DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Watched WrestleMania XXVI & Extreme Rules 2010 yesterday while babysitting a 3 month old. It reminded me how awesome Batista was during his last run.

DUCT TAPE?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

"You can go round kissing babies and hugging fat girls" That heel run from turning on Rey in awesome roid rage to going out in perfect heel anger whilst wheelchair bound was incredible. If he ever comes back, he needs to pick up exactly where he left off.

• Like 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15lyjp_adam-bomb-vs-john-paul_sport

Adam Bomb vs John Paul from early 1994. This aired on USWA tv to set up a Adam Bomb vs Jerry Lawler unified title match. The best thing about this is Vince Mcmahon is doing commentary as a heel with babyface Jerry Lawler. Vince was sending in guys to take over USWA at the time. I'm guessing this was the first time Vince did heel commentary.

Put in a random coliseum video tonight, was treated to Men on a Mission against Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart; Stan Lane and Gorilla on commentary, Gorilla had an odd habit of calling Owen "Rocket King" and Jim "Evil Anvil", then Stan called Mabel "mo" through the whole hot tag. These tapes are worth it alone for then the commentators don't care. 

• Like 1

I'm watching a Prime Time Wrestling from April of 1987.  Buried at the end is a match from Boston Garden between Judy Martin and Desiree Peterson.  I go into this thing thinking, WTF, this is the best they can do to kill some time in the post-Wrestlemania dead period they always had?  I really considered fast-forwarding, but I decided to stick it out, and HOLY-SHIT was I glad that I did.  This match might be one of the best sleeper gems I've ever come across.  No hyperbole.

First of all, Judy Martin beats the living hell out of poor Desiree in this match.  It was brutal.  Then, Judy pulls out of a damn POWER BOMB.  This match is probably early to mid 1985ish.  Gorilla and Okerlund were on commentary.  Then, Martin takes Peterson and throws her through the ropes HARD and she lands on Okerlund, who oversells it a bit.  Peterson back in the ring, and Martin throws her HARDER onto Monsoon, who ends up carrying Martin and putting her back in the ring.  Meanwhile, Martin pulls off that old "make a wish" move when she's holding Peterson's legs with Desiree's back on the mat, and Martin kicks her in the vagina.  The crowd is stunned, and Gorilla and Okerlund call for the bell.

If this wasn't good enough, the trainwreck goes outside where Martin throws Peterson into the rabid Boston Garden crowd,  over the fucking railing, and then pulls her up and launches her back over the railing towards the ring, where Desiree looks like she busts a kidney.

Some more ass whipping inside, and then out of nowhere Desiree ducks a clothesline and pulls out a cross body for the surprise pin.  Crowd goes apeshit.

Really, really fun match that surprised the hell out of me.  Enjoy and thank me later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWPbZAB6xH0

• Like 2

I'm up to the first loss on the Goldberg set and so far, I've probably seen 3 pretty solid matches.  First was the Sting match where Sting was getting visibly frustrated after Goldberg kept no-selling his stuff.  Goldberg was really booked as an unstoppable force by the end of this match.  The emotion on Sting's face told the whole story and put over Goldberg good.  Too bad good ol' Hulk came in and cost Sting the match, even though it was a decent way to protect Sting.

Second was the DDP match which was phenomenal and the best Goldberg match so far.  DDP really wanted to take down Goldberg and he gave him everything he had including the diamond cutter.  No run-ins on this and just a clean story of DDP trying to be the first guy to beat the beast.

The Nash match was decent until the overbooked finish even though Goldberg took a lot more offense than his previous matches.  Unlike others, I don't mind the cattle prod idea.  I think it makes it seem that the only way Nash could win was to do that but of course the announcers didn't stress that thought at all.  I could see the reasoning behind keeping the streak going at this point though.  Also, the fact that the loss could have easily made someone new although I'm not sure who in WCW had momentum at this point to be taken serious against Goldberg. 

After watching this stuff plus old Nitros, I'm really sick and tired of both Nash and Hogan.  It's been said before but they're both self-serving and in business for only themselves and it's evident from the booking from 94-98. 

Stumbled across a bunch (and I mean, A BUNCH) of old Memphis TV on YouTube. Complete episodes. Started off with a November 1978 episode in which Jimmy Valiant tagged with a young, blond, baby Wayne Farris, debuted his new music video and then turned heel. All in the same episode. Highly entertaining.

