DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

Sofia Coppola will no longer be directing the live acion Little Mermaid

Left over "creative differences"

Why the hell is there a live action version being made? The animated one is basically perfect.

Sofia wanted more shots of Ariel staring out of her hotel room with a melancholoy look on her face, obviously.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/clint-eastwood-to-direct-sully-for-warner-bros-1201510578/

Clint Eastwood directing a movie about the Miracle on the Hudson pilot.

IMO, it's a nice story but I can't really see it appealling to many people, drama-wise. Captain Philips had Somali pirates. American Sniper had terrorists.

A flock of Birds are pretty much the bad guys here.  Unless you add in a subplot where they're evil terrorist birds and Sully has to climb onto the wing plane to fight them off, I think this movie will lack something. 

Yes, every drama has to be Captain Phillips and/or American Sniper.

Clint Eastwood directed a movie where a real life black drag queen was the most entertaining part of an otherwise lackluster narrative (and a sea of over-the-top bad accents). Then before that, he did a film where a little kid in tighty whities traveled around the country with crazy, creepy criminal Kevin Costner. I think he has been around long enough to roll with the punches.

Disney can't open a live action movie to save their lives and neither can Sofia Coppola. How would that have worked?

The live action Cinderella opened over 67 million this year.

Sofia wanted more shots of Ariel staring out of her hotel room with a melancholoy look on her face, obviously.

Set over a Joy Division song.

We've been deprived of Bill Murray with a giant beard and trident.

That's not necessarily true, they could still get Wes Anderson. . . .
That was my quote. Get the girl from moonrise kingdom as ariel and owen wilson as voice of the crab. Angelica Huston as Ursula

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/clint-eastwood-to-direct-sully-for-warner-bros-1201510578/

Clint Eastwood directing a movie about the Miracle on the Hudson pilot.

Good to see Clint has settled into his niche: Dramatizations about real life "heroes" that white people from middle America get moist over.

When I was a high school teacher and the book that Everest is based on - Into Thin Air - came out, one of my students showed me the book and that his dad was in it. I forget exactly what he was in there for. I think he was a climber but wasn't part of the actual disaster and didn't summit.

There are no windows under the sea for Ariel to look out of

I've decided Sofia Coppola is as good a director as one can be when they're directing things where nothing is really happening.

Like, Marie Antoinette is a good movie, probably her best one, but she's the only director in the world who could think "Eh, let's leave out the execution scene" when doing a frigging Marie Antoinette biopic.