DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Watched a few Buddy Rose in WWF squash matches circa '89-'90. He had a nice little back and forth one with Jake the Snake. Rose fell straight back through the ropes to the floor and took a nasty spill into the steel steps. Besides commentary ragging on him for his weight, Rose was freaking awesome.

He also sells like a champ in a match vs Demolition.

Was showing a 90s "Greatest Matches" comp tape to a friend and got to a 6 man with Super Delfin Gran Naniwa and Michinoku vs. Sasuke, Shiru and Tiger Mask. There's a woman at ringside in a Super Delfinesque costume. I reckon she was a joshi back then. Any of you have any idea which joshi I'm referring to, as in, did a regular character as "Supergirl Delfin" exist?

Was showing a 90s "Greatest Matches" comp tape to a friend and got to a 6 man with Super Delfin Gran Naniwa and Michinoku vs. Sasuke, Shiru and Tiger Mask. There's a woman at ringside in a Super Delfinesque costume. I reckon she was a joshi back then. Any of you have any idea which joshi I'm referring to, as in, did a regular character as "Supergirl Delfin" exist?

Nope

I am currently going through the USWA/SMW feud on youtube. "Smoky Mountain's hot, USWA is NOT!!!!" is my new favorite catchphrase. Heel, cheating Rock and Roll Express is fun as shit to watch too.

I am currently going through the USWA/SMW feud on youtube. "Smoky Mountain's hot, USWA is NOT!!!!" is my new favorite catchphrase. Heel, cheating Rock and Roll Express is fun as shit to watch too.

Is this all on one channel or are you just looking at random stuff? If it's all on one channel, I would definitely be interesting a link on that.

I reviewed a classic show tape today - FMW Grand Slam 1995 Part 1 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/fmw-first-grand-slam-world-brass.html

Overall thoughts: Pretty good tape with a lot of good stuff. This tape had the famous Oya/Hayabusa match and had two other good Hayabusa matches vs Kanemura and Mike Awesome. There was also a sick match with Mr. Pogo and Matsunaga where Matsunaga became a human torch.

Some shots from the tape:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've been slowly going through 1996 for both WCW and WWF. I have all the Raws and PPVs. Currently I'm up to Wrestlemania 12.

This is all new to me(except some matches I've seen) as I stopped watching wrestling from the end of 95 til around right after Mania 13. 

A thing that stuck out to me is just how quick Steve Austin went from The Ringmaster to Stone Cold. In all interviews and on DVDs he made it seem they was doing shit with The Ringmaster character and he took the bull by the horns and came up with Stone Cold to get managements attention. Truthfully, he debuted in January and by March he was Stone Cold. If I remember WWF back then they didn't give guys, especially midcarders, feuds usually right off the bat. He at least started his Savio Vega feud right as soon as the Stone Cold character started. 

Also, the Vader debut I could watch forever. That is how you debut a Main Event monster.

Randy Savage vs Paul Orndorff - WCW Worldwide 2nd Sep 95

This is kind of a big match to have on a C-show, but I'll not complain. This really wouldn't have looked out of place on a WWF show some ten years earlier, Orndorff in particular was great at cutting Savage off when it seemed like the momentum was about to shift, and worked the crowd early on like the pro that he is. Savage for his part sold and sold, and busted out not only a greatly executed counter to the piledriver, but also a lovely flying elbow that went way over half the ring. Pretty impressive considering he wasn't exactly a spring chicken by this point. I dug the hell out of this match, and it really made me want to revisit a lot of WCW stuff, as there's likely a bunch of hidden gems like this out there, from shows like Worldwide and Pro. I took part in the WCW poll on Smarkschoice years ago, and seeing a match like this really made me want to redo my list, I bet there's some absolute gold that I've neglected to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aagdBGxDv8

After Matt D's awesome post about Buddy Rose, I have been rewatching his stuff in Portland with the Sheepherders which I absolutely adore. I hadn't watched it in a few years, so going back to it has been a treat. All the promos are stellar, even the Sheepherders really hold their weight in this regard. It's so clear that Buddy is just having an absolute blast around this time. He is constantly stooging around and dressing up in Army gear. It's almost like watching Eddie at some points; there is just such unbridled joy in his performances. 

The matches have been fun too. This time period is a bit before the Herders got really violent and bloody, and you can see hints of all of the different things they would become at various points in their career. Butch Miller does a spot that made me laugh out loud last night, and someone should totally bring it back. He took a big strike from Piper off a hot tag or something like that, and slammed himself down quite hard for the back bump. He then immediately popped up like he was going to no sell it like a violent unstoppable monster heel......before immediately dropping to his knees and begging off like in his prime Flair. Just tremendous stuff. Luke Williams also routinely takes a bump on the Irish Whip in to the corner where he jumps really early during his turn and comes down low and just creams the back of his head on the middle turnbuckle. It's funny, I love today's pro wrestling, but I really miss this sort of early 80s wild man gimmick where dudes just threw themselves around looked violent and untrained. Maybe you can't really get away with it today because everyone knows it's entertainment, but it never fails to suck me in on these old tapes. It makes Portland and Memphis and all the other territories feel like I'm watching grainy clips of a Bloodsport like tournament. All these dudes with differing styles just duking it out to see who is the toughest. 