I've been watching loads of Mikey Whiplash matches, the guy is fantastic. Here he is putting his title up against the career of SWA hefty super face John The Bomb, who's not as great but they both work a pretty engrossing match together. The crowd helps too, by the time they get back into the ring those kids are ALL IN for big John - the two wee boys hugging after a nearfall is priceless. Time well spent.

Also - shittiest looking ring ever? Sweet match though. Fun fact: Chad Collyer loses both the semi-finals that lead to this match(his "Crybaby Collyer" routine is good fun). Starts after the five minute mark.

Just watched Hogan vs. Honky from the summer of 1989 Saturday Night's Main Event.  I was 16 at the time and as a Hogan hater was certain that Honky was going to win here so that he could lose the title to the recently signed Dusty Rhodes at Summer Slam (the Honky-Dusty match had already been announced).  I just figured Dusty was promised a run with the belt when he signed.  This match is one of my least favorite wrestling memories.  

To add insult to injury, this is the same SNME where the Brainbusters beat Demolition for the tag titles and then the Busters match with the Hart Foundation at Summer Slam was declared a non-title match since it was signed before they won the titles.  It was like someone saying to me, "see, the Dusty match wouldn't have even been for the title anyway, jerk".

I'm watching a Prime Time Wrestling from April of 1987.  Buried at the end is a match from Boston Garden between Judy Martin and Desiree Peterson.  I go into this thing thinking, WTF, this is the best they can do to kill some time in the post-Wrestlemania dead period they always had?  I really considered fast-forwarding, but I decided to stick it out, and HOLY-SHIT was I glad that I did.  This match might be one of the best sleeper gems I've ever come across.  No hyperbole.

First of all, Judy Martin beats the living hell out of poor Desiree in this match.  It was brutal.  Then, Judy pulls out of a damn POWER BOMB.  This match is probably early to mid 1985ish.  Gorilla and Okerlund were on commentary.  Then, Martin takes Peterson and throws her through the ropes HARD and she lands on Okerlund, who oversells it a bit.  Peterson back in the ring, and Martin throws her HARDER onto Monsoon, who ends up carrying Martin and putting her back in the ring.  Meanwhile, Martin pulls off that old "make a wish" move when she's holding Peterson's legs with Desiree's back on the mat, and Martin kicks her in the vagina.  The crowd is stunned, and Gorilla and Okerlund call for the bell.

If this wasn't good enough, the trainwreck goes outside where Martin throws Peterson into the rabid Boston Garden crowd,  over the fucking railing, and then pulls her up and launches her back over the railing towards the ring, where Desiree looks like she busts a kidney.

Some more ass whipping inside, and then out of nowhere Desiree ducks a clothesline and pulls out a cross body for the surprise pin.  Crowd goes apeshit.

Really, really fun match that surprised the hell out of me.  Enjoy and thank me later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWPbZAB6xH0

I rewatched the Royal Rumble 88 Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels match recently and I came out of that thinking that Martin was easily the best wrestler out of the four, easily. 

Daichi Hashimoto goes to Hong Kong where he plays heel Muta against the skinny local favourite.

These Zero1 affiliates are hit or miss - Hong Kong and one of the U.S. ones aren't bad, Australia and Scotland are pretty good in general, Mexico seems terrible and the Belarus one features a tubby dude named Yashka the Gypsy, but doesn't have much else going for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just plowed through disc 2 of the Legends of Mid-South Wrestling set. 

First off we get some angles with JYD and Butch Reed where the Dog first gets white paint dumped on him, then in Memphis gets tarred and feathered in front of an apologetic Lance Russell. Two incredibly racial bits that you could never do today; JYD even says Reed is from the woodpile. Honestly I'm not one for watching JYD at all except in a total brawl and luckily that's what we get with the Ghetto Street Fight. Pretty vicious with some mean piledrivers and belt action, then a ref bump and screwjob finish involving Ernie Ladd and another guy. Ehhh.

I have to admit I've never seen a Midnights/Rock and Roll match before. Yeah, that's pretty crazy. There's two on here back to back, with the first being No DQ, $50,000 and titles on the line that hit #61 on the DVDVR ballot, and the other having Jim Cornette (wearing a mask due to being cueballed) being straight-jacketed and lifted up to the ceiling in a telephone crane! The work here is exactly what I've always heard: heels cutting off the ring, Morton being beaten on, hot tag. They cut a great pace and the selling is off the chain. Cornette also has the best explanation for using the chemical-soaked rag in the first match -- he just wanted to disinfect Bobby's cut forehead! Ha.

