DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

So many people are saying they want to post more about the rasslin' they're watching. Do it.

I watched Drake Younger vs. Abdullah Kobayashi from last year. Younger took a hypodermic needle in his throat. I thought that spot was dumb. I actually dig deathmatch stuff, and the whole match wasn't totally bad, but sometimes it feels like circus geeks would be laughing at these guys.

I watched Okada vs. Goto from last year too. I'm not buying Okada yet as a great wrestler. He's not bad, he's just not the total package I was told he was.

I've been watching a lot of 2012 Japanese stuff. I'm struggling to get interested in WWE. I'm working more so my watching is limited, and so far puroresu or Old School US, are the only things I'll use that time for.

Any good indy shit on youtube? Who's good these days?

What are the rest of you assholes watching?

Been working my way through the "Golden Age of Montreal" DVD I got when I grabbed Mad Dog, Midgets and Screwjobs at WrestleCon. It's a mix of Grand Prix and Lutte International, with fun highlights to be had on each end. The 70s stuff is definitely more interesting to me as it's really neat to see guys like Mad Dog Vachon really active and busy in the ring (he was 43 in his matches against Andre and Carpentier), plus I love their interview format with, say, Tarzan Tyler and Gilles Poisson cutting a promo while Gino Brito and Dino Bravo loom behind them via green screens and react to what they're saying.

Watching OVW's last tv taping of 2006. It's the one where Burchill won the Heavyweight Title 2 minutes after Chet The Jet won it,  after Burchill invoked an "anytime anyplace" title shot he won earlier that month. They gave us the big finish matches for multiple feuds/storylines that night, including Deuce and Domino ( with Cherry, of course) vs. Spears/Rhodes, and most notably Beth Phoenix vs. Katie Lea via Ladder Match.

It's one of my fave ladder matches ever. Was taped in the Davis Arena, so you had a small loyal crowd that reacted well, or at least paid a lot of attention, to most everything that night. Announcers sold every use of the ladder well, as if hit hurt them just to watch it.

Great opening to a match in that Katie Lea was outside of the ring posing on the ladder whilst Beth was in the ring doing the usual "stare at the belts routine", and then Katie just dove off the ladder with a crossbody when Beth came to confront her. I can't off hand think of another match where the first move was a jump like that. Match was well timed and paced. It wasn't a 2 minute rushjob, or a 20 minute bloody war, but actually just long enough for a championship bout on a 1 hour syndicated weekly show.

Burchil in OVW was a proper villain, and should've down well with the same gimmick in WWECW. The taping after he won the OVW belt, they did a typical backstage "everyone checks out the new champ" shoot, but this one ended with Paul being confronted by fellow Brit Steve Lewington. I think he was DJ Gabriel in ECW for a month. Anyway, when Paul said, "Compared to me, you're like Elton John, and I'm Jack The Ripper, " I thought it, combined with how he won, gave the territory an quality segue into a new top heel.

I don't know how much purorseu you've been watching but I've heard that NJPW has been on fire this year.

I've mostly just been watching what they put up on 24/7. The first two or three months of 1999 WWF have aged much better than I thought they would, though I haven't reached the part yet where Russo reverses the Road Dogg and Billy Gunn WrestleMania matches just to be swervetastic.

Been watching a trio of "Bastard" Dave Mastiff matches on Youtube, all of which were great fun. Mastiff is swiftly becoming one of my favourites to watch.

The first vs Sami Callihan sees Mastiff dominating. Callihan smack talks Mastiff, leading to the Bastard just blitzing him with an avalanche, then folding him up with a running Liger bomb to try and end the match early. I also liked Mastiff trying for the early win with a few quick pinfalls, then trying to ground Callihan down when that doesn't work. Everytime Sami tries to get back in the match, the sheer bulk of Mastiff allows him to cut him off. He does eventually get an advantage and hits two facewashes on Dave in the corner, but makes the mistake of yelling that he's going for a third, allowing Mastiff to explode from the corner with a clothesline. Only the ropes save Sami after a cannonball in the corner. Callihan breaks free from a Mastiff superplex attempt and, after kicking Dave in the back of the knee to weaken his balance, plants him with a powerbomb for two. A stretch muffler attempt fails so Callihan rolls up Mastiff instead to barely escape with the win.

