DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/2/15

victor

Looks like a pretty good show:

* Dark match: Naomi defeat Summer Rae.

* Dark match:Sin Cara defeat NXT star Tyler Breeze.

* Edge and Christian kick off SmackDown. Edge apologizes for what happened on RAW but Christian says they’re here to have fun. They’re interrupted on the big screen by Joey Mercury and Jamie Noble getting out of a limousine in the back. The Stooges walk to the ring with a folder from The Authority. It says Seth Rollins and Big Show are not responsible for what happened on RAW. It also says The Authority has sent Mercury and Noble to oversee Edge and Christian tonight. Edge announces Ryback vs. Big Show and Rusev vs. Roman Reigns.

* Bray Wyatt defeated Erick Rowan in a solid opening match. Wyatt won with Sister Abigail.

* Wyatt cut a promo after the match and said Dean Ambrose will pay the ultimate price in Monday’s Ambulance Match.

* Ryback vs. Big Show was a surprisingly good match with back and forth action. The Russian flag appears and out comes Rusev with Lana to distract, allowing Show to knock Ryback off the ropes. Show wins via count out. Rusev attacks Ryback after the match but Ryback clotheslines him out of the ring.

* Tyson Kidd and Cesaro used a new double team move off the ropes to defeat Los Matadores. The crowd was dead for most of the match.

* Dean Ambrose gets a big pop and comes out to face Curtis Axel. Ambrose attacks before the bell hits and the match doesn’t begin. Ambrose hits Dirty Deeds on Axel and cuts a promo on Bray Wyatt. Ambrose walks towards an ambulance but it drives off.

* The Ascension squashed two local wrestlers.

* The Usos and R-Truth defeated Stardust, Goldust and Adam Rose.

* Backstage segment with Edge and Christian drawing on pictures of Stephanie McMahon.

* Roman Reigns vs. Rusev ended when Big Show came to the ring and Reigns hit him with a Superman punch. The match ends in DQ as Reigns and Show brawl at ringside. Show goes for a spear but Reigns moves and Show flies over the announce table. Reigns turns the announce table over on Show to end SmackDown.

Steve Corino used to tease hitting with a chair, then put on a headlock and sit down on it. So there's that. And there's Sabu's tope suicida to a seated opponent.

Lie a ladder down flat in the ring. Whip your opponent to the ropes so they have to run along the length of the ladder, stepping in and out of the gaps between the rungs, like them tyres on an Assault Course. Then leapfrog them so they have to run back along it again a few times. They'll gas out really quickly.

• Like 1

Good to see they're keeping Reigns strong by not letting him actually win any damn matches.

you don't put Reigns over Rusev on Smackdown

Lie a ladder down flat in the ring. Whip your opponent to the ropes so they have to run along the length of the ladder, stepping in and out of the gaps between the rungs, like them tyres on an Assault Course. Then leapfrog them so they have to run back along it again a few times. They'll gas out really quickly.

whether or not Great Sasuke reads DVDVR, this is happening at Korakuen before the year's over

Good to see they're keeping Reigns strong by not letting him actually win any damn matches.

Of course not. I think the argument is you dont book a potential future ppv main event as a throwaway Smackdown match. Also if you want Reigns to be the man you book him like he is the man. Not against guys who you wont put him over, or going 50/50 with the beyond stale Big Show.

• Like 1

The problem with Reigns is that the former WWE formula of booking strong guys against jobbers is outdated and hasn't been used for 20 years. They built Cena up by having him be a streetwise punk who used any means to win. It wasn't until he was actually WWE Champion that he became SUPER CENA. 

Reigns is the first guy in a while that they've tried to build up as "SUPER DUPER OMG SUPER" before they actually get the belt. They don't really know how to build him up. He should be squashing dudes like Heath Slater in like 30 seconds flat. 

Unfortunately Heath Slater's unavailable at the moment...and they seem to be pushing Titus O'Neil for the moment so he's out.

Agreed that Reigns and Rusev seemed to work well together...would help Rusev to throw more suplexes.  They're probably going around the horn on the house shows as they're listed as facing each other on the upcoming St. Louis event.

Of course not. I think the argument is you dont book a potential future ppv main event as a throwaway Smackdown match. Also if you want Reigns to be the man you book him like he is the man. Not against guys who you wont put him over, or going 50/50 with the beyond stale Big Show.

I think putting these two against each other is fine. They get a TV match against each other with an inconsequential result, so Rusev keeps his streak and Reigns doesn't take a loss. At the same time, since they'll likely cross paths at some point in time, now there's a general sense of what a match with them will look like and how to tweak/improve whenever they get around to having their actual feud. It's not like they had this match the Friday before a PPV. They might not even ever feud.

And, actually, now I'm going to go and seek out this match on Smackdown, which I usually don't watch. I really like both these guys and want to see what they'll do against each other. No way would I do that for Reigns vs. Slater or Rusev vs. Kofi. Who knew that a fresh match-up between two burgeoning stars would peak someone's interest?

YOUR GRATUITOUS GRAMMAR PEDANTRY OF THE DAY~!

And, actually, now I'm going to go and seek out this match on Smackdown, which I usually don't watch. I really like both these guys and want to see what they'll do against each other. No way would I do that for Reigns vs. Slater or Rusev vs. Kofi. Who knew that a fresh match-up between two burgeoning stars would peak someone's interest?

EDIT: Access denied? What the bloody hell? It was at vocabulary dot com, anyway.

Unless you mean you'll never be as interested in anything ever, as much as you're interested in Rusev vs Reigns, you mean pique. And everyone reading this is probably in a fit of mild pique as well. 

• Like 1

YOUR GRATUITOUS GRAMMAR PEDANTRY OF THE DAY~!

EDIT: Access denied? What the bloody hell? It was at vocabulary dot com, anyway.

Unless you mean you'll never be as interested in anything ever, as much as you're interested in Rusev vs Reigns, you mean pique. And everyone reading this is probably in a fit of mild pique as well.

Doesn't matter which site it's from, posting links on this board is really tough. Especially from a phone.

I liked Rusev/Reigns but didn't care at the same time.  Hard to suspend disblief when you know neither of them are going to win clean.  I'm just beyond tired of DQ finishes, and it seems like it happens a ton on SD.  Rest of the show was fine.