DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I just watched the first WCW All Nighter. It was a really fun little set of matches. What was the story behind Turner putting it together to air? Promotions in Japan do specials like this for New Years, right? It'd be interesting for WWE to do this, considering all the content they have the rights to. I could even see it being used to promote the WWE Network (if it ever comes to exist) as a "Are you enjoying this program? Why not subscribe to the WWE Network and get content like this all the time?" type of deal.

EDIT: As soon as I hit "reply" I realized how stupid one aspect of my post would be. I'm sure USA wouldn't be too keen on giving WWE essentially a block of time to promote the Network. I could be wrong since I really haven't kept up with the news to see how USA views the Network but I wouldn't think they'd want to promote it too much.

Still with WWE in 2007 and coming up to Backlash. Some general thoughts:

EDIT:

Doh, forgot my list of matches that you should check out:

PPV:

John Cena vs. Umaga - New Year's Revolution

Hardys vs. MNM - Royal Rumble

John Cena vs. Umaga - Royal Rumble

John Cena and Shawn Michaels vs. Batista and Undertaker - No Way Out

Chris Benoit vs. MVP - Mania 23

The Undertaker vs. Batista - Mania 23

John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - Mania 23

Surprised you haven't mentioned the 2007 Royal Rumble match which is one of the best Royal Rumble matches ever and has the best finishing stretch in the history of the match between The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels had great chemistry with one another.

Always felt The Undertaker vs. Batista was the Match of the Night at WrestleMania 23. Even before it happened, I said it would turn out well and should have gone on last.

since early March/late February, i've been watching WCW Nitro 1996 on Monday Nights instead of following Raw (which i fell out of love with years ago). The dates line up perfectly (i.e. i watched 7/22/96 on Monday, 7/22/13). i am watching them at 7pm SHARP, right when they aired live, and i'm having an absolute blast. It has actually rekindled my love of wrestling that died out over the last few years. Most weeks i also catch WCW Saturday Night, although i watch that at some point over the weekend, and don't adhere so strictly to the start time.

i'm planning on starting up the Monday Night Wars the night after 'Mania 13 and watching both shows every week. I know that 7-8 months away, and who knows what will happen, but i honestly can't think of a better way to spend my Monday Nights.

I sat down with a couple of beers last night and watched the entire hour-plus of Antonio Inoki vs. Billy Robinson. It can be quite the task to watch a match that goes a literal broadway, not just 30, but these two made it work. Smooth-as-shit matwork all the way with a bunch of crazy counters building to sudden bursts of rope-running and '70s highspots. The first time they decided to sprint I didn't buy it, but as they brought that element in multiple times in the match, I started to. Of course they're building to the butterfly suplex vs. the Cobra Twist, both get airtime for big pops. Inoki could really go when he was in with an opponent he respected and would sell for unlike much of what's on the '80s NJPW set. Then again if he wanted to fuck with Billy, Billy would just pull his eyeball out or snap multiple limbs, so there's that factor to consider.

That is not only the best Inoki match I've ever seen (the one vs Vader doesn't count that was just seeing a crazy old man get the shit kicked out of him) and the best 1 hour draw I've ever seen. I'd put that match up against any of Flair's broadways. It's enthralling from bell to bell and is one my all-time favorite matches.

That is not only the best Inoki match I've ever seen (the one vs Vader doesn't count that was just seeing a crazy old man get the shit kicked out of him) and the best 1 hour draw I've ever seen. I'd put that match up against any of Flair's broadways. It's enthralling from bell to bell and is one my all-time favorite matches.

Have you seen Hennig vs Bockwinkel?

I really think the actual Rumble from '07 is way overrated.  The final four, and especially the end segment with HBK and Taker is amazing, but the 45-50 minutes before that is really fucking dull.  The ring just fills up and stays that way forever.  I mean, I was happy to see Khali come out, because at least I knew he'd toss some dudes.

