DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Watching the Wargames DVD. After the first two matches, it's clear to me that Tully is my biggest disappointment from that era, in that he should be looked at as a fucking legend. His selling was magnificent and he had a dirty sort of realism to his offense. Drugs fucked this guy out of a long career, in my opinion.

Ray Traylor was pretty great in the Miami match, though you knew he was taking the job before the match even started. It was funny that he was billed as a monster, but, of course, Dusty got to body slam him.

Animal and Dusty seemed to just do the same spots in both matches, and Ellering essentially came in with the spike in both matches and ran around poking people in both matches. I felt Ellering, who I only really knew as a manager at that time at 13/14 years old, looked way too strong against the World Champion.

DVD is awesome so far.

- Miz is way better than people gave him any credit for. Everything he does looks really crisp, he oozes the kind of hatable charisma that got him a Main Event push and he's not looking out of place alongside your TV Match Jesus.

Quoted for truth. And he still is, though he should never be a face.

Watching the Macho Madness WWE set: the Steamboat/Savage match from Boston Garden (pre-Mania), is so good. I love how many damn times Savage uses that "fish knux out of my trunks, miss the roundhouse on the apron, only to clock the guy when he belly-to-back suplexes me in for the win" finish during 1985-86 in the fed.

- When does Santino start being funny?

I'm sure opinions differ on this one, but my answer is never.

I was never a huge Santino comedy fan, but I really loved the Christmas episode they did that was built around John Cena saving the WWE universe from dastardly Santino ruining Christmas for everyone. 

Watched some random ECW tonight on Netflix.

The Sandman vs. Sabu Stairway to Hell Match is probably my favorite bananas ECW brawl of all time. It really encapsulates the ECW Arena vibe I think: it's gritty, dirty and recklessly violent. It's like a relic of a bygone era but it's a load of fun to just watch these guys recklessly whack each other as if we didnt know about concussions and brain damage and shit yet.

Shane Douglas vs. Taz from Guilty as Charged '99 is very interesting. It's clearly someone's attempt at having an epic main event in the crash TV/ ECW/ Attitude era style. They throw everything against the wall - 10+ minutes of walk and talk brawling all over the building, some big bumps and Tazplexes, a surprise Sabu run-in with lights out effect and pyro (!), Chris & Tammy's return, etc. I think everyone's intentions were good, to launch Taz as champion with a huge, memorable main event, but it ends up more like a trip to Golden Corral where you walk away from the table so full that you didnt really enjoy it that much.

Credible & Storm vs. Jerry Lynn & RVD from Heatwave '99 is a really solidly worked tag match with a lot of good concepts. The effort and the thought were certainly there, it really looks like a lot of thought was put into things, like people's positioning for spots so one thing flows into another, plus neat random stuff like Storm's no hands leap up the turnbuckle to grab a chair and some nifty counters. I liked it a lot and I'm sure it was the best match on the show but it still didn't *feel* like a main event. It felt like ECW's version of Sting & Luger vs. the Steiners, but that didn't go last at Superbrawl either. I wonder if the show would have been better/worse/the same if this had gone semi main and the Dreamer retirement tease -> Corino interruption -> Francine attacks Corino -> Tajiri saves Corino -> Tajiri vs. Taz for the Title segment had closed the show. I liked the tag match but even though it was surely the best match on the show with the best workers in the company, it just didn't feel like a show closing match to me, if that makes sense..

I seem to remember reading that Taz and Douglas had a rematch after Guilty As Charged at the ECW Arena to try to "make up" for the PPV match. I get what they were doing but it seems kinda weird to actually say, "our first match wasn't good so we're gonna try again!"

DMC MIXTAPE VOL 2! http://jaedmc.blogspot.com/2013/08/dmc-mixtape-vol-2.html

The card

1. J-Crown Title: Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

2. Negro Casas, Averno, and Rey Escorpion vs. Blue Panther, Super Porky, and Rush

3. NWA Tag Title: Road Warriors vs. Midnight Express

4. Sting & Dr. Death vs. Terry Funk & Terry Gordy

5. WWF Title: Hulk Hogan vs. Greg Valentine

6. Vader vs. Z-Man(Vader's Debut in WCW)

7. NWA TItle: Ric Flair vs. Brett Sawyer

8. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Stan Hansen

9. G1 Final: Rick Rude vs. Masahiro Chono

So some random thoughts for discussion here:

Greg Valentine whipped Hogan's ass all over that ring, and the win was a fluke. Valentine's shoulder was up and Hogan looked like a chump.

Vader shouldn't have picked up his gear after it shot steam. Let some jabroni do it. Don't pick it up and look for some one to give it to so it's safe. It almost jacked up the aura... until he killed Z-Man. 

Wrestling needs more hate. Not just exhibitionist dancing where two guys just fit their shit in. Negro Casas and Rush get it.

I think Rick Rude has the best body in wrestling. There's guys today who can get cut up like him, but for some reason not a one of them look like they could kick someone's ass. Ziggler, for example, has a great body, but c'mon no one thinks he can beat anyone. It might be the mustache.

Terry Funk and Stan Hansen are the two best guys at looking like they're in a real fight. It's just messy, and it looks like they work on these crazy impulses that happen organically. 

