DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

This is my first experience with an OlliOlli game, after almost buying the first one last month. I love skateboarding, so this is easy for me to get into. The electronic music is right up my alley too. Really addictive gameplay, but difficult. I hit all of the goals in the first level, but can't seem to get 40,000 points in the second level.

CounterSpy is a sweet game, though. 

Can't wait to finally play Valiant Hearts. I love Ubi doing these smaller-budget digital titles. Child of Light was one of my favorite games from last year. 

Speaking of Ubi, where's my next Rayman 2D game, damn it?

Was there any Less Than Jake in Tony Hawk? I didn't think there was.

"All My Best Friends are Metalheads" was in one of the PS2 games.  Another band the series introduced me to: Alkaline Trio, via the American Wasteland OST (which was by far the best thing about the game, which was mostly shit as all the PS2 THPS were, but had an amazing list of modern acts covering punk classics.)

Edited: All the LATER PS2 games. 3 was awesome, 4 was all right. THUG/THUG2/THAW were ass on toast.

• Like 2

I finally caved and got Darkest Dungeon.  It's pretty dang good, although leveling up a crew is a bit more of a grind than I'd care for.  And once things start to go bad in a dungeon they tend to go horrifically, catastrophically bad.  So I pretty much love it.

Yeah, the snowball effect once one party member reaches the boiling point is pretty amazing/miserable and adds that extra calculation into your tactics.  I guess managing stress is the only good reason to keep a Jester in your party, otherwise I don't know what purpose they would serve.

The devs have done a good job keeping the updates and bug fixes flowing at a regular rate, but I really want more content!

Was there any Less Than Jake in Tony Hawk? I didn't think there was.

"All My Best Friends are Metalheads" was in one of the PS2 games.  Another band the series introduced me to: Alkaline Trio, via the American Wasteland OST (which was by far the best thing about the game, which was mostly shit as all the PS2 THPS were, but had an amazing list of modern acts covering punk classics.)

Edited: All the LATER PS2 games. 3 was awesome, 4 was all right. THUG/THUG2/THAW were ass on toast.

I still want my THU3 and THP82 on PS4 (and XB1) damnit.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Thought I'd post some Sniper 3 clips since I'm pretty much done with it as I devote all my time to Alien Isolation (and PES when I need a stress break). 

First up is a lucky triple kill from the solo Horde mode thing.  Wasn't aiming for shots to the junk, but saw three guys lining up and had to pop off a shot quick in hopes to get them all.  Doesn't really show in detail the third guy's leg getting shattered for some reason.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96DEA0DAC55BFAA!120&authkey=!AEijOe_rp2R6ka8&ithint=video%2cmp4

Next clip is again from the Horde mode.  I tear up a lot of dudes in this with my trusty Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk. III, which I pretty much used exclusively once I unlocked it.  I was pretty beastly in this with the .303, but these guys had decided to hunker down instead of spread out...to their cost.  That mode can be pretty hard solo if you don't move and reposition constantly. I knew these were the last guys so just decided to have it out with them all at once. 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96DEA0DAC55BFAA!121&authkey=!AIH8qDuaOKjaeWQ&ithint=video%2cmp4

Phil Spencer, head of X-Box, claims they and Sony are working together to stop these DDOS attacks on X-Box Live and PSN. That's cool.

The proof will be in the pudding.  Can they really stop these annoying teenagers who have way too much time on their hands with nothing better to do?

You guys may have heard me talk about my incredible pile-of-shame stack of games. The most embarrassing of those was The Last of Us because I bought it twice on 2 consoles. Well now I'm posting this as the end credits are rolling because I devoted the last 2 days to beating it. God damn, what a game, what a story. Joel though..... I really don't know if I like him... But Ellie is now on my shortlist of best game characters ever.

I'm gonna do the Left Behind DLC sometime soon. But for now, holy shit, this one is gonna haunt me.

• Like 1

So.. I think all Team Leeroy Jenkins with a PS4 or vita need to pick up Helldivers NOW.. because the amount of insanity and laughter this game could potentially cause is amazing.

(the level of Chaos from Magicka, combined with Starship Troopers the Movie), and yes, you can end up killing each other by mistake. (sometimes for example, when you call in an orbital ammo drop and it accidentally lands on your teammate)

• Like 2

So.. I think all Team Leeroy Jenkins with a PS4 or vita need to pick up Helldivers NOW.. because the amount of insanity and laughter this game could potentially cause is amazing.

(the level of Chaos from Magicka, combined with Starship Troopers the Movie), and yes, you can end up killing each other by mistake. (sometimes for example, when you call in an orbital ammo drop and it accidentally lands on your teammate)

I'm gonna download this and play it for the first time for our channel. It won't go well.

Yeah, that's where the "Magicka level of Chaos" comes in

This is a description of a couple missions of a friend of mine (I haven't played it yet myself)

Mission Set 1

Important lessons that the Not Ponies have learned from last night's play session:

• Quinc is no longer allowed to use shotguns.
  • Make sure that everyone knows where the run button is before setting the fuse on a nuclear demolition charge.
  • Diving for cover is not an effective defense against flamethrowers.
  • Quinc is no longer allowed to use flamethrowers.
  • Turrets come out when all else fails.
  • The previous statement is reversible.
  • Quinc is no longer allowed to use sniper rifles.
  • Although it seems like a good idea, there is no reason for Jackie to triple-check each input when calling for evac.
  • Quinc is no longer allowed to use bazookas.
  • ... or hand grenades.
  • In fact, you know what? Just stand behind us and concentrate on calling down support.
  • If you die while attempting to call down close air support, everyone else should flee the area as quickly as possible.
  • The correct time for Stantz to check the latest intel reports is not during a firefight.
  • ... even if the information would be useful.
  • Friendly fire isn't.
  • Close air support is often very close. Especially when Quinc's calling it down.
  • No one actually can remember the Konami code when being assaulted by cyborgs.
  • What the heck is that thing? Some kind of giant lobster?
  • It spotted us! The lobster spotted us!
  • Bullets just make it angrier.
  • Quinc, grab the flamethrower! Grab the flamethrower!
  • I know what I said!
  • Ignore what I said! Do what I say!
  • Yes, I know that made no sense!
  • Arrggh! (gurgle.)

Mission 2

It turns out that this game has vehicles! That just makes it even better, since it allows us to have complete clusterfucks like this afternoon. 

The Not Ponies are attempting our first Medium Difficulty mission on our first ice planet against the Bugs. We'd just unlocked Mecha Armor two missions prior, so our plan for everything was was to summon Mecha Armor, jump in, stomp around a bit, and finish the mission after all hostiles in the AO is dead. So, we land in a defensible position a little bit away from the first objective, and start calling in everything we need for the mission. Quinc calls in her Mecha suit, we all start loading up on ammo, and then the winds pick up. The Mecha Suit lands off-target, on top of Quinc. Splut.

I start making a request to send down a new Mech pilot, but before I punch in the last command, a bug patrol spots us. We all fall back to defensive positions, when we notice that the bugs aren't actually attacking us. They're more interested in taking out the big armored robot while it's just sitting there. Jackie grabs a flamethrower and charges forward to defend the Mech. 

And then the winds pick up again.

Quinc's drop pod lands off target. On top of the Mecha. In fact, it lands with enough force that every single rocket sitting in the untouched, pristine rocket pod detonates, shredding Jackie into chunks. Quinc crawls out of the pod just in time to be swarmed by bugs. With 40 seconds left before the next time I'm allowed to call down reinforcements and out of machine gun ammo, I turn around a start running for it. Right into another bug patrol.

• Like 1