I was at the next match, with Mastiff taking on Scott Grimm. Mastiff cuts a pretty funny pre-match promo, and the match itself is decent. This is a battle of two massive men and, whilst Grimm is limited, this is at least an energised affair as both men throw bombs at each other. Grimm's belly-to-belly suplex looked good, and I loved the sudden speed of Mastiff to nail a crossbody on Grimm. The Bastard gets decent air on a rolling firemans carry and running senton and, though the match ends in a disappointing double-DQ, this is a fine fat-man match.

The final bout is a triple threat from Belgium, with Mastiff defending against Johnny Moss and Chris Masters. Mastiff and Masters form a pre-match allegiance and gang up on Moss, prompting a fun chop-tour of the ring from Masters. Master distracts the ref to let Mastiff ram Moss into the rails outside, then Mastiff directs traffic, telling Masters to work over the back of Moss. You know at some point there will be a fallout between the two, but until then it's fun to watch the two work over Moss, and it's certainly better than the usual chuck-one-guy-from-the-ring style of 3-way. We miss Moss's comeback as the camera focuses on the commentators and we only catch Masters planting Moss with a wicked spinebuster. The seeds of doubt are planted in the relationship as Mastiff tries to steal the pin from this, and as they continue on Moss, you can sense in Masters's body language that he's starting to tire of Dave. Masters tries to pin Moss and Mastiff breaks the pin to save his title. Their face-off gives Moss time to recuperate and dropkick Mastiff into Masters. In a nice looking spot, Masters tries to Masterlock Mastiff, only for Moss to grab him from behind and plant him with a massive German suplex. An overhead belly-to-belly on Big Dave is even more impressive. Masters gets up to Masterlock Moss, but Mastiff gets up, boots Masters in the head, then quickly pins the weakened Moss to retain his title. Not as much impressive offence from the Bastard, but a nicely put together three way.

LINKAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-_fw0YgN8 (vs Callihan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfNxWA3O63Q (vs Grimm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKHqTLSILq8 (3 way)

Got the October 2002 Smackdown Rebellion PPV off netflix. So odd to Cena wearing his generic gear, having generic music, and playing heel just before his rap on the Halloween show that probably saved his career.

Oh, and he jobs in a mixed tag match to KIDMAN.

I've started re-watching the 80's Mid-South set, and damn it is just about everything I like about US style wrestling. A lot of that to go, I probably won't do it all, but it's the first time I've watched wrestling in large chunks in ages.

Yeah Mid South can be pretty addicting. Not the best wrestling by any stretch, but there's something about the way its presented where you have to watch another disc straight away for the continuation. Easy watching I guess. JYD is a riot and the fans are so into him, and Ted Dibiase was world class at the time, just brilliant in everything he did. 

WWE 2007 recently and man, it starts off shaky but when they start building to Mania, it just takes off. I had forgotten just how good Matt Hardy was at this point with long TV matches every week with guys like Finlay and MVP. Is Lashley the last guy that they booked this strongly? He hasn't been beaten thus far, I believe. has broken the Masterlock and has clean wins over Orton and Kennedy in a handicap match, he's really been presented as a star. Why did Brad Armstrong disappear from the ECW announce desk?

And, man, Deuce, Domino and Cherry have THE greatest theme music of modern times. 

• Like 3

Decided to spend more time in the 80s. Haven't watched much from the Von Erichs so randomly chose a match on youtube. Made a great apparently. Von Erichs vs the Freebirds 7/4/83. I didn't really have expectations going in. If I had I am sure this would have exceeded them by a large margin. Just the entrances alone was a major spectacle. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeD_UKAXdU8

I typically don't like watching a match more than once. Though I am open to it once a long time has passed since watching it. This was the first match in ages I ended up rewatching immediately after first viewing. I doubt I have seen a better tag team match. I've seen some equals but nothing better. 