I think Rick Rude has the best body in wrestling. There's guys today who can get cut up like him, but for some reason not a one of them look like they could kick someone's ass. Ziggler, for example, has a great body, but c'mon no one thinks he can beat anyone. It might be the mustache.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, JAE, IT'S AN UPPER BODY BUSINESS

• Like 1

Watching a lot of 88 WWF Primetime, which involves a lot of skipping through long jobber matches, but also lots of Blue Blazer matches, which are tremendous. Also, whenever Gorilla and Bobby aren't on commentary, it's a lethal mix of Sean Mooney, Lord Alfred Hayes, Rod Trongard, and Superstar Graham. It hurts.

Also working through a Best of the WWF 2001 comp. 

Rude does have the best body in pro wrestling history. Once he cut his hair short and got ridiculously lean and cut in WCW he looked like he could fuck up anyone's world. Rude may be the only guy who managed to mix the great body with also looking like a legitimate tough guy you wouldn't want to fuck with.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000004243 StartFragment:0000001658 EndFragment:0000004207

Watched some Kurisu because sometimes you want to watch some Kurisu

Riki Choshu, Kantaro Hoshino, Kuniaki Kobayashi, Kensuke Sasaki & Shiro Koshinaka vs Animal Hamaguchi, Super Strong Machine, Tatsutoshi Goto, Hiro Saito & Masanobu Kurisu NJPW 6/26/90

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12dy2v_6-26-1990-sekigun-vs-blond-outlaws-2-3-falls_sport

One of my favorite things in wrestling is your 80s NJ 10 man tags and while this is 2/3 falls rather then elimination style, it belongs in the conversation. It is strange that a match with this much star power is focused on Kurisu but he really is the star in this. He is such a nasty fucker, constantly running in and delivering vicious cheap shots, by then end of this match the crowd wants to see him murdered. Choshu is perfect for these kinds of matches too, as his style is made for hit and run stuff. Real hidden gem which folks will really enjoy, Kurisu had a monster 1990

Masanobu Kurisu v. Atsushi Onita FMW 12/2/90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEhOXwwzYwc

Really fun Onita death match, this had regular ropes but barbed wire boards on the floor, and they did a nice job working spots around holding on and avoiding the fall, they built it up nicely so when they do go into the wire it seems like a big deal. It’s Kurisu so the stiffness gets ramped up a couple of degrees, this is the nastiest I can remember Onita’s headbutts looking, and of course Kurisu is borderline unprofessional with his stomps and slaps. Doesn’t have the flash of the explosion matches, but the meat in this is just as good.

• Like 1

Heat Wave 98 for the first time. Im at Storm vs Candido so I was started watching but even with all the run ins Lynn-Credible was a very fun hard hitting match the Thats Incredible off the top rope was a sick spot.

I took a break but im right at the start of the Van Dam/Sabu tag match and its a really fun show alot of action alot of well timed action with a super hot crowd alot of fun and Goddamn Bubba cut one really great promo 

Rude does have the best body in pro wrestling history. Once he cut his hair short and got ridiculously lean and cut in WCW he looked like he could fuck up anyone's world. Rude may be the only guy who managed to mix the great body with also looking like a legitimate tough guy you wouldn't want to fuck with.

It doesn't hurt that Rude legit could fuck you up. There's a match on the Texas set where he gets annoyed with Bruiser Brody after some sloppy bodyslams and just fucking lays into him to the point where Brody is looking worried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMWc_axUCk

Enjoyed so many parts of this.  Bradshaw laying into Ace.  Kobashi trying to get a chop battle going with Bradshaw but Bradshaw doesn't get it so he just keeps kicking Kobashi in the face.  Kobashi finishing Bradshaw with a lariat.

Pre-JBL era Bradshaw is probably one my wrestling guilty pleasures.

The streetfight between Goto and Onita/Kurisu and Kendo Nagasaki in FMW was so fucking violent. I don't know who was more intense, Kurisu (who comes in dressed like an old man going to the Sizzler with tucked in plaid shirt and cowboy boots) or Nagasaki, who was just waffling people with no regard. I'm definately hitting up his matches when my net time rolls around end of the month. 

I have to second the love for the Stairway to Hell re-do. There's a great moment when Sandman had the halo of wire around his head, he leans back against the ropes covered in blood, and Joey just quietly says "oh my god" and you can tell the crowd is officially freaked out by all of it. The only other time I saw an ECW crowd act like that was Born to be Wired.

A also dig the fact that it ends with a simple cane shot to Sabu's jaw. Really underlined the pain of the brawl, with his injured jaw and (I think) broken fingers. And there is nothing simpler and more nasty than just being hit in the face with a cane by a drunken exhausted Sandman.

Rude always looked weird to me with those skinny legs. 

Oh. My. God.

I finally got around to a late '70s-early '80s Portland set and it's just amazing. It starts in '79 with Buddy Rose, Ed Wiskowski, Roddy Piper, and KILLER TIM BROOKS challenging babyfaces Adrian Adonis and Ron Starr to an 8-man elimination tag match. They then bring a wheelbarrow full of belts and show 'em off for the camera. Great segment. This is followed by the match itself and it goes for about 25 minutes, full of solid action with Piper bumping all over the place for the faces, before Wiskowski and Rose turn on Piper and Brooks following miscommunication during the match. Rose hits a backbreaker, holds and Wiskowski comes off the top with a knee to Brooks' head. This leads to a stretcher job. Fucking awesome!

Haha, Rose boasts that they broke Brooks' neck.

Buddy is so skinny at this point. I mean, he's pudgy but compared to what was to come.

Buddy was also the best wrestler in the world at that point.

Some guy uploaded a full New Jack City show from 97 which means I spent my day watching Reckless Youth, American Kickboxer and an awesome Bull Pain v. Ian Rotten barbed wire baseball bat bloodbath