Watching some DDP from 96 into 97 to see when exactly he started to get popular.  The Diamond Cutter is definitely more over than he is but I noticed he started doing more promos where he's just talking instead of doing the over-the-top Diamond Dallas Page shtick.  I picked the start of the nWo storyline where they're interfering in his matches and trying to recruit him.  It doesn't really feel like that big of a deal in late '96 but it's establishing DDP as a "real person."  By Starrcade, he's getting some DDP chants and it's obvious he's in need of a big babyface push.

I watched the angle where he rejects the nWo and beats up Hall & Nash.  That's definitely what the people wanted and the Savage feud cements him as a top guy. 

BTW, this might be sacrilege to say as a wrestling fan but Mean Gene was annoying the shit out of me in a lot of these interview segments.  It's not always about you, Gene.  :P

Had pretty much a full day off from everything today so spent it watching ROH's A Night of Hoopla and some '87 NWA.

I loved the Night of Hoopla concept and the first hour or so is awesome. Adam Cole, Eddie Edwards and Matt Taven have a really fun three way with everyone having a blast abusing Taven until he squeaks by with a win. Perfectly set the pace for the night. Then Jimmy Jacobs sings The Ballad of Lacey and a new song called Gypsy Soul that was actually really good. Delirious and Jay Lethal re-create WrestleMania VII with Lethal as Macho King and Delirious as Ultimate Warrior. Some portions are literally hold for hold and movement for movement recreations. This one is maybe a little long but still really fun. Davey Richards dances and works with Silas Young and it isn't bad. The first half of the show is an easy thumbs up but the show seems to lose its footing in its second half with Roderick Strong and a trainee vs. Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish, a really weird segment where Truth Martini interviews Satan and a six person tag with MsChif/Michael Elgin/BJ Whitmer vs. Tadarious Thomas/ACH/Athena. Really strong effort from everyone in the six man. Even if they arent 100% in sync the whole time it's still fun and easy to watch. Freaking awesome spot for the finish as MsChif kisses Elgin, who then spits green mist at Thomas and creams him with two power bombs. The real star of the show is Truth Martini's valet Scarlett Bourdeaux who is legit beautiful AND has a ton of presence. She dances, sings the National Anthem (sorta), gyrates, valets for Taven at ringside and does like half a dozen other things on the show. The camera loves her, she seems enthusiastic and excited to be there and she never looks lost out there. She is pretty much perfect in every role. Overall I'd say it's a fun show with a definite different-from-normal ROH vibe.

The '87 NWA TV had three major angles: the awesome Ron Garvin fireball angle that lead to Jimmy Garvin's babyface turn. Absolutely one of my favorite moments as a kid. Also saw the Rock N Roll Express under masks as the Texas Cowboys doing the bit where the babyfaces surprise the heels who are expecting TV jobbers. Also saw the Hiro Matsuda/Johnny Weaver angle which was prety much traumatic for me as a four year old. Matsuda was terrifying putting the dreaded Japanese sleeper on referee Tommy Young and retired wrestler Johnny Weaver, who spat up blood and had awesome facials. Really cool kayfabey stuff that'd never work today but was awesome to see back then.

I really think the actual Rumble from '07 is way overrated.  The final four, and especially the end segment with HBK and Taker is amazing, but the 45-50 minutes before that is really fucking dull.  The ring just fills up and stays that way forever.  I mean, I was happy to see Khali come out, because at least I knew he'd toss some dudes.

Yeah, I agree. The finishing stretch is good but I feel it's the only thing people remember because the rest is unremarkable.

• Like 1

Watched some '84 Memphis last night, particularly two matches featuring Rock n' Roll Express vs. Bruise Brothers.  I wish I knew the lead up to these matches, but I'm assuming that they stemmed from the Bruise Brothers attacking ref Paul Morton(Ricky's dad).  The first match is good just for the beating the Dream Machine took in the first couple minutes of the bout and the run-in by the Fabs as they just beat the dog shit out of Jim Cornette.  The second match was okay, but the heat after the end of the 2nd match, where the BB's beat up Paul Morton and jump out of the ring to escape Ricky, only for them to jump right into a rowdy fans and the ensuing 5 second fight was tremendous.  I wish I had lived in Memphis back in the day.  Those matches at the Mid-South Coliseum are great.  Oh, Porkchop Cash has a great 2nd rope kneedrop.  

