DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Bought the damn One. One thing: Does anyone find the type on the XBox One home screen, the one where you see what your friends are doing and so on, as WAY too small? I'm 46 and blind, I can't see what the hell's going on. Trying to figure my way around that has been the toughest part.

I wound up getting Witcher 3, and it's gorgeous. I am probably the only person in America playing an XBox One on a 480p tube television - I'm glad I had an HDMI to RCA adapter already or I would've had to go out and buy a new television. I may still buy a new television, but at least I didn't have to right away.

People have been bitching about the small type on Witcher 3 anyway, and the company has promised a patch is in the pipeline. Now if only XBox would get the hint.

Also, I totally got upsold some headset I didn't need by some gorgeous little tattooed-up half-my-age Gamestop girl. I'm absolutely convinced that Gamestop is Hooters for geeks.

I've bought so much bullshit at Gamestop over the years thanks to 18-22 year old female employees.

Bought the damn One. One thing: Does anyone find the type on the XBox One home screen, the one where you see what your friends are doing and so on, as WAY too small? I'm 46 and blind, I can't see what the hell's going on. Trying to figure my way around that has been the toughest part.

I wound up getting Witcher 3, and it's gorgeous. I am probably the only person in America playing an XBox One on a 480p tube television - I'm glad I had an HDMI to RCA adapter already or I would've had to go out and buy a new television. I may still buy a new television, but at least I didn't have to right away.

People have been bitching about the small type on Witcher 3 anyway, and the company has promised a patch is in the pipeline. Now if only XBox would get the hint.

Also, I totally got upsold some headset I didn't need by some gorgeous little tattooed-up half-my-age Gamestop girl. I'm absolutely convinced that Gamestop is Hooters for geeks.

I've bought so much bullshit at Gamestop over the years thanks to 18-22 year old female employees.

I rarely see any female employees at the Gamestops I go to. Mostly fat bearded dudes.

There was a Game and a Gamestation in our local shopping centre within 300 yards of each other for years. Then Gamestation PLC got taken over by Game PLC, and they closed the smaller one down - and that was the one with the 'only hire hot chicks' policy. Game is all guys about my age who are shorter than me but weigh more.

This is my favorite story I've ever read:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

Final Fantasy 7 Remake director Tetsuya Nomura only realised he was in charge of the project when he saw his name in an internal presentation during the early stages of the project's inception.

Speaking in an interview with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, as reported by Kotaku, Nomura recalled being approached by Square Enix executive Shinji Hashimoto about a new project.

It wasn't until Nomura checked an internal company presentation that he realised he was director.

This came as a shock to Nomura. He is currently busy directing Kingdom Hearts 3, which doesn't have a release date.

"So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, 'It says that I’m the director for some reason.' To which he replied, 'Of course it does'’" Nomura added.

Don't count on this game coming out ANY time soon at all.

• Like 1

I thought KH3 was scheduled for Christmas this year.

Now I'm disappointed twice.

No chance. One guy is directing FF XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and now the FF VII remake. Squaresoft is still claiming 2015, but they're lying out their ass. Kingdom Hearts is AT LEAST a Holiday 2016 game. Maybe later.

Square Enix is a gift that keeps on giving.

What happened to the big Japanese gaming companies?

I was discussing this with a dude the other day when I was telling him how Sony's E3 trio of Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and FFVII didn't do anything for me, but there hasn't been a Japanese game that has interested me except for a few Nintendo games in a long, long time.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

Final Fantasy 7 Remake director Tetsuya Nomura only realised he was in charge of the project when he saw his name in an internal presentation during the early stages of the project's inception.

Speaking in an interview with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, as reported by Kotaku, Nomura recalled being approached by Square Enix executive Shinji Hashimoto about a new project.

It wasn't until Nomura checked an internal company presentation that he realised he was director.

This came as a shock to Nomura. He is currently busy directing Kingdom Hearts 3, which doesn't have a release date.

"So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, 'It says that I’m the director for some reason.' To which he replied, 'Of course it does'’" Nomura added.

Keep on being Squeenix, Squeenix...

• Like 1

Keep on being Squeenix, Squeenix...

They just keep feeling the need to stoke that fire I guess. They started this with the E3 Tech demo for the PS3 and will make things worse by letting this drag out. Maybe by 2020 they will find peope to just let it go.

Square Enix is a gift that keeps on giving.

What happened to the big Japanese gaming companies?

Pretty simple. America started making and preferring their own games of similar or better quality and of much more mainstream design and Japan switched to mobile devices. So your Capcoms, your Konamis are in very rough spots indeed. Also, videogamers in America used to love Japanese Weirdness because videogames were still fairly specific and fairly nerdy. That started to change all the way back when Tecmo Bowl and especially Madden came out and attracted the same kids who beat up the kids playing Final Fantasy but really the tide turned to being so mainstream when GTA3 dropped.

Japan didn't adapt and Japan is dying. I miss their dominance over the market every day. 

OK, that was disingenuous. But I do think that the AAA system - while profitable - is very short sighted and leaves a lot of people out. We need both. I will never give a shit about Call of Duty. You (I assume) will never care about... Let's say Catherine. When it was more dominated by Japan, I feel like the spectrum was more fully covered, whereas 99% of American "big games" are about angry douchebags shooting things.

OK, that was disingenuous. But I do think that the AAA system - while profitable - is very short sighted and leaves a lot of people out. We need both. I will never give a shit about Call of Duty. You (I assume) will never care about... Let's say Catherine. When it was more dominated by Japan, I feel like the spectrum was more fully covered, whereas 99% of American "big games" are about angry douchebags shooting things.

Umm...I don't think anyone is left out of the AAA system.  There has never been a time where people have access to more games than they do now.  With Xbox Live, PSN, and Steam everyone can literally play whatever game they want.  The issue isn't that people aren't playing those games because they can't find them; the issue is that people no longer want to play those games, because they could play something else.  I'm most likely going to play the next Final Fantasy, but I'm in the gaming 1%.  Most people play games much more casually than me and if they have to make a choice between a Final Fantasy game or Mass Effect odds are they'll choose Mass Effect.  Final Fantasy, while a huge brand that has a pretty big following, has been resting on its laurels for years now.  Mass Effect has improved every time out and people have responded by buying those games.  This is a symptom of most of the game franchises you've named.  Mario Bros. and Street Fighter notwithstanding, but there are AAA titles that do what the rest of those games do much better than they've done it over the last decade.  Japan was dominant for a long time, but the rest of the world has caught up and surpassed them in a lot of ways.  That doesn't mean that those games don't have value, it is that they haven't adapted to compete in the modern gaming marketplace.  So when BigFresh says that American games are better, he's not being facetious...OK he probably is...but he isn't wrong.  Call of Duty games are fucking great games, even if they are essentially all the same.  Mass Effect games are fucking outstanding...until the end.  Skyrim, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, all the other big ass games are all insanely good and most of them are bigger and better crafted than what is coming out of Japan these days, and for $60 a pop buying the bigger better game is going to win every time.

• Like 1

Catherine is on my list of games to get to for my channel eventually.

But anyway, that's completely ignoring the swarm of amazing indy titles that you can and should be playing. Limbo, Bastion, Transistor, Shovel Knight, Badland, Gone Home, Papers Please, Lethal League, Unravel, Cuphead, etc. etc. etc.

You don't like the most popular games out there and that's fine. But to act like those are the only ones available from the West is pretty insane. Gaming is in a great spot. For everyone.

• Like 1