DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I liked Moneyball, too, despite the whole "We have Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and a few All-Star infielders" part being ignored. But that's more of a problem with the book than the script.

To be fair, you can fairly attribute some of that to Bennett Miller's love of revisionist history or downright making stuff up. According to him, people were watching footage from 1996 in 1988.

USA cancelled Covert Affairs

Maybe I am wrong but I always felt the USA originals just ran their course and then went away. I don't remember ever hearing about one being cancelled. (Granted I don't think I have ever watched a USA show)

Of course that could just be picking nits with the terminology.

USA cancelled Covert Affairs

Maybe I am wrong but I always felt the USA originals just ran their course and then went away. I don't remember ever hearing about one being cancelled. (Granted I don't think I have ever watched a USA show)

Of course that could just be picking nits with the terminology.

More or less.  Most USA shows get renewed/cancelled well in advance, so the producers and showrunner know well in advance when the last year will be.  Generally, the end of most USA dramas gets announced as 'the show is ending" without making it clear if it was a network decision or the creators.  Usually, the spin seems to be "the creators have decided to end the show". 

I don't remember Psych being announced as a cancellation.  White Collar wasn't announced as a cancellation, but it was later reported the production company was wanting a full season pick-up instead of the five eps it ended up getting.   Covert Affair is the first established USA show in a while to get a surprise cancellation notice, I think.

Rush did get canceled earlier this year, but it was in it's first season.

As much as I loved Psych, it definitely ran it's course.  I mean, the show really covered everything it possibly could, and was blessed with a nice little sendoff.  I do like that about USA, because I think they realize that their shows had a dedicated following, and rewarded that by letting them have a proper end.

USA Network should take more risks with their programming. TVs going through a golden age right now and they're just churning out good looking people running around in suits. Give Bryan Fuller a shot with a show or reboot some old sci fi show or something.

Harris will be heartbroken but he'll get over it.

Time for Silk Stalkings: the next generation

Scarily, Big Show has seemingly starred in every other USA show so they'd probably get him mixed up in that too.

La Femme Nikita was a legitimately great show, IMO.

Scarily, Big Show has seemingly starred in every other USA show so they'd probably get him mixed up in that too.

Yep. It's a shame LOXG killed Peta's career dead.

Thanks to this thing called "Antenna T.V." and WKRP, I now know that this thing

herb_tarlek.jpg

that Herb Tarlek is wearing...this tie without a knot...this bizarre 1970s thing I had never seen before...

actually is a knot...it's called an "Onassis knot" because it's how Aristotle Onassis wore his ties.

onassis_knot_300x300.jpg

FAHIONBATISTANISTAS TAKE NOTE!!!

And please please do clue me in on any other examples of this beautiful absurd nightmare.

Note: Willie Mays wears one, but loose, you know...loooose and sitting there all sly in between a sad jock's half Windsor and a Presidential double.

Willie_Mays_Obama.jpg

But I can't find anyone else.  Rumblings are that one shows up in MEAN STREETS but I haven't found a picture.

• Like 1

Yep. It's a shame LOXG killed Peta's career dead.

I thought it was interesting how the show barely had a fraction of the budget the CW reboot Nikita must have had...but it still managed to make Section One look about 100 times more ominous, cold and scary.

Minimalism works, I guess.

I can't remember where I was reading this but it's true that HBO GO is coming as a standalone service correct? Has there been any news on what will be available and price?

No new news as far as I know on price but it's supposed to be up around time time of the Game of Thrones premiere