• Like 1

Still with WWE in 2007 and coming up to Backlash. Some general thoughts:

- There was people in this world that thought John Cena was a poor worker at this time and that blows my mind. Both the Michaels matches are completely on Cena, both Umaga PPV matches are excellent and the guy is just doing everything right. His selling for Michaels' dainty little wrists is a joy to watch. I can't wait to get to the Khali matches to see how they hold up.

- Bobby Lashley was a straight up entertaining dude and that's the truth. I mean, the guy is in there with Umaga and Vince but he more than holds his own and he's at the point now where he's over enough to warrant the move to Raw and the push that would have followed.

- They have Carlito paired with Flair and I can't tell if Carlito is unmotivated and thus lazy, or he was always just not very good.

- Elijah Burke is quite clearly the best guy on ECW at this point in time. Punk would morph into it but he hasn't put the pieces together yet. Every time Burke works with RVD, he leans into all of his kicks and makes them look like death, he's got great offense and he's a good talker. I know he failed because of other factors but he's really fun to watch right now. 

- I am amazed that everyone wanted Ken Kennedy to be the next big thing, what a fucking dork. He may be the biggest proponent of "acting" rather than "being" his character. Even here, he's kicking his legs and squirming when he's up for suplexes and powerbombs and I'm amazed he hasn't just been dropped on his head yet. 

- I know I have the name and I'm a complete fan of them but Deuce and Domino are totally better than I remember. Deuce in particular has just had a good match with Brian Kendrick on Smackdown and he just looked really good. Kendrick was bumping round like a lunatic but Deuce more than held his own.

- Benoit is clearly on a major decline right now. Unless he's in there with Finlay or MVP, the dude is throwing about 500 German Suplexes a match.

- JBL and Cole are absolutely the best commentary team they've had in years and Cole is great at being an idiot so JBL can berate him. They just work together incredibly well.

EDIT:

Doh, forgot my list of matches that you should check out:

PPV:

John Cena vs. Umaga - New Year's Revolution

Hardys vs. MNM - Royal Rumble

John Cena vs. Umaga - Royal Rumble

John Cena and Shawn Michaels vs. Batista and Undertaker - No Way Out

Chris Benoit vs. MVP - Mania 23

The Undertaker vs. Batista - Mania 23

John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - Mania 23

TV:

Chavo Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit - 16/1 Smackdown

Matt Hardy vs. Joey Mercury - Not sure of the date on this one

Finlay vs. Undertaker - 6/3 Smackdown

Matt Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy - 13/3 Smackdown

New Breed vs. ECW Originals - 3/4 ECW

Chris Benoit vs. MVP - 10/4 Smackdown

Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena - 23/4 Raw

I know that in a couple of months, Smackdown picks up some injuries and that's when you have Finlay and Matt Hardy getting 15 minutes every week and that's when it gets really great.

• Like 1

Still going through my ROH rewind project from their very first show. I'm almost done with Unscripted. There's a lot of Wrestlecrap-worthy booking on these early shows, but some very good matches as well. 

I'm still hoping to fill out an AWA ballot as well.

• Like 1

Were you the one who was posting links to your blog for the old ROH shows? If so, can you please post the current one? I really enjoyed reading those, it was fun to see what I remembered from back when I actually liked ROH. 

Man, I just watched William Regal vs. Boogeyman from the 4th May 2007 episode of Smackdown and Regal is absolutely glorious. Throwing hard kicks at Boogey, dropping nasty knees to the face before really aggressively pinning him and a spot where he puts Boogey's head against the ringpost and straight up kicks him in it. Then Dave Taylor hits the midget Boogeyman straight in the face and it's so wonderful. If you offered me a William Regal in WWE comp, I would give you all of the money you wanted and more.

Loved some STRONG BJ last year so I've been trying to crack into some this year. Not a ton of stuff has been at the level of things from some of what happened in 2011/2012 but Sekimoto/Okabayashi still are stiff bastards.

-So watched Shinya Ishikawa vs. Sekimoto and noticing how much I like watching Ishikawa. Damn he layed into Sekimoto

-Shinjiro Otani vs. Kazuki Hashimoto felt like a nice little introduction to K-Hash for me

-Okabayashi/Shinobu vs Ishikawa/Kawakami:Shinobu is not a favorite of mine but maybe that's because I haven't seen him in the right environment. What I have seen has seen him take a BEATING.