DVDVR Message Board

The Photos What We Took of Us

Pete

Posted Image

We had a dinner for my class reunion over the weekend. My good friend here learned the hard way that he's no spring chicken anymore as about half the bar spent the evening getting their picture taken with him...like so.

P.S. This was taken at 10:30 in the evening, party started at 9. 

• Like 4

So an old pal of mine has been posting a ton of old pics of him, me and our friends from the late 80's.

Posted Image

Me, apparently shirtless and stoned with hair, 1987

Posted Image

Al, Me, and EJ in the WCVH radio studio after our show, 1987   :lol:

Posted Image

Me, Sandor, and Ziggy behind us, Christmas Eve 1987.

Posted Image

No, my youngest and I aren't possessed by Satan in this picture...I swear!

Friday after school, my oldest sweet-talked me into letting her have a sleepover. Well you cannot simply plan a 5-year-old sleepover "off the cuff" like you can with a 9-year-old...so little sister was stuck at home with Dad. She was pissed.  So I took her to see Cloudy 2 (and we dressed up because we do every time we go on a date night), and as we left the theatre, I was told this...

"I'm really glad I didn't go for a sleepover tonight, Daddy."

I don't always think I'm a good Dad, even though I know I'm doing better since my divorce...but Friday night was a fucking home run.

• Like 12

Spoilered for size but here we have a much younger version of myself getting a chance to hold the Stanley Cup.  This is from August 1994 when Mike Hartman, a fourth liner with the Rangers, got his day with the Cup and brought it a restaurant about an hour from my house in Michigan (he was from the Detroit area).  This photo has been buried and "lost" for a long time so it's great to find it again.  To say holding the Cup was a thrill for this hockey fan would be a major understatement:

Posted Image

• Like 2

Two of my best friends back home in Jersey, Bobby and Erin, who've been together forever and got married a few years back, just had their first child two weeks back.. She's an adorable little thing named Cassidy. She was premature, and just got home from the hospital. Bobby had her room waiting for her.

Posted Image

• Like 6

Marty, you don't know this, but I'm kind of going through the same domestic issues you are going through, and I always smile when I see your pix with your girls.  Men get a lot of bad rap about being "bad" fathers, and hopefully guys like you and me can continue to buck this stigma. 

• Like 2

I had a stranger a few weeks ago tell me that "clearly my heart was in the right place" as far as being a Dad is concerned. Before my divorce, I was a lazy Dad: it's embarrassing but I admit it, and I've gone out of my way to change that.  The night of my concussion, it's no secret that I could've died (I texted my ex at 4am asking her to tell my girls how much I loved them, as I was falling asleep...abandoned in my apartment), so I try to make every minute with them count.

Thanks for the kind words, MADCAP, and keep up the good work. There are indeed a lot of shitty Dads out there (both married, divorced, or just the "baby-daddy" variety), but it's nice to know there's several solid ones inhabiting the DVDVR board.

• Like 6

Cool story:  I took my daughter to McD's for dinner one night and while we're sitting there, I notice two other guys sitting with their daughters.  We all looked at each and gave each other a tacit nod, because....just because.  

• Like 3