DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

I've been seeing commercials for the new "vacation" reboot/sequel, and it looks like a crime against humanity. I know the Chevy Chase sequels weren't all gold(Christmas, yes, Vegas "bad, but watchable, European, piece of shit), but this looks a shit stain. . . 

Fruitvale Station is fantastic.

Fruitvale Station is fucking awesome. I still yell FRUUUUTTTVALLEEE~! into the mic when I am playing GTA5 and am about start a mission where cop killing is involved.

Verified.   

Even taking out the police brutality stuff (which is, of course, extremely important) the strength of Fruitvale Station is that it takes you from the statistics and gives you a glimpse into someone else's life. How many times do you hear on the news "so and so person was killed in suspicious circumstances"? And you never ever think twice about it. You never think, hey, that victim had a life like you or me. You forgot about it. That movie reminds you of the normal people who get crushed under authoritarianism and the heels of history.

It's basically a film about empathy.

• Like 1

I think Fruitvale succeeded in doing what it sought to do - show you the mundane last parts of a young man's life before a tragic event. In that respect, it succeeded. But mundane is...boring. And I don't think the movie elevated itself at all above what are, really, very low aspirations.

I think Fruitvale succeeded in doing what it sought to do - show you the mundane last parts of a young man's life before a tragic event. In that respect, it succeeded. But mundane is...boring. And I don't think the movie elevated itself at all above what are, really, very low aspirations.

Everyone's mundane is boring, Tabe.  That was the whole point.  To represent Oscar Grant as a normal person like the rest of us whose life just happened to be taken away tragically by security guards that overstepped their authority. 

Grant wasn't a saint, but he wasn't the devil, either.  Just a guy who made one mistake too many and tried to get through life one day at a time like everybody does, only he never made it.

• Like 1

I'll never forget when the bit at the end came up and said the BART cop got, like, two years in prison. And I was happy because I thought: Hey, at least one of these guys went to jail! 

Then I realized: Oh, right. Two years, including time served, for killing needlessly someone is still an absolute fucking joke. 

Not a film I would ever regret seeing, but, still, rather sad.

Everyone's mundane is boring, Tabe. That was the whole point. To represent Oscar Grant as a normal person like the rest of us whose life just happened to be taken away tragically by security guards that overstepped their authority.

Grant wasn't a saint, but he wasn't the devil, either. Just a guy who made one mistake too many and tried to get through life one day at a time like everybody does, only he never made it.

I like I said, it succeeded in showing the mundane. But that doesn't make it a good movie. I felt like the movie set a very low bar for itself ("we're gonna show Oscar's last couple hours in all their boring detail and....that's it") and then never really aspired for anything better/higher. If you feel that the movie was making a statement with the mundane-ness (there's a good non-word) and that it worked for you on that level, great. I just think they could have done 90% the same movie, with the same authenticity, only better.

Since I don't think this stalemate is going to end, I will say that I don't think Fruitvale Station would have been a good movie for me if it didn't have that Elephant vibe with me and having that slow sense of dread. I barely made it through United 93, but I wasn't really judging it on whether or not this or that was happening before stuff went down. I can certainly see why people would dislike some of those movies because virtually nothing happens for most of the movie. I mean do I really need to see Oscar Grant make a trip to the grocery store? Not really, but I've already accepted that in some part by watching this movie.

I liked The Railway Man, but even without knowing the true story, I know they spruced the shit out of the story to make it interesting.

However, I will also say that I wasn't really expecting Michael B. Jordan and the director to blow up like they did. I think Jordan is talented and Coogler may be a good director some day, but making a random Rocky spinoff movie? Yeah, I can live without that. I'm kinda hard to impress when it comes to boxing and combat sports films, but I dunno even if I wasn't an avid fan that I would like that trailer. I thought it stunk. Plus, I think Boseman would be a better choice even though I didn't like Boseman as James Brown. However, that's the shakes when there is like two or three young black actors Hollywood gives a shit about.

TBH, I thought Michael B. Jordan was by far the best part of Chronicle. 

I like Chronicle too but that's a low budget indie movie that's built to not make him look like a weak actor. I didn't watch those movies and go, "You know that kid should really be placed in major roles where he is doomed to fail because he needs some more seasoning."

Hell, based on what's been put out there, you can argue that same thing with Josh Trank and his directing.

Granted,he added the 'B' to separate him from, well, the Michael Jordan, but I cant help but feel Michael B. Jordan passed up on a great opportunity to outright change his name.  

'Michael' is a bit of a dull name anyway.

Be Horatio Jordan or Stormchaser Jordan instead.

I mean do I really need to see Oscar Grant make a trip to the grocery store?

Come on, man.  He met the girl who shot the video of his murder when he went to that store.  Also he went to beg for his job back.  Try to keep making an honest buck lest he repeat the same mistakes that got him sent to prison.

It was all foreshadowing, perhaps a bit too much.

I can dig what you and Tabe are saying though.  I'm not discounting your opinions just because I don't agree with them.

MBJ was my favorite part of Chronicle also. I'll be curious to see how well he stands out in Fantastic Four.

Also, I get people having trepidation for this Creed movie. I have a totally irrational love of the Rocky movies so I'm totally stoked. I understand how someone else could look at that and go, "ehh...I'm not too sure about this..."

I mean do I really need to see Oscar Grant make a trip to the grocery store?

Come on, man.  He met the girl who shot the video of his murder when he went to that store.  Also he went to beg for his job back.  Try to keep making an honest buck lest he repeat the same mistakes that got him sent to prison.

Oh yeah, I know that. I was just saying that's probably a scene someone would call mundane.

But yeah, I am not really feeling Southpaw either. I'm still trying to figure out why they're calling it Southpaw since everyone in the trailers is standing orthodox. Maybe I missed something.