DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Also, Studio 60 is my all-time favorite hate watch. That show was so incredibly awful it was amazing.

Oh dammit, I'd forgotten all about that stupid show. I checked out of that show after a scene where Bradley Whitford's character tried shaming another about her drinking and driving by saying that his cocaine addiction at least doesn't hurt anyone else. It was the most egregious Sorkin avatar moments I can remember and also I'm sure your cocaine use hurts no one, if you just ignore all the lives it destroys as it makes its way from South America to your entitled ass.

The new season of Mythbusters starts tonight and they are basically calling it Mythbusters 2.0

Discovery's video explaining all the changes

Since it's a Discovery video - they do completely ignore Grant, Tory and Kari getting "fired"

It might be spin, but adam did an interview saying discovery was negotiating with them for their own show.

Also, Studio 60 is my all-time favorite hate watch. That show was so incredibly awful it was amazing.

Oh dammit, I'd forgotten all about that stupid show. I checked out of that show after a scene where Bradley Whitford's character tried shaming another about her drinking and driving by saying that his cocaine addiction at least doesn't hurt anyone else. It was the most egregious Sorkin avatar moments I can remember and also I'm sure your cocaine use hurts no one, if you just ignore all the lives it destroys as it makes its way from South America to your entitled ass.

The best part about that show was the "comedy." Anything they showed on that dumb show that was supposed to generate a laugh was the absolute opposite of funny. I loved the whole "return" scene where they do some sort of self-referential song-and-dance bit masked as a Gilbert and Sullivan parody. Naturally, it gets a standing ovation from the Studio 60 audience. It's just absolutely terrible and wince inducing. Also, isn't one of West Wing's characters a huge GIlbert and Sullivan fan? I can sort of buy some Ivy League button-up strap-on with a White House job being into Victorian operas. Those people went to prep schools and Ivy League schools and had absolute no exposure to what people actually consume. But for a comedy writer/team to say: "Hey, you know what we should do with our episode after this big huge scandal happened? We gotta go BIG. Let's break out the Gilbert and make all the lyrics about our inside baseball. People will FLIP" is ludicrous. And then for the fictional audience to love it as they did... Ye gads.

Even the very first scene of that show is garbage. It's a near word-for-word rip-off of Network. But of course, the fake network news teams keep saying, "In a scene right out of Network..." What a cop-out from actually having to write something original.

Man, I wish that show was still on Netflix.

I feel like A Few Good Men is the only thing Sorkin has written that has held up well at all.  I used the really like Sportsnight, but on rewatch the writing is really just atrocious and unbelievable.  And I find huge, huge swathes of The West Wing absolutely unwatchable.

I feel like A Few Good Men is the only thing Sorkin has written that has held up well at all.  I used the really like Sportsnight, but on rewatch the writing is really just atrocious and unbelievable.  And I find huge, huge swathes of The West Wing absolutely unwatchable.

Which is ironic considering he left the show just over halfway through its run.

The fact that Animaniacs isn't readily available on some type of digital format (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) makes me sad.

I don't think I am going to make it past three episodes of Celebrity Apprentice this season, unless Terrell Owens snaps and beats the shit out of Geraldo Rivera. One episode in, and I already want the United States of America to deport Piers Morgan.

If I understood correctly, the point of view of State of Affairs is that if you protest an innocent college professor being hauled off and abused, you're a political blowhard.  And if the president allows such measures, she's a hard-nosed soldier in the War on Terror.

Damn Liberal Hollywood!

I feel like A Few Good Men is the only thing Sorkin has written that has held up well at all. I used the really like Sportsnight, but on rewatch the writing is really just atrocious and unbelievable. And I find huge, huge swathes of The West Wing absolutely unwatchable.

Uh... wow.

I feel like A Few Good Men is the only thing Sorkin has written that has held up well at all. I used the really like Sportsnight, but on rewatch the writing is really just atrocious and unbelievable. And I find huge, huge swathes of The West Wing absolutely unwatchable.

Uh... wow.

Season 2 and 3 of Newsroom *really* caused people to turn on Sorkin, didn't it?

I am curious to know if the parts of West Wing that Zimbra dislikes are the ones well after Sorkin left

That's a fair question, and I don't really know.  Most of what I watched was in reruns on Bravo or IFC and I wasn't watching in a systematic way.

Yeah Sorkin left after the 4th season so anything after that wouldn't be on him.

And there are plenty of people on the internet who think Post-Sorkin West Wing was the worst television ever.

Uh... wow.

Season 2 and 3 of Newsroom *really* caused people to turn on Sorkin, didn't it?

Mine was a combo of Studio 60 and the first couple episodes of Newsroom.

Dear god, SLEEPY HOLLOW. Katrina just went from sorta-tolerable to KILL HER NOW. I mean, that was a character destroying episode. Unless they plan on turning her heel later this season, I just don't see how they can keep her on the show if she's going to keep pulling interolerable shit like that.

I liked The Social Network fine. I liked Moneyball, too, despite the whole "We have Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and a few All-Star infielders" part being ignored. But that's more of a problem with the book than the script.

I've never seen The Network. I think I'd last about 10 seconds.