DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was so magnificent and awesome. One of my top 5 movies from last year. I don't have one single complaint or thing I wished was done differently about. Only other movie I can say that about is Guardians of the Galaxy, and even then, I'm sure there's something I would change.

• Like 1

Another recent viewing:

Good People - Kate Hudson and James Franco are a struggling couple who discover a satchel full of cash in their basement when their tenant is murdered.  Turns out he was into some not-so-savory stuff with the sort of friends that that brings along.  They take the money and begin using it to help with their debts...and then the bad guys come looking for it.  The movie then goes off the rails from merely boring and uninteresting to being actively bad.  It ends up being really standard fare with so many thrill cliches - the bad guy who miraculously comes back to life and finds strength, the unexpected good guy saving the day and so on.  Ugh.  3/10.

I actually typed in "objectionable woman" in that post. I think it's the board equivalent of calling someone a berk*.

* Mild British pejorative from the 80s, usually considered to be not that offensive - like calling someone a chump. Only it originates from rhyming slang, and was an abbreviation of Berkeley Hunt. Which has one obvious rhyme.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was so magnificent and awesome. One of my top 5 movies from last year. I don't have one single complaint or thing I wished was done differently about. Only other movie I can say that about is Guardians of the Galaxy, and even then, I'm sure there's something I would change.

If there was a change to Guardians, it would be to switch Zoe and Karen GIllan in their roles. . . IF. . . 

Man, echoing the sentiments from earlier in the thread about Big Hero 6. Fun, funny, entertaining, likeable and if I was a 9 year old kid, it'd pretty much be my favourite film ever. As it is, I'm a 29 year old kid and it's still fucking awesome. 

Not sure if it's even worth putting in spoilers but:

Totally had to have James Cromwell voiced dude turn out to be the villain of the piece because why else would you hire Rolo Tomassi?

If I'm good this year, I want a Baymax for Christmas.

Homefront - Jason Statham is a former DEA agent living in the middle of nowhere after an undercover bust gone bad.  When his daughter beats up a bully at school, he ends up on the wrong side of some nasty characters.  It's then up to him to defend his...homefront.  Look, this ain't rocket science.  You know what you're getting going in - Statham looking and acting tough, great fight sequences and a barely plausible story.  It's the Jason Statham formula - and it works.  Rounding out the cast are Winona Ryder and Kate Bosworth as meth addicts.  Bosworth, who hasn't looked healthy since Blue Crush, looks positively awful here.  I mean, I know she's supposed to but...wow.  She looks genuinely anorexic, ill, and messed-up here.  But she's really good in her role.  Anyway, this is standard fare.  Entertaining though!  6/10.

Bosworth never really recovered from the Lois Lane debacle.

And someone needs to give Winona her own television show. Maybe something where she solves crimes while drinking and being all troubled and stuff.

I do enjoy that my son immediately picked up on the fact that TJ Miller (who was voicing Fred) also voiced Tuffnut in the How To Train Your Dragon stuff.

Also - my wife was telling me that people are her school were PISSED that they went to see Into the Woods and didn't know it was a musical

That made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

I do enjoy that my son immediately picked up on the fact that TJ Miller (who was voicing Fred) also voiced Tuffnut in the How To Train Your Dragon stuff.

Also - my wife was telling me that people are her school were PISSED that they went to see Into the Woods and didn't know it was a musical

That made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

To be fair, with 'Into the Woods', the previews did not really show the musical aspects, so if you don't know the source material, you wouldn't necessarily know that without some digging.  My brother (who hates musicals) and I were talking on Christmas day and he was saying how his girlfriend's mother wanted to take them out to a movie and he was hoping they'd choose 'Horrible Bosses 2' or 'Into the Woods' and I was surprised about the latter, being a musical and all, and my brother went "It's a MUSICAL?!  Okay, now I really hope it's Horrible Bosses 2'!" (For completion's sake, they ended up staying in and renting 'Chef').  I talked to two other people who were unaware it was a musical, as well.  I wasn't aware myself after seeing the early trailers, until I saw Rob Marshall's name and thought "Has he ever directed anything that's not a musical?  I bet this is one, too." (For the record, yes, he did. Pirates of the Carribean 4  and Memoirs of A Geisha)

Has anyone seen "Predestination" yet?  It's a closed loop time travel story so, by its very nature, it's absurd.  Still, I think it's worth a look.  It's certainly different from anything else you'll see.  I won't say much more about it yet; don't want to give anything away.

Just got home from Big Hero 6.

It was... ok... ish.

There were some parts that I really liked and some parts that I found terribly dull. I wish they had spent more time in the underground robot fighting scene. Felt lile there was alot more stuff they could have done.

That said it still knew how to hit me right in the feels -

Hiro saying goodbye to Baymax had me getting a little dusty. Even though it was obvious he was coming back it still got me haha

Not bad overall but Id have it behind a fair few of the other animated films in this genre.

Your goddaughter has not disappointed you, Brian Fowler.   My kid watched the Veronica Mars movie on HBO today and loved it.  She has now set her DVR at her mom's to tape the series on PIVOT.

• Like 3

Your goddaughter has not disappointed you, Brian Fowler.   My kid watched the Veronica Mars movie on HBO today and loved it.  She has now set her DVR at her mom's to tape the series on PIVOT.

#ParentingWin

Probably echoed by many in previous threads, I don't know, but while I've only seen maybe a dozen films in 2014, I seriously doubt anything else I see is going to even come close to Whiplash.  I have become so jaded and seen so many movies over the years, that it takes so much to really wow me.  But I was in absolute awe at how practically perfect everything about this movie is.  The first movie since maybe The Wrestler that when it was over, I wanted to watch it again.  Right then and there.