DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I remember Angle doing that moonsault off the cage in the first ten minutes of the match and my mind immediately checked out. I said "that should have been at the end you idiots" and thought it was the dumbest thing I ever saw in wrestling... until Davey Richards came along, I guess. 

In stark contrast I thought his match with Benoit at the Rumble was one of the best matches I ever saw. Doubt I'll ever watch it again but I have to say, that one had an impact on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5474exqew

1) gotta like WCW's ability to put their shows in unique settings from time to time, although they typically didn't charge admission for those events.

2) I'm guessing the Ultimate Fighter being rumored to have WCW interest in May 1995 was Shamrock? Bischoff emphasized the word "challenger"

2b) Bischoff also namedropped K1

3) The point about Col Rob Parker being taller than his charges has been made repeatedly, right?

1) gotta like WCW's ability to put their shows in unique settings from time to time, although they typically didn't charge admission for those events.

2) I'm guessing the Ultimate Fighter being rumored to have WCW interest in May 1995 was Shamrock? Bischoff emphasized the word "challenger"

3) The point about Col Rob Parker being taller than his charges has been made repeatedly, right?

Because everyone knows that if you're taller than someone, you're clearly tougher as well.

Because everyone knows that if you're taller than someone, you're clearly tougher as well.

It's even clearer when the shorter person is MENG

• Like 1

I think the Parker thing came up the most with Sid and Parker. Although it may have come up a few times when Ernie Ladd was managing people.

Aja Kong & Mayumi Ozaki vs. Meiko Satomura & Sonoko Kato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlaEhIY31q4

My favorite GAEA match ever.  I had the whole 4/4 show on tape, but I lost it.  Anyway, I believe this is Satomura's first pinfall victory over Kong, and Aja is PISSED about it, as she tries to murder Satomura after the match.  Watch for the great wrestling, stay for the audiences pop at the pinfall.

I think the Parker thing came up the most with Sid and Parker. Although it may have come up a few times when Ernie Ladd was managing people.

I remember this argument coming up when Russo was a character in WCW. Out of all the things to criticize WCW about at the time, I couldn't believe that was what people were complaining about.

I always found silly and not realistic, as most people understand that being tall doesn't make someone tough necessarily.

Watching some Continental from '88. With the amount of Portland now on YouTube, this is the last major territory I'm totally unfamiliar with. This is the show with the black eye angle with Tom Pritchard and DWB. Holy shit. I'd read about this, but hasn't seen it. Such a hot, chaotic angle.

Funny promo w/ Eddie Gilbert as well. Solid accuses him of throwing fire at Lawler, but Gilbert denies it and talks about how King just caught on fire during the match.

This show has been fantastic and I want to see more. How much of their TV is out there? Who was booking at this point? Gilbert?

I stumbled across Joey Ryan's promo that followed this match, didn't know there was even any of this thing online and it seems this is all there is - apart from that "Underground" thing with the sound effects. At least that didn't look like it had been filmed by a cartload of chimps. Interesting though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKGoWyj54I

After that, a decent match on a steady fancam is just the most soothing thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6KYCZOhZEQ

I reviewed USWA Memphis TV 1/9/1993 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/us...993-review.html

Some shots from the show:
i.gif
f.gif
12-4-2013%2011-07-09%20AM.jpg
12-4-2013%2010-30-14%20AM.jpg

Overall thoughts: This was a fantastic episode of Memphis Wrestling, probably my second favorite next to the Steve Keirn spaz out episode. Everyone was so good here on the mic and their performances were unreal. Lauren Davenport was absolutely awesome and made the show great. I loved her angle and how she tried to play everyone to get her bidding done and finally succeeded. Bert Prentice, Mike Samples and The Bruise Brothers were also very good with their roles and honestly, this episode felt like it transcended wrestling in some ways. Some of these angles and acting are basically what wrestling is trying to do now and honestly isn't even coming close to. Everything here felt real and everyone was really vicious. It was almost like a wrestling version of the Jerry Springer show with people being accused of sex changes, women beating, cat fights and more. There's no way some of this stuff was scripted and that's what put this show on a whole different level. This is Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones' quality level of stuff and this is some of Memphis wrestling at its best. This is really a must see. Don't miss this.

I reviewed USWA TV 2/6/1993 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/us...-tv-261993.html

Overall thoughts: Pretty good show. Doink was really good and entertaining and really provided a different feel to the show. I wasn't sure how he would fit in but he was at his best here. He put forth a great performance in the main event and stretched his opponents like he was Billy Robinson. He made the show here and made this one a good one.