Watching a lot of late 80s Lex Luger as well. Watched this on recommendation and it was a good jumping off point. Good quick TV match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqTnYC5zQQ0

• Like 1

And, man, Deuce, Domino and Cherry have THE greatest theme music of modern times. 

At a house show back in 07, Deuce and Domino gave me dirty looks and a lot of grief on the mic for eyeballing Cherry. I think they did that every other show during thir run, and I just happened to be their target that night. Good times.

Just watched their Smackdown debut the other day, where JBL goes from "What the hell is this?" to "I like these guys." in under 10 minutes. That gimmick, and that music, was pure gold.

Just watched their Smackdown debut the other day, where JBL goes from "What the hell is this?" to "I like these guys." in under 10 minutes. That gimmick, and that music, was pure gold.

My favorite bit with them was JBL referencing Cherry on her skates. "If she had a skateboard, half a brain, and no talent, she could be Vice President of Talent Relations!"Still makes me laugh after all these years.
  • Like 1

My favorite bit with them was JBL referencing Cherry on her skates. "If she had a skateboard, half a brain, and no talent, she could be Vice President of Talent Relations!"Still makes me laugh after all these years.

JBL keeps calling her "Sandy" and "Sally" too. That run of JBL on commentary is incredible

Working through the Rock set, and just got past the Backlash 2000 main event against Triple H, and the following night's cage match against Shane McMahon. Good stuff, with the Backlash match in particular being just about the perfect overbooked, gimmicked-up WWE main event. JR is totally obnoxious with all the cracks about Pat Patterson's sexuality though.

Working through the Rock set, and just got past the Backlash 2000 main event against Triple H, and the following night's cage match against Shane McMahon. Good stuff, with the Backlash match in particular being just about the perfect overbooked, gimmicked-up WWE main event. JR is totally obnoxious with all the cracks about Pat Patterson's sexuality though.

This is probably the best booked, WWF match of the era. Just utterly fun soap opera! In fact, that whole event was brilliant. 

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2v9gNFmIxc

On the other hand, I've just watched Rock/Angle from the ppv before WM17, when Rock wins the belt back, and it's pretty obnoxious in that Kurt Angle way. Amongst other things, he was so business-exposingly shitty at timing his nearfall kick-outs. Just had to wait as long as possible to get the maximum pop.

The 84 studio crowd in Memphis was really hot in general but it really surprises me a little how over the R'n'Rs were since I thought they were traded to Mid-South in part because they were looked upon by the management and the fans as the B-team,

Finishing up AIW's J.T. Lightning Invitational 2013 and I am blown away by the quality of wrestling across these two days. Red hot crowd, coupled with these performers putting their all into every match and a fantastic Tracy Smothers segment, I would for sure go out of your way to catch this great event.

Checked out CZW's New Heights on iPPV this weekend and I am more and more impressed with Biff Busick every time I see him in the ring. Starting with his match against Drew Gulak at National Pro Wrestling Day, this guy has truly become a must see for me and when he is on a show, there is a good chance it is in my collection. Going up against the awe inspiring AR Fox, these two really fucking brought it and the little mannerisms that Biff throws in, really helps take his game to that next step.

The Beaver Boys (John Silver & Alex Reynolds) are money, no, straight money. Their competitive and exciting match against 4Loko representatives Bandido Jr. & Azrieal was my personal favorite MOTY and really pulled the hands from under the collective crowds asses, as they made some noise and seemed to be stoked on the match. 

Shane Strickland vs Alex Colon, the opening 6 way (including a fantastic Shane Hollister/Caleb Konley showdown) and Greg Excellent vs Andrew Everett were all good matches and help add to this already solid night of wrestling. MASADA/Chris Dickinson was clearly hampered by MASADA's knee injury, so it is what it is.

Looking forward to checking out AIW's Absolution on SMVOD.