DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm so glad the world has finally come around to the fact that FARGO smoked TRUE DETECTIVE.

Current serial killer shows in order of quality (in my opinion)

Hannibal

Bates Motel

Fargo

True Detective

The Fall

The Following

And, holy shit, I didn't realize just how many serial killer shows where on television.

"serial killers"  are the new "young, attractive but dysfunctional people in New York looking for love" of the television world.

I'm so glad the world has finally come around to the fact that FARGO smoked TRUE DETECTIVE.

Current serial killer shows in order of quality (in my opinion)

Hannibal

Bates Motel

Fargo

True Detective

The Fall

The Following

I'm still waiting on season two of BATES to hit Netflix. I thought season 1 was up by the holidays last year. Not sure what the delay is.

Weirdly, I find fictional serial killers on television way more interesting than real-life ones, who usually come off rather boring.

I remember watching that Alieen Wuornos documentary Nick Broomfield made...and obviously it's a very sad story and she had a hard life and she shouldn't have been executed...but the woman was just crazy.  And not even the interesting type of crazy.  She was a rambling nut.  Too sad and dysfunctional to be compelling.

TV teaches us that serial killers are deep, cultured and listen to classical music and all that. In real life, I doubt these people are that interesting to talk to.

• Like 1

Does Broadchurch count, but since it was only one victim, is it ecluded?

I grouped it in when I proclaimed "No serial killer shows!" last year and we stopped after episode 4. I just had enough of tortured cops and sympathetic serial killers. 

In news probably unrelated to serial killers, Woody Allen is going to write and direct a series for Amazon.

I bet it will involve some creepy old guy lusting after a 19 year old girl and him trying to frame it as an exsistential mid-life crisis instead of him just being a perv.

• Like 2

I grouped it in when I proclaimed "No serial killer shows!" last year and we stopped after episode 4. I just had enough of tortured cops and sympathetic serial killers. 

Television has taught us that FBI agents do nothing but get too personallly involved in their work.

Television has taught us that FBI agents do nothing but get too personallly involved in their work.

And that cops and federal agencies all fight over who gets to do the work on a case. Also, a cop/agent's significant other will marry them, fully knowing their workload and job stress, but will get upset and either leave them or cheat on them.

Question: Has there ever been a TV or movie where a cop or CIA agent or FBI agent did not get too personally involved with their work?

Only one I can think of is the original Fargo movie. Marge was obviously a bit flabbergasted by everything that went on but she was clearly able to put it all behind her at the end of the day and go home to her husband. It was part of what made the character so compelling, IMO. It really was just a job to her. Pretty much the opposite of all the television and movies you see. 

In news probably unrelated to serial killers, Woody Allen is going to write and direct a series for Amazon.

I bet it will involve some creepy old guy lusting after a 19 year old girl and him trying to frame it as an exsistential mid-life crisis instead of him just being a perv.

and played by Owen Wilson, the new Woody proxy.

Shameless is still hilarious, Emmy Rossum and William H. Macy (hell, the entire cast) are still awesome, and Shanola Hampton is walking around with her tits out in a majority of the first episode of this season. There is no reason you have to not watch.

Yes she certainly is........and Emmy Rossum is just yowza as always.

Love this show.  And is it just me or did Kevin/Steve Howey get crazy jacked in the off season? I don't remember him being so huge.

and played by Owen Wilson, the new Woody proxy.

I remember when Jason Biggs was the new Woody proxy for a while.

That was rough.

Broad City fucking killed it with the season opener. Awesome stuff.

Broad City is back, and Comedy Central has wisely already renewed it for a third season.  All is right.

I feel this is the year they'll get the big buzz.

And, holy shit, I didn't realize just how many serial killer shows where on television.

"serial killers"  are the new "young, attractive but dysfunctional people in New York looking for love" of the television world.

I've just started watching Dexter on Netflix. Made it through the first 2 seasons so far. I like it, though everyone I know has been warning me that the quality drops off greatly in the last 2 seasons.