Next is a job match between Shawn Michaels and Ted DiBiase, which a nice little interview with Shawn talking about Teddy teaching him psychology. He gives Shawn three roll-ups on him and it makes the crowd believe he might just pull off the upset. Of course he gets soundly thrashed to boot. 

Finally we got Terry Taylor telling an AWESOME story about his Superdome show against Ric Flair. Flair comes in late and barely able to walk, totally hungover/still trashed from the night before. Terry is pissed. Flair says give him an hour and a cup of coffee, Terry gets madder. Ric follows Terry out and he's immaculate and ready to go; he blows up Terry and they go 40 minutes. Then Flair goes back to Bourbon Street that night. Terry says "he's not from planet Earth". A blown up Terry sits "in the iron lung catching my breath" while Flair is partying again. The way Taylor tells this story is so engaging and hilarious. 

The match itself is what you know it to be. NWA touring champion broadway making the local face look good. It's pretty epic, lots of really fast work at the beginning, incredible heat from the 25,000 people in the stadium, Flair surprisingly doesn't get chippy and cheat-y until halfway through. Terry is more than capable trying to wrench Flair's head off and going chop for chop with him. Reminded me of his broadway with a young Barry Windham. This one's #16 on the ballot for a reason. 

Recommended for the Flair match alone. There's other really great stuff on the set too that blows this disc out of the water.

• Like 1

One other thing I have to say: whoever was bitching on here about the new Jim Ross commentary for the silent matches is ridiculous. How the hell can you complain about that?! He does a fantastic job, especially on the Flair/Taylor match where he adds lots of psychological explanation, an anecdote about a Thesz/Hodge match that fits into the story, an acknowledgement that he shouldn't be biased but he's a Mid-South guy, even points out an angry black gal in the crowd and says "I'm with you ma'am". 

The JYD/Reed stuff was pretty awesome. I was actually quite surprised to see that JYD wasn't all that bad of a worker back in those days. I really only knew him from his WWF days and his horrid run in NWA so it was cool to see him pulling off russian legsweeps and suplexes. I don't know how well a tarring and feathering would go over today but I would absolutely love it if someone brought back painting a yellow stripe down their opponent's back.

One other thing I have to say: whoever was bitching on here about the new Jim Ross commentary for the silent matches is ridiculous. How the hell can you complain about that?! He does a fantastic job, especially on the Flair/Taylor match where he adds lots of psychological explanation, an anecdote about a Thesz/Hodge match that fits into the story, an acknowledgement that he shouldn't be biased but he's a Mid-South guy, even points out an angry black gal in the crowd and says "I'm with you ma'am". 

JR did a good job but it just felt a tad off to me and took me out of the matches a bit. I would've liked current JR doing commentary with the match participants. Kind of like how on other sets, they'll have guys do alternate commentary with Cole and explain the reasoning behind why they were doing certain things and other observations.

Well, Flair trying to explain himself during the Taylor match, if he even remembers the night before, would be fun. 

The only other JYD match on here is him/Mr. Olympia vs. Ted DiBiase/Matt Borne Loser Leaves Town match and that hit #10 on the ballot so that should be interesting. I kind of skipped around when I first got the set to watch the documentary parts and a few select classics like DiBiase/Flair and the Tuxedo Death Match so we'll see what we've got here.

It seems that Jigsaw has been wrestling fairly regularly in England for a company called RAD:PRO. Added bonus - he's mostly working as a dastardly villain called RUBIX ROACH, complete with evil laugh.

This promotion seems pretty fun, they've got loads of stuff up on youtube, with UK indy folks I recognise, and at least one Rampage Brown match.

I was watching disc 1 of the first Flair dvd set and I don't think I've ever seen a ref get in the way as much as Kiniski did during the Starrcade match with Race. I get what they were going for in that Kiniski was an old school guy who wanted them to wrestle but it was so overbearing. That had to be annoying as piss for Flair and Race to work around. I know there are some guys here who are wrestlers, have any of you experienced anything like that? Where a ref just totally got in the way of what you were trying to do?