DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

...I don't get it. I loved AC3 and kinda hated 4. I figure that's mostly because I don't like the naval combat though. I played Brotherhood or whatever that last one was, it was ok but it felt like it was missing something.

...I don't get it. I loved AC3 and kinda hated 4. I figure that's mostly because I don't like the naval combat though. I played Brotherhood or whatever that last one was, it was ok but it felt like it was missing something.

I can see not liking 4 if you dislike the naval combat. Personally, I loved it and consequently, I loved 4. Of course, I also liked 3. A lot. Just not as much every other title in the series.

So, after spending well north of 110 hours on Assassin's Creed Unity in pursuit of the elusive Platinum Trophy, I needed a diversion before I took on Assasin's Creed Rogue. I've played a little Sniper Elite 3 but it's not grabbing me the way the second game did. So, I instead played...

Valiant Hearts - This is a tough one to rate. At its core, Valiant Hearts is essentially an action puzzle game consisting of a series of fetch/retrieve tasks. Go get item X, use it to do thing Y and advance the story. But the game is so much more than that. First, it's got a unique setting - World War I. You control one of five characters - a French grandfather, his German son-in-law, the American they meet, a female medic, and a heroic dog. The game then tells the overarching story of WWI through those characters and how they intertwine. We get a wonderful lesson on the senselessness of it all, the vast scope of the misery, and the toll it took on individuals and families. And the story it tells is very good - dark, moving and well-told. Secondly, the game has a great, unique art style. It looks great, sort of cartoony but very well-done. Unfortunately, those two great things are held back by other issues. First, the game (PS4 version) crashes. I had more crashes and mission-stopping glitches in the ~8-10 hours it takes to play through Valiant Hearts than I did the "OMG, it's so bug-riddled" 110+ hours of Assassin's Creed Unity. Secondly, a lot of the missions/tasks require pixel perfect timing or actions in a way that's annoying as heck. Throw that grenade 1 pixel off and it doesn't do what you want. On multiple occasions, I looked up puzzle solutions on Youtube - only to learn I had the right solution, I was just missing by a pixel or something. Related to that, I had one mission where I was doing the exactly correct task but because I entered the screen from one direction instead of another, it wasn't letting me complete the puzzle. Annoying. Given that the game is so short (8-10 hours, tops - I play slow), frequent stuff like that really hurts the game. Finally, I didn't like the ending. I get where they were going and what they were doing, I just didn't like the way they executed the ending. Still, this is a worthy, easy puzzle game with some mild action elements that tells a very good story using a unique, very appealing art style and worth every penny I paid ($0.00 through PS+). Good game, coulda been great. 7/10.

Totally forgot about that game. So it came out today? I'm searching for major reviews but haven't found anything. Reading some feedback on their Facebook page. Some people seem to dig it, but none of the compliments are very detailed. While the naysayers claim the animations are a bit choppy.

I found their Soundcloud page with all of the game's entrance themes. Pretty funny. So far I've skimmed through rip-off themes of Angle, Orton, Hardys, RVD, Rock and Brock.  

It'd be fun to try 5 Star Wrestling.  For $25 I want to wait for it to be on sale/free.  But then there's that part of me that's thinking to get it before they get sued to high hell.  Hmm...decisions, decisions...

That looks like an alpha of a game. Wow, that's rough and I have a hard time believing people are going to stump up $25 for it. Between that looking so bad and Pro Wrestling X looking like an early development scam (there have been no updates posted on steam since it went up for early sale in November), it's not looking particularly good for indie wrestling games. No TEW this year, either. :(

If Nintendo puts out their new 'console' (which I'm not 100% convinced that it is one), then they need to pull out of the home console market altogether. Most of their money nowadays is in handhelds and I have a feeling the 3DS/new 3DS will last awhile longer.

Basically, Nintendo has given up on the Wii U. This new system I think is their replacement for Club Nintendo and may be some weird mobile achievement system where what you earn in games carries over to purchases and can be played at home and on a handheld. Not to mention that it's Nintendo so it will probably be 5 to 10 years behind the times. They really need to open up their pocket books and tell a developer like Rockstar Games or even FROM Software "make the game you want to make on our system" and people will buy Nintendo. They need to take a page out of Sony's playbook and make a system that's more powerful than the PS4 and let the system specs sell it, not hope people will buy it.

Also Nintendo has recently shut down TAS/speedrunners' videos for their games and their bewildering almost "Metallica vs. Napster" like argument against ROMs.

Nintendo announced yesterday they're making a new console which is probbaly coming out next year, and there hasn't been one post about it here.

I love this place.

To be fair, I haven't given a quarter of a shit about the consoles that came out a year and a half ago since they have no games that interest me yet.

Nintendo announced yesterday they're making a new console which is probbaly coming out next year, and there hasn't been one post about it here.

I love this place.

To be fair, I haven't given a quarter of a shit about the consoles that came out a year and a half ago since they have no games that interest me yet.

There's #IDARB.

I love this place.

There's #IDARB.

There's also Resogun, which is still incredible even today.

• Like 1

I love this place.

Well, if Nintendo didn't keep fucking up consoles people might pay more attention.

It only took me 2 1/2 years, but I finally just sat there and played Hotline Miami until I finished the tutorial. After I finally got the rhythm of that stage, the first couple 'real' ones felt much easier. Now I'm kind of stuck on stage 3, but at least I kind of 'get' the game now from a play mechanic standpoint (I understand that there is something to 'get' from an artistic standpoint, but I am not there yet).

I love this place.

Well, if Nintendo didn't keep fucking up consoles people might pay more attention.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I do think that's awesome.

Although, I do champion the Wii U more than most. Because there are some amazing games on it. Pikmin 3 is one of my all/time favorites. But their shitty business decisions and all around user-unfriendliness makes it a hard console to recommend overall.