Some shots from the show:
n.gif
l.gif
12-8-2013%2010-03-24%20PM.jpg
12-8-2013%2010-16-42%20PM.jpg

I've also been watching some Memphis lately but from 1994. I'm up to May 1994 and it's very tag team heavy with the Eliminators, Rotten Brothers and Spiders(Headbangers) all in. The tag champs were Brian Christopher and Eddie Gilbert and they were feuding with Doug Gilbert who manages the Eliminators. The main feud in the area was Jerry Lawler vs Dream Machine. It's a shame Dream Machine wasn't around during the attitude era cause he's like Austin mixed with Dusty Rhodes mixed with Chris Colt. Great talker that could brawl with the best of them. Jimmy Hart brought in Dream Machine to help Lawler but of course, he turned on him and Brian. Adam Bomb and Dream Machine is the most War tag team in Memphis in the 90's. Well that and Road Warrior Hawk/Bart Gunn/Giant Silva in 1998 Power Pro wrestling.

I've also been watching some Memphis lately but from 1994. I'm up to May 1994 and it's very tag team heavy with the Eliminators, Rotten Brothers and Spiders(Headbangers) all in. The tag champs were Brian Christopher and Eddie Gilbert and they were feuding with Doug Gilbert who manages the Eliminators. The main feud in the area was Jerry Lawler vs Dream Machine. It's a shame Dream Machine wasn't around during the attitude era cause he's like Austin mixed with Dusty Rhodes mixed with Chris Colt. Great talker that could brawl with the best of them. Jimmy Hart brought in Dream Machine to help Lawler but of course, he turned on him and Brian. Adam Bomb and Dream Machine is the most War tag team in Memphis in the 90's. Well that and Road Warrior Hawk/Bart Gunn/Giant Silva in 1998 Power Pro wrestling.

Would love to hear more thoughts about Memphis 1994 if you feel like it! I haven't seen much but a few minutes of the Eliminators debut.

Watching the World Class dvd and I never realized just how sad it was for them to trot Mike out there after his accident. I didn't watch much WCCW growing up and I was pretty young so I didn't know just how bad off that guy was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RlENkohb6o

come for the squashes, stay for the two heel color commentators (Heenan and Lawler)/one face PBP guy booth (this was Lawler's 2nd episode of WWF TV, so I suspect it took a few shows for Lawler to figure out how to split time with Heenan, and Lawler was a bit literal for King stuff at first because this is 90s WWF)

i'm sure with all the WWF B-Shows and syndicated TV... they've had their share of two heels/one face booths. Someone can mention how long they kept Vince/Heenan/Lawler as a booth, can't imagine it lasted long into 1993.

I'd take "Don't give a fuck" Heenan over shitty Lawler for some reason. Maybe because it's easy to figure out why Heenan's commentary declined in WCW while Lawler's decline is a bit harder to pin down (although a lot of it is that Lawler has been on Raw for pretty much all of 12 consecutive years and he's stale)

Also, I saw the Prime Time Wrestling episode where Perfect became Savage's partner and then the Perfect/Flair loser-leaves WWF match for the first time (hey, I became a fan in 1997).. and kudos to Rob Bartlett for not saying anything for most of the match. As for the build to the turn, Hall.. then Flair.. then Heenan instigating Perfect towards accepting Savage's offer was amazing

Edit: Love that one commercial break was left intact. So the original source of this video is Wausau, Wisconsin of all places.

I have a new favourite tag team - skip to the 22 minute mark to witness the debut of HAMMER & SICKLE, this is followed by Samuray del Sol vs Ilya Malkin, which is pretty cool too.

This seems to be their first match, it's everything I'd hoped. It's the first match on the video.

Part 1 of the show the first video is from has a great looking hoss team of Alexei Schukin and Vulkan, who sadly break up at the end. They look exactly as I would expect a badass Russian tag team to look. Volkan is a total beast, and you just have to hear the announcer say "clothesline from hell". Match starts after the 45 minute mark.

Old, pot-bellied, pointy moobed shitkicker wrestling in Denmark is the best possible Tatanka we could have isn't it? I hope the advertised cage match shows up soon.

Also from the same company, but unlisted on youtube for some reason - Chris Masters vs Nikita Charisma, who has a nice line in stalling and winding up kids in the audience.

I have a new favourite tag team - skip to the 22 minute mark to witness the debut of HAMMER & SICKLE, this is followed by Samuray del Sol vs Ilya Malkin, which is pretty cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFtAfwYdL8

This seems to be their first match, it's everything I'd hoped. It's the first match on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5Dhbdp0tU

So that's what happened to the Ding Dongs..  I'd been wondering....