ever, I think it was about 25 hours total.  It's not like Ubi Soft open world games where there are collectables or side stuff on every block.  The only parts that were kinda grindy was trying to get the gambling trophy and getting max Triad XP.

So I took my binder of games over to GameStop.. 124 games, just a hair over $400 in store credit.. and the sad thing is I still have about 30-40 games in the binder (games they wouldn't take anymore, PS2 and Xbox games :))

What can you do with PS2 and XBox games nowadays? I'm assuming just try to sell them on Ebay?

So I took my binder of games over to GameStop.. 124 games, just a hair over $400 in store credit.. and the sad thing is I still have about 30-40 games in the binder (games they wouldn't take anymore, PS2 and Xbox games :))

What can you do with PS2 and XBox games nowadays? I'm assuming just try to sell them on Ebay?

There's apparently a store in North Attleboro that will take them (not gamestop)

I had a hard time with the safe driving trophy. The rest were pretty easy. GREAT game. Can't wait for the sequel.

I just maintained a steady speed in and kept to the highway.  When traffic got tight, I threaded the needle in between cars and tried not to brake too suddenly to kill my timer.  It wasn't that difficult.  The key was buying that cheap Class B sub compact at the chop shop in North Point.   Slow and tiny cars FTW.

I ended up using a minivan to get the "Safe Driving" trophy during my Platinum run. Everything else was 'drive 'em and crash 'em.'

Since I have Sleeping Dogs PS4, I guess I have to do it again, oh joy.