I've been watching the 84 Memphis TV. The Death of the Bruise Brothers thing was probably my favorite thing ever. The only thing better was JJ Dillon. I e-mailed him to ask him about that and this is what he said back:

--

Matt:

I just remember that the Memphis TV show was extremely popular and one of the best TV wrestling programs in the industry for many years, and it was live.

I had developed a following due to the taped interviews that I had been recording to air in the Memphis show for several months.  My first live appearance I was given carte blanche to have fun and to basically take over the TV hour.  I was given the royal treatment and it was an honor to appear on that show.  Apparently that appearance had a positive impact as I was invited back.  Eddie Graham in Florida worked it out with Jarrett and Lawler to free me to make some dates in the Memphis territory.  I had a great time ... we drew well and the program with Jimmy Hart gave him a fresh new storyline as Jimmy had been a regular in that territory and feuded with Lawler for years.  Great memories for me and pleased that you enjoyed the interviews some thirty years later.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

"J. J."

-----

Also JJ is awesome for answering random e-mails.

• Like 2

I found that I have Mav TV on directv and have dvred Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. First two shows were the Red Carpet Rumble for the Heritage title. Last night watched a show that highlighted Scorpio Sky and the International TV title. I was only familiar with the promotion because they have an edition in the Filsinger Games card game universe.

A friend just sent me Prince Devitt vs. Alex Shelley from BOSJ and goddamn it's some beautiful pro wrestling. Bullet Club are fucking awesome and assist Devitt in abusing Shelley until a huge brawl at ringside clears everyone out. The brawl is SUCH a cool spectacle and Bullet Club look way more bad ass than any other group in wrestling currently. Then once they get kicked out Shelley starts making a comeback and they just tear the house down with a ton of close nearfalls and Shelley kicking out of everything under the sun once Devitt takes back over. Really beautiful match, definitely the most I have ever enjoyed an Alex Shelley bout, he was on point. And Devitt pretty much has it all.

i'm planning on starting up the Monday Night Wars the night after 'Mania 13 and watching both shows every week. I know that 7-8 months away, and who knows what will happen, but i honestly can't think of a better way to spend my Monday Nights.

You should pick up Raw a little bit before then (maybe February or so of '97). The Austin rise, Bret's slow turn, Shawn losing his smile... it's a surreal run of TV. 

• Like 1

Dusty Rhodes Jerry Lawler & Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard Arn & Ole Anderson in a Bunkhouse match from Memphis circa 1985

I had wanted to see that match for years, and when I finally did it was a disappointment. Mainly because of Ole totally sandbagging Lawler. 

The short length and camera angle do the match no justice but I thought it was a fun little brawl with a super hot crowd. If I ever start wrestling and was ever in a street fight I'd dress like Dusty would for Bunkhouse matches he just looked like a man who was looking for a fight.

You should pick up Raw a little bit before then (maybe February or so of '97). The Austin rise, Bret's slow turn, Shawn losing his smile... it's a surreal run of TV. 

thanks for the head's up, maybe i'll kick it off around the turn of the year. that gives me a reason to watch the 'mania build as well.

Been watching WCW from 2001 recently. Thus far I've watched every Nitro, Thunder, and PPV through March 5. Found some decent stuff in there but there's a lot of garbage. Really been enjoying the cruiserweight resurgence and the tournament for the cruiserweight tag titles. 

Still on WWE 2007, having just finished One Night Stand. Some more general thoughts:

- The Cena/Khali series holds up amazingly well with Cena's selling being the highlight. Khali's offense always looked really shaky against Taker but Cena has the luxury of being a lot smaller and being able to sell it like he's getting whiplash every time. The Judgment Day match is an easy match to put forward to people who say he can't work as his selling is awesome, his timing is masterful and he's clearly calling it from the start. Next up, it's the Lashley stuff and the Orton series and man, is this John Cena's year.

- Orton has been getting a lot better now that's he punting people. He's just finished off Shawn Michaels at Judgment Day and it's hilarious that Orton sells chops better than HBK does a concussion. Orton/RVD had a couple of good matches and it seems that they've always matched up well.

