DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Same thing as the movie thread. Let's see if this works.

And much like the movie thread - I spent Christmas watching Kids stuff I would normally avoid.

My son found that Netflix only King Julien show (another Madagascar spinoff show). There are 5 episodes (I think the actual name is All Hail King Julien). It is far better than Penguins of Madagascar - heck it's much better than either Madagascar sequel.

India de Beaufort is the voice of Clover. She, too, is a gorgeous human being.

Being off from work, the lady and I blew through the first season of Reign this week and it's really good. Basically it's The Tudors mixed with Gossip Girl with a liberal dash of Game of Thrones thrown in.  I wasn't expecting much from a CW show, but it's brought the goods.

All I need now is a Lady Kenna HBO spinoff.  I can dream.

This may seem kinda random, but I recently started watching Cheers on Netflix.  I watched it often as a kid, but this is my first time watching it as an adult.  I have to say that I found myself surprised at how well it all holds up.  Many times when you watch older shows, the jokes and references come off really dated, but I don't get that here.  Sure, there are a couple of references to world events or figures at the time, but for the most part, the jokes are relatable for any era.

• Like 1

I started watching Black Mirror on Netflix and I don't think I've seen such a bleak satire show on TV before.  There's something to a show where I have the feeling to look away when nothing graphic is going on but what they hit with modern people's traits is really brutal and quite honest.  I'm watching the episode with the "American Idol" type show is leaving me breathless.

I started watching Black Mirror on Netflix and I don't think I've seen such a bleak satire show on TV before. There's something to a show where I have the feeling to look away when nothing graphic is going on but what they hit with modern people's traits is really brutal and quite honest. I'm watching the episode with the "American Idol" type show is leaving me breathless.

I've only watched "The National Anthem" but it was definitely one of the most vile and gripping things I've ever seen. My wife wandered in right around the part where he was about to f that pig and decided I was a lesser person for making her watch it.

Great stuff.

Being off from work, the lady and I blew through the first season of Reign this week and it's really good. Basically it's The Tudors mixed with Gossip Girl with a liberal dash of Game of Thrones thrown in. I wasn't expecting much from a CW show, but it's brought the goods.

All I need now is a Lady Kenna HBO spinoff. I can dream.

Bizarrely, the CW has very quietly turned out some pretty quality tv the past few years. Arrow and Flash are both very fun, and Jane the Virgin has my favorite two performances on any show this season. I liked Reign, and the first few seasons of Vampire Diaries were pretty good as well. I think they take a lot of risks because there isn't as much pressure for ratings that some of the larger networks have.

I feel bad for laughing at Jane the Virgin's premise so much since it is apparently a decent show and been the only CW to get nominated for golden globes and stuff.

If the angle is "normal people stuck in a ridiculous telenova" then you can give the whole "accidental artificial insemination" silliness a pass since it's satire.

Finally caught up completely on SLEEPY HOLLOW just in time for it to come back on Monday.

I didn't really see the significant drop-off in quality that I had heard about and feared. The narrative wasn't as tight, which led to a mid-section where Henry essentially played a Power Rangers big bad, conjuring up the ghoul of the week, and produced a few generic episodes built around supernatural TV tropes (a Succubus! a haunted asylum!), but that's to be expected with the expanded episode order.

But when the story got back down to business at the end, it didn't miss a beat.

And in the end, Hawley (Blonde Nathan Drake) wasn't as obnoxious as I feared he would be, thought he also wasn't even close to being as charming of a rogue as the show clearly intends him to be, at this point. I think it's more of an actor thing, than a writing thing, though, so I'm not sure how much hope there is for improvement.

And, dear god, lose that magic necklace that lets Headless talk.

I started watching Black Mirror on Netflix and I don't think I've seen such a bleak satire show on TV before. There's something to a show where I have the feeling to look away when nothing graphic is going on but what they hit with modern people's traits is really brutal and quite honest. I'm watching the episode with the "American Idol" type show is leaving me breathless.

I've only watched "The National Anthem" but it was definitely one of the most vile and gripping things I've ever seen. My wife wandered in right around the part where he was about to f that pig and decided I was a lesser person for making her watch it.

Great stuff.

Watched the first three episodes this weekend and wow is it dark. But right on the money when it's skewering people. society and popular trends. The third episode hit a nerve with me. I'm glad I've never dealt with that issue but I felt for the guy who's life started to unravel literally before his eyes.

You know me. If you put a mountain in front of me, it gets scaled. And with that, I have finished watching all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls.

SPOILERS

It's a truly wonderful show. It runs out of steam in the final two seasons. The introduction and relationship between Rory and Logan is pretty much the absolute worse, because he's a total creep and jerk and all I want to do is see him get comeuppance and not find his way. The Lorelai/Luke/Christopher love triangle gets old after a while, especially when they introduce Luke's long-lost daughter into the fold. Emily and Richard remain the absolute best, though, throughout the entire show.

But the show really picked up in the final three episodes and has a really great series finale with a perfect ending.

My all-time favorite shows:

1) FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.
2) THE WIRE
3) THE OFFICE (US)

4) GILMORE GIRLS
5) THE SOPRANOS.

1) I watched some of Homicide in its original run. I was in high school for a lot of it and don't remember it. I did love the book it's based off of, though. (David Simon wrote it.)

2) I haven't seen The Shield.

3) I really don't like The West Wing. It has a lot of strong moments early on but when they get to stuff like the Yasser Arafat cosplay and -- ye gads -- THE LIVE DEBATE... it's truly hard to watch that.

You should watch HOMICIDE.  It's a good version of THE WIRE.

Actually, it reminds me of a Marvel movie.  Generally lighthearted, but still capable of dealing with serious business.

There's a reason that Munch has been on 10 different US shows over the course of 22 years