DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

BLOODBORNE IS NOT FUCKING AROUND.

I beat the

Cleric Beast

yesterday, but now I'm not sure where to go. I had to put it down for a few days to go out of town, so it was cool that I was still okay for beating that guy a few hours in. How far along are you?

I took advantage of the item duplication glitch before Sony patched it (Hey Sony -- why don't you patch the Abductor to make them less strong while you're at it?), but even then this game is kicking my ass.

Right now, it's my GOTY. Although I really should play more of Axiom Verge and Hotline Miami 2....

And I 100% the trophies in PlayStation Home before it went away. I'm turning into 'one of those people.'

I am somewhere between 'smashing my head against the wall, getting better but not good enough' and 'giving the fuck up' with Bloodborne. It's an excellent game that is designed very specifically to make me frustrated despite what I often call 'the good kind of failure' (it isn't cheap or cheaty, I just suck at it). I had an AHA moment with Mercenary Kings and ended up loving it; I'm hoping the same will happen with BB.

Bloodborne is amazing.

I felt the item duplication glitch kinda defeats the purpose of the game so I didn't use it. I used exploits in Destiny because I felt that game was really cheap in a lot of ways. Not here. To each their own though.

I don't find this game that hard, if you're careful. Expected to die a lot more. Way more accessible than the previous games. I've been killing most bosses on my second try, and sometimes even on my first try. It also pays to just grind souls for a couple of hours early on in the game (the spot with 5 werewolves near the 3rd boss).

I'm currently level 87 and 11 bosses in. It's super easy to level up later on in the game without having to grind. I love that. My cleaver is maxed out. My cane and blade of mercy are also really strong. Exploring for all of the materials is a lot of fun. Can be nerve wracking too!

I had the most trouble with Gascione (the second boss) but after that, I really found my groove. 

I beat the

Cleric Beast

yesterday, but now I'm not sure where to go. I had to put it down for a few days to go out of town, so it was cool that I was still okay for beating that guy a few hours in. How far along are you?

You have to go down the area right before the Cleric beast, stairs that lead to a dark house. From there, there are two different directions to go. Second boss is not too far from there. 

• Like 1

So now that we've had the Dragon Quest-ized Google Maps in 2013, and now Pac-Maps, in 2016 they really need to find a way to either turn it into Atari 2600 Adventure or else a text-based interactive novel. STEP UP, GOOGLE.

"You have been swallowed by a Grue in Detroit."

• Like 1

Got on a PC Gaming kick and finally got SC2: Heart of the Swarm, and am replaying Wings of Liberty just to catch up.

Also got WoW, since Blizzard had it and all the expansions except for the latest one plus 30 days for $10. 

Now I see why the damn game is so addicting.  Its sucking my time away.

Valiant Hearts is really good.

Debating about buying thr whole thing. I think its 8.99 or so.
It's pretty short - you'd be paying about a buck an hour at that price. It was a PS+ freebie for me.

I finished Bloodborne. 

My friend told me to transfer the save file into an external harddrive towards the end of the game. Great tip, because I was able to reload the saves and got all three endings. Just an amazing game. 

Now, it's all about the Chalice dungeons. 

I beat the

Cleric Beast

I'm at the part of the game where you go the wrong way, figure out too late that you've gone the wrong way in a way that cannot be fixed, and then you die, and then you lose 7800 souls before you can even level up goddamnit, damnit, DAMNIT. 

Other PS4 thoughts!

UI- The constant major key jingle is like someone telling me "everything is going to be alright" when I didn't ask if everything was going to be alright. So it makes me defensive. I made the background pink though, so, that's cool.

MLB15 THE SHOW: Hubris is a terrible thing. See, the way that the game phrases the Beginner/Experienced choice is that Beginner is for people who have trouble playing any video games. So I chose Experienced, and got roundly mauled for a few games. Switching down to beginner feels humiliating, like I've let myself down, but I'm playing like the actual Phillies in game when I have it on experienced, so, that's a problem. We'll see how long it takes.

AXIOM VERGE- Like it very much. Metroid comparisons stop working pretty quickly. There's a scale in this game that metroid never really reached, and it's the thing that's keeping me going.

Also the PS4 included a $10 code for PSN store credit. It expired March 31st. I got my Playstation April 1st.

• Like 1

So is buying a Vita worth it at this point? I've never been really big on mobile gaming, had a DS in the past and enjoyed a few games on it, but the remote play thing seems like I'd get some use out of it.  Can anyone explain the basics of remote play? Can I play PS4 games on my vita when I'm in a different room in my house? In a different state? At all?

I accidentally played Cookie Clicker today. Wanted to show it to my girlfriend. Proceeded to play for an hour. That game...

I also picked up NHL 14. Mostly for the '94 mode. Even if it's subpar, the nostalgia will get me, I bet.

Remote play sucks for most PS4 games because R2/L2 is tied to the back touchpads on the Vita. The back touchpads are so unfriendly that I gave up on Borderlands 2 almost immediately since it uses the touchpads for key functions. 

However, playing indie games on PS4 with simple controls that can be mapped to avoid R2/L2 from my bed is fun.

For what it's worth, I had a DS and was lukewarm on it (though I had some fun with a few titles), but I love playing my Vita. It helps that I banked a ton of Vita games for free via PS+ and had about sixteen games ready to go as soon as I bought it.

Re: Bloodborne, beat the second boss, went to a new area, got frenzied to death out of nowhere somehow without even seeing what did it. That sort of put me off it for a bit, to be honest. 

Re: Bloodborne, beat the second boss, went to a new area, got frenzied to death out of nowhere somehow without even seeing what did it. That sort of put me off it for a bit, to be honest. 

I figure you're at the first area with the lantern carrying Undertaker-looking guys. Keep at it. You only get frenzied once in that area if I'm remembering right. I think it's tied to a ghost you may or may not encounter again later in the game. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it eventually confirmed that the Tomb Raider sequel is a timed exclusive only? Good call if so. Would definitely buy that for the PS4. Loved the previous one.

I'm not a trophy dude, but I'm proud/embarrassed to say I have the Bloodborne Platinum. I was so hooked on the game, but now it'll be easier to not procrastinate work. 

• Like 2