DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Do the Walking Dead games count?

I mean, I haven't played them. But everyone else has and I haven't heard a lot of hate.

They might be the first visual novel games that have ever actually had my interest.

Not if the guys doing the writing aren't in the WGA. Given the source material, you'd think they would be but perhaps not...

Game time when my son is awake: Recettear.  Why did nobody tell me a game like this existed?  Dungeon delving and running an item shop in an RPG town... so addictive.

Game time for when my son goes to bed: South Park The Stick of Truth.  This fuckin game.  I've broken down laughing several times and now that I'm figuring out some of the mechanics, I'm getting better at combat.  So many call backs that a long time fan like me can appreciate, like Scuzzlebutt in Jimbo's Shop and the Antonio Banderas blow up doll.  Great stuff!

• Like 1

Game time when my son is awake: Recettear.  Why did nobody tell me a game like this existed?  Dungeon delving and running an item shop in an RPG town... so addictive.

Game time for when my son goes to bed: South Park The Stick of Truth.  This fuckin game.  I've broken down laughing several times and now that I'm figuring out some of the mechanics, I'm getting better at combat.  So many call backs that a long time fan like me can appreciate, like Scuzzlebutt in Jimbo's Shop and the Antonio Banderas blow up doll.  Great stuff!

It gets 

SO

MUCH

BETTER.

• Like 2

Finished Walking Dead season 2. Telltale, you guys are motherfuckers.

Loved the first one but... no idea why but I have had no desire to play the second season :/

Same with a lot of my friends too

Because the 1st one was such a breath of fresh air. And this one isn't. Still though, it's exceptional.

Finished Walking Dead season 2. Telltale, you guys are motherfuckers.

Loved the first one but... no idea why but I have had no desire to play the second season :/

Same with a lot of my friends too

I feel the exact same way, even with Bix yelling at me to play it.

I got the AC Xbox One Bundle on Amazon. I used gift cards to get the out of pocket cost to $199. I also go a fifty dollar Amazon credit for doing so which I flipped into buying Diablo 3. Since then I have bought Shadows of Morridor and Destiny. Nothing like establishing a backlog for a new system right out of the gate. 

• Like 1

I got the AC Xbox One Bundle on Amazon. I used gift cards to get the out of pocket cost to $199. I also go a fifty dollar Amazon credit for doing so which I flipped into buying Diablo 3. Since then I have bought Shadows of Morridor and Destiny. Nothing like establishing a backlog for a new system right out of the gate.

Download the FREE Beta for Evolve too. Starts tomorrow and lasts through only this weekend.

• Like 1

Don't expect to play with Big Fresh, though!

I'm just busting your chops man. It's all good!

Unfortunately, you're probably right for the Beta. I work 4-midnight everyday through the weekend, so I'll be doing most of my playing around 1:00 am. :(

I managed to beat my second game of the year, having beaten Tales of Xillia 2.  I feel like it's a stronger game plot-wise than the original, but it also has the advantage of not having to do all the world building the first game did.  I also liked the refinements to the combat system, it's definitely the best of the PS3/360 generation.  Supposedly there are two more endings to get, so I'll probably come back to it at some point and do some of the extra stuff I passed on doing.

And now to kill some more backlog until Persona 5/Tales of Zestria come out.

Finished Alien Isolation. I loved it but do have a couple of criticisms. First, sometimes the controls can be a bit clunky and let you down when you need precise movement and commands. Second, the game betrays the original Alien feel for an over-the-top final third and while a little bit of that would've been fine it just kept getting more and more ludicrous of how anybody could survive any of this shit (or get 1000 lives to do it).

It should have ended shortly after:

the alien nest in the reactor. How can you top that? That was incredible and the most terrifying thing I've ever encountered in a game. You certainly can't top it with a bunch of cheesy Michael Bay spots, as I felt the game increasingly relied on after that sequence. The bit with the trains was so fucking dumb.

But, beside that, this game fucking ruled hard. I hope if they do a sequel, they stick to the atmosphere of cat and mouse with the alien rather than big action sequences. While I didn't play a tonne of games released in 2014, this was by far my favourite of the bunch and I recommend it to everybody. As I'm a softy when it comes to horror in general, I felt this game to be completely draining with its intensity.