DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Putting Kevin James and Larry The Cable Guy in the same company as the late great John Candy is an atrocity sir.

*edit*

Not being pissy to you Zeidler... I just really hate those two

Totally understand, John Candy is classy as fuck

Good question. Off the top of my head:

John Goodman plays more characters than just the goofy fat oaf.

I'd say Gabourey Sidebe but that's disingenuous. She was cast in Precious exactly because she looked that way and hasn't done a whole lot since. And man was she was cast as a buffoon in Tower Heist. "HAW HAW she's so fat and dark skinned it's hilarious that she's attracted to Eddie isn't it!"

Sidibe plays a smart assistant to Terrence Howard's Lucious Lyon on the hottest show on TV, Empire. Her weight has yet to be discussed one way or another. Just sayin'.

Sidibe has put together a strong TV career for herself:  The Big C, American Horror Story: Coven, and now Empire.

I think the takeaway here is that only male actors are allowed to be fat and crude and be praised for it. It's a shame that Chris Farley is dead so he can't personally shame Melissa McCarthy for not staying in Stars Hollow for her entire career because being a loud fat person is HIS gig.

It's fat GUY in a little coat not fat...fat...

It's fat GUY.

How many fat leading men are there?

Jack Black, John Candy, Kevin James, Larry The Cable Guy, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson, Clark Duke

Solid list of commercially viable big comedy dudes, and thank you for it. If you want to take it back further? Belushi. Farley.

But, that's not really the point. The point is how often does everyone rail against Chris Farley as that fat unfunny guy that does the same fat unfunny thing over and over again in as negative a way as they do McCarthy online? I just don't see what Melissa McCarthy has to be 'ashamed' of for finding her Matt Foley character and taking it to the bank.

Now that I think about it, wasn't there a mythical 'Ghostbusters 3' starring Farley and Stiller and a few of those guys where the old school Busters show them the ropes rumored for ages?

Shittier, really.  Read reviews of almost any of Farley's movies and you'll see the same complaints popping up.  Kevin James has somehow sidestepped the general "fatty go boom" shit.  Maybe because Sandler saw what it did to Farley?  Who knows.

Putting Kevin James and Larry The Cable Guy in the same company as the late great John Candy is an atrocity sir.

*edit*

Not being pissy to you Zeidler... I just really hate those two

Totally understand, John Candy is classy as fuck

Goddamn I miss John Candy.

And Ghostbusters 3 starring (anyone) is a bad idea.  I didn't hate 2 like a lot of folks, but that was the end of it for me.  A part 3 several years later with different people didn't interest me in the least.

Anyone?

Try these:

If you want dudes:

Ian McShane as Venkman,
JK Simmons as Ray,  
Giancarlo Esposito as Egon,
and Harry Dean Stanton as Rick Moranis.

Julia Louis Dreyfuss can be Dana

If it has to be ladies:

Chelsea Peretti is Venkman
Amy Sedaris is Ray
Bebe Neuwirth is Egon
Pamela Adlon is Rick Moranis

Julia Louis Dreyfuss is Dana.

Melissa McCarthy is a beautiful and extremely talented woman.

Not that you would know, from the shit Hollywood keeps putting her in all the time.

The shit "Hollywood" puts her in.  "Tammy" was her dream project.  She wrote it and her husband directed it.  But go ahead and blame "Hollywood."

OK, that makes me sad.

Even Melissa McCarthy is sabotaging Melissa McCarthy's career.

so i watched See No Evil 2 the other day. good lord, what a piece of crap that was. i enjoyed the first one way more than i expected to, so that earned the sequel a viewing. but bad acting, bad script, bad layout. plus there weren't many gory death scenes. a lot of them happened off-camera. yikes. count me out if they make a third.

so i watched See No Evil 2 the other day. good lord, what a piece of crap that was. i enjoyed the first one way more than i expected to, so that earned the sequel a viewing. but bad acting, bad script, bad layout. plus there weren't many gory death scenes. a lot of them happened off-camera. yikes. count me out if they make a third.

Yeah, I was so disappointed. It was horribly put together.

I watched John Wick a couple of days ago and I feel Kevin Nash has been playing a bodyguard/"the muscle" for over half of his life now.  Good work if you can get it.  Still think Magic Mike is his best performance.  Or maybe his Punisher role.  We need a 7 Degrees of Kevin Nash discussion.

Anyone see The Guest?  It's by the guys who did "You're Next".

I skipped around parts of the movie, but I liked the old school vibe to it.  Good old crazy house guest.   They were very vague about the "program" he was in and I think they use it to make him seem unstoppable.  I think I would been fine with him just being M.I.A. psychopath.

The lead had the perfect look for the role though.  He was eating it up in some of those scenes.

The soundtrack was fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtO0EunG0IQ

Finally watched my Zero Theorem blu ray.  Took me about an hour to realize it was doin' like a 1999 futurist pre-cellphone-ubiquity thing.  It still seems like he's rehashing Brazil with weak CGI effects and that Peter Molyneux what's inside the cube game.  Also, that Matt Damon role was aching to be played by an alive and well Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Just too much left unresolved without even a hint of something to speculate upon.