jaedmc

I reviewed one of my childhood favorites today - WCW Saturday Night 11/23/1991

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/wcw-saturday-night-11231991-review.html

Some shots from the show:

zb.gif

q.gif

4-6-2016%2B2-40-56%2BPM.png

4-6-2016%2B5-57-59%2BPM.png

Overall thoughts: Really good show overall with the formation of the Dangerous Alliance and a hot crowd. We had nice storyline development throughout and MR. HUGHES bumps big.

I reviewed WCW Saturday Night 11/30/1991 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/wcw-saturday-night-11301991-review.html

Overall thoughts: Not as good as last weeks show but this was serviceable. York Foundation vs Steamboat/Rhodes was good and Cactus/Pillman did a 1991 version of a spotfest. Some awful gimmicks on the show though with Johnny B Badd, The Patriots and Arachniman.

j.gif
4-7-2016%2B11-27-04%2BAM.png
4-7-2016%2B11-05-55%2BAM.png

I reviewed WCW Saturday Night 12/7/1991 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/wcw-saturday-night-1271991-review.html

Overall thoughts: Kind of a mish mash of various footage likely due to the holiday the previous week. Good show though with an okay Benoit/Liger NJPW, a hot 8-man with Pillman looking like the best worker in the world like always and some decent squashes.

r.gif
g.gif
4-10-2016%2B10-33-01%2BAM.png
GENTLEMAN JIM CLONTZ!

Tossed in a random videotape to kill some time yesterday and it was FMW from 1998. Anyone know why Kanemura's hockey sweater of choice for a little while was the Peoria Rivermen?

I had no idea what it was before, but recognized it after I've been living in central Illinois for the past couple of years.

Apparently American sports jerseys are as rare as Japanese wrestling shirts over here so you'll see the death match wrestlers wearing all kinds of different shit. I think sometimes they just take what they can get. My favorite was always Shadow WX rocking the yellow FUBU jersey.

• Like 1

It took me two weeks, but I reviewed All Japan Women Rage in the Cage 1997 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/all-japan-womens-kawasaki-kanaami.html

Overall thoughts: Best cage match of all time? The main event cage match was beyond wrestling and just a war. There wasn't one wrestling move for the first 15 minutes and there didn't need to be. Must see match, likely the 1997 MOTY and a GOAT contender. People got so bloody it was hard to even tell who was who. The rest of card? Eh. A bad 30 minute Toyota/Hotta draw and a disappointing tag match - who would ever want to see the two top kickers go at it when you could see two other people? The crowd killed the show but nothing was stopping that cage match.

zm.gif

5-4-2016%2B11-48-28%2BPM.png

5-5-2016%2B12-12-20%2BAM.png

4-26-2016%2B4-35-04%2BPM.png

I reviewed Carnival ARSION '98 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/arsion-hyper-visual-fighting-carnival.html

Overall thoughts: State of the art, still ahead of its time in 2016 wrestling. Worst crowd/micing ever and non-wrestling stuff that killed the show. If you can see the wrestling parts check it out, but stay away from the rest. The main was good with Yoshida looking like the best wrestler in the world. Tamada/Yagi's tag wasn't as good as it could have been but they did a great job as a tag team and if nothing else, ARSION had the prettiest roster ever.

n.gif
r.gif
5-12-2016%2B2-57-45%2BPM.png
5-12-2016%2B1-42-11%2BPM.png

My knowledge of Japanese wrestling (or indeed any wrestling outside of my Western comfort zone) is underdeveloped to say the least, my knowledge of Japanese women's wrestling even more so. But, fuck, I just watched Aja Kong vs. Manami Toyota from the Tokyo Dome in November 1994 on a whim, largely because I like Awesome Kong and Kongo Kong and wondered whether Aja Kong was somewhat similar, and as it turns out, maybe... maybe it's the greatest professional wrestling match that has ever happened? I mean, it's impossible to say considering I only saw it five minutes ago. But I just couldn't believe what I was watching at times. The athleticism from both of them was incredible and it was combined with moments of sheer nastiness, it was just so compelling. It's almost perfectly tailored to my fickle attention span as well, just under 20 minutes and it felt even shorter considering there was zero fucking around from either of them, they just started beating the heck out of each other and kept going. I've got to get acquainted with as many Aja Kong/Manami Toyota matches as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted any of my internet shows as I took a break while trying to work out a television deal with the local Shaw TV affiliate. It's bi-weekly right now, and features all wrestling promotions in the Okanagan region (Thrash Wrestling, Invasion Championship Wrestling and my promotion, Big West Wrestling), and has currently one episode up:

Plus, to supplement that, I'm doing a shorter internet-only show for just my promotion:

• Like 1

Found a YT channel with a bunch of early/mid 80s Florida. I've been going through some of the stuff from '84, specifically.  Kevin Sullivan is utterly captivating. The angle where Midnight Rider and Mike Graham lynch him from the rafters had me at the edge of my seat.

What a weird dynamic, as your babyfaces are essential guilty of attempted murder. 

On 5/31/2016 at 4:12 PM, Shane said:

Found a YT channel with a bunch of early/mid 80s Florida. I've been going through some of the stuff from '84, specifically.  Kevin Sullivan is utterly captivating. The angle where Midnight Rider and Mike Graham lynch him from the rafters had me at the edge of my seat.

What a weird dynamic, as your babyfaces are essential guilty of attempted murder. 

Is it really attempted.murder when you're clearly fighting a demon?

8 hours ago, We Dem Boyz said:

Clash of the Champions XXVI. Been watching chronologically since Raw debut subbing in WCW shows not on the network. Vader vs. Flair and Rude vs. Sting is far superior to WWF at this point.

At what point isn't Vader vs. Flair and Rude vs. Sting superior to whatever the WWE was doing at the time?

On 5/21/2016 at 8:43 PM, Jack said:

My knowledge of Japanese wrestling (or indeed any wrestling outside of my Western comfort zone) is underdeveloped to say the least, my knowledge of Japanese women's wrestling even more so. But, fuck, I just watched Aja Kong vs. Manami Toyota from the Tokyo Dome in November 1994 on a whim, largely because I like Awesome Kong and Kongo Kong and wondered whether Aja Kong was somewhat similar, and as it turns out, maybe... maybe it's the greatest professional wrestling match that has ever happened? I mean, it's impossible to say considering I only saw it five minutes ago. But I just couldn't believe what I was watching at times. The athleticism from both of them was incredible and it was combined with moments of sheer nastiness, it was just so compelling. It's almost perfectly tailored to my fickle attention span as well, just under 20 minutes and it felt even shorter considering there was zero fucking around from either of them, they just started beating the heck out of each other and kept going. I've got to get acquainted with as many Aja Kong/Manami Toyota matches as possible. 

Good lord man. Do you not read the DVDVRs? Watch this. 

EDIT: Meanwhile, Aja vs. KAORU is sadly missing online. If any match can sell someone on Joshi, IMO, it's that.

Watching a WWF show from Houston (11/87). Nothing wrong with the in ring stuff. I'm having a blast with this Billy Graham/Butch Reed match that's on currently, but man, this is a brutal team on commentary. Bruce Pritchard is fine, but Pete Doherty is one of the worst announcers that I've ever heard. Terrible broadcast voice, heavy accent at times and he adds nothing. Mike McGuirk is there as well, but doesn't say a whole lot.