- The Lashley/Vince stuff really did drag on for too long, in hindsight. This is right before Crazy Vince, which if you're keeping your timeline straight, is do-rag wearing ECW World Champion Vince which is obviously great. And don't they put the belt on Lashley only to strip him of it when he goes to Raw? Talk about booking into a corner.

- The Hardys and Cade and Murdoch have wrestled a few times and each time, it's been southern tag glory. The match at Judgment Day starts slowly but gets really stiff and nasty around the time Matt Hardy gives Cade the roughest forearm ever so Cade responds by kicking him right in the face when they're in the corner. C+M's whole respect angle is a nice touch too but I wish we hadn't seen WGTT get involved. Somewhere between 2002 and 2007, those guys regressed so much.

- When does Santino start being funny? I mean, it's unintentionally funny how little they do with him after winning the IC title, aside from putting him in matches with Chris Masters that he flukes his way through but did they really not have any sort of plan for his gimmick after "fan wins the title"?

- ECW continues to be baffling in its inconsistency. Burke, still remains entertaining in a very green way but there was a match with Punk just before ONS that is great. It's No DQ, the two of them really lay the strikes in and it ends with a nasty looking pounce through a table in the corner. Punk isn't quite there yet in terms of knowing how to put on good WWE TV matches but I remember it clicking when Nitro/Morrison comes over.

- Snitsky is actively the worst wrestler in the company at this point, goddamn. There's not a lot more to say except I've never seen a 6 foot 8 man look less threatening. His big boot is slightly devalued as a finish when at least 3 guys on Smackdown throw a better one.

- Matt Striker is embroiled in a mini-feud with The Major Brothers and I can't wait to see what happens next!

- Edge is now World Champion and I'm reminded why that guy really annoys me. He's what WWE thinks cool people look like, his facial expressions are embarrassing and unless he's resting on a gimmick match, his matches do nothing for me at all. Edge/Batista in a cage was about as bland as a cage match can be and for a guy that seemed to be in 100 cage matches, was Batista ever in a good one?

- Matt Hardy is your TV match Jesus.

- Miz is way better than people gave him any credit for. Everything he does looks really crisp, he oozes the kind of hatable charisma that got him a Main Event push and he's not looking out of place alongside your TV Match Jesus.

- The team of Dave Taylor and William Regal will be sadly missed as they clearly love kicking Brian Kendrick in the face, Kendrick clearly loves selling it and I love watching it. Deuce and Domino remain a pleasure because of their sweet, sweet music but the backstage promo where it appears they're actually supposed to be from the 1950s and have arrived in WWE via a time machine was awful.

- Mark Henry has just returned and they appear to think he should be wrestling other big guys. Henry/Kane has never been a good match-up but Henry/Hardy would be. I think I might make ECW 2008 my next watch so I can experience that again.

Anyway, after doing some rewatching, here's some matches that I enjoyed that I think are worth a look:

Jeff Hardy vs. Johnny Nitro – 7/1 New Year's Revolution

John Cena vs. Umaga - New Year's Revolution
Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs. Regal and Taylor – 16/1 Smackdown
Chavo Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit - 16/1 Smackdown
Hardys vs. MNM - Royal Rumble
John Cena vs. Umaga - Royal Rumble
Batista, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and John Cena vs Randy Orton, Edge, MVP and Mr. Kennedy – 15/2 Raw
John Cena and Shawn Michaels vs. Batista and Undertaker - No Way Out
Matt Hardy vs. Joey Mercury – 2/3 Smackdown
Finlay vs. Undertaker - 6/3 Smackdown
Matt Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy - 13/3 Smackdown
John Cena vs Chris Benoit – 19/3 Raw
Chris Benoit vs. MVP - Mania 23
The Undertaker vs. Batista - Mania 23
John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - Mania 23
Money in the Bank – Mania 23
New Breed vs. ECW Originals - 3/4 ECW
Chris Benoit vs. MVP - 10/4 Smackdown
Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena - 23/4 Raw