DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

This is the first I am hearing that people don't think Kate McKinnon is funny. I think she's been one of the saving graces of this current SNL cast, and raises pretty mediocre material to being watchable with how much she digs into her characters.

My overall take on the cast is that it could have been a lot worse:

Kristen Wiig - funny when she is playing more of a "straight man" character, which with the rest of this cast I am guessing she will be.

Melissa McCarthy - her starring projects are pretty terrible, but she is better and more tolerable when she's in a bigger ensemble and always kills it on SNL.

Kate McKinnon - see above comments, calling it now that if this movie is a success she will break out big-time.

Leslie Jones - total "wild card" - her Weekend Update bits that are basically her ranting are awesome but she's been pretty shaky in sketches where she has to play more of a character and say lines she didn't write.

As for the actual idea of Ghostbusters 3, I am in the camp that thinks they shouldn't try it to begin with, though I admit I was briefly excited when Lord/Miller (Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street) were attached for a few minutes to direct it.

Like the Avengers?

Like Ghostbusters 2?

Like in Little Rascals?

Like in Anchorman?

Like in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Like in the Mighty Ducks?

Like in D2: The Mighty Ducks?

Um, yes?

How badly are people guys losing their shit over an all women lead Ghostbusters movie?

I need some hate to strengthen me.

I hated the idea of Ghostbusters 3 every time Dan Aykroyd ever mentioned it.  Why?  Because I remember Blues Brothers 2000. 

• Like 2

Maybe they're remaking the 70s show and McCarthy is playing Tracy the gorilla?

Is that a poor fat joke?

Well, looking at the picture ChesterCopperpot posted, he could have went the other way and gotten himself banned. So there is that.

The awful feeling I get about this movie is that the girls will have a falling out, but something will bring them back together and they'll learn from it.

I HATE that movie trope, especially in comedies where is feels like its riveted on to the script for no real reason. Almost literally every comedy I've seen in the last twenty five years has the stupid, "hero is an asshole" for ten minutes, and then quickly forgiven about the 65-70 minute mark. . . Ugh. . . 

• Like 1

Is that a poor fat joke?

Well, looking at the picture ChesterCopperpot posted, he could have went the other way and gotten himself banned. So there is that.

That is super racist.

My comment was biting commentary on the types of roles Melissa is best known for.

Leslie Jones would be perfect as Ray, Kate McKinnon seems a lock for Egon, and McCarthy would probably be best suite for the "everyman" role that Winston fills.  That means that the studio heads would probably want the story to revolve around "Winnie," so whingers could have more to complain about.

I'm reading this discussion on another board about the possibility that they would do a misguided tribute and CGI in a Harold Ramis cameo as a ghost.  It's 100% pure speculation, but everyone is having this hilarious reaction like "No... they couldn't possibly actually seriously do that, right?  RIGHT?  Please god no."

So shooting finally began on the Danny Boyle directed/Aaron Sorkin written Steve Jobs biopic - which they finally decided to just call Steve Jobs.

What I found interesting is that apparently it is only going up to the release of the iMac so the movie will be ending in 1998

Set backstage at three iconic product launches and ending in 1998 with the unveiling of the iMac, the film aims to take audiences behind the scenes of the digital revolution to paint an intimate portrait of the brilliant man at its epicenter.

Is that a poor fat joke?

That is super racist.

no-not-really.gif

• Like 1

So shooting finally began on the Danny Boyle directed/Aaron Sorkin written Steve Jobs biopic - which they finally decided to just call Steve Jobs.

What I found interesting is that apparently it is only going up to the release of the iMac so the movie will be ending in 1998

Set backstage at three iconic product launches and ending in 1998 with the unveiling of the iMac, the film aims to take audiences behind the scenes of the digital revolution to paint an intimate portrait of the brilliant man at its epicenter.

WTF. That was my main gripe with the OTHER Steve Jobs movie.

C'mon, give us the iPod/iPhone/iPad stuff.

Wow. I couldn't even make it through the trailer.

You didn't miss anything. Good grief.

How the heck do you get that many people whose work I like into one movie and have it be completely awful?