DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Watching 1995 Saturday Night from January and Hogan sure is corny.  We had a Vader interview where he kept saying the "demon is pain."  I don't know what that meant but he sure looked awesome.  Mean Gene is usually pretty forward in getting guys off his back during interviews but when Vader got in his face, he made sure to use the term please. 

Beautiful Bobby fought Dave Sullivan.  Bobby had an awesome mullet and Sullivan looks like a bloated, ugly Hogan with a little more hair.  I was sure Evad was going over but his brother Dave came in and cost him the match and I haven't popped that hard in ages. 

Dustin Rhodes fought Carl Fergy in a nothing match as Blacktop Bully, Meng, and Col. Parker watched.  Parker really had an awesome stable around this time with the Bully, Meng, Dirty Dick and Bunkhouse.  Parker apparently was responsible for bailing out Bully from jail and getting him his truck back.  Awesome.

We're up to Harlem Heat v. Stars and Stripes for the tag belts.

Ah ah it was me and mco and I was FIRST! Ha! *blows raspberry*

Seriously though great review and yeah, watch that match. Join the club and get your '70s Broadway merit badge.

For lucha hyping I tried to get through Jerry Estrada vs. Javier Cruz but it started out so... off (Jerry being out of his head on drugs) that I thought I'd wait for the set to rewatch. Shiro Koshinaka (as Samurai Shiro) vs. El Satanico hair match was great. They both bleed like freaks and Kosh has great heat, knows how to work the crowd perfect. There is an incredibly egregious moment in this that's gonna raise a furor when we start discussing the set however. After that I went back and rewatched the Santito/Bestia Charles/Scorpio Jr. vs. El Dandy/Hector Garza/Negro Casas six-man and the ensuing hair/mask three-way between Casas, Dandy and Santito. The moment in the former where Hector Garza tries the Shooting Star Press to the floor and nearly paralyzes himself is made even funnier because they continue the dive train like nothing happened. Negro Casas is so fucking good in both of these. In the latter El Dandy makes Muta look like a puss-boy with his bladejob -- there is a reason why we call it the Level 9 El Dandy and I look forward to seeing many of these in the set.

Don't know if I can make it through all of the War Games set. I'm very much allergic to the NWO... is the final Russo one with the Tower of Doom funny or will it just piss me off?

EDIT: Hey what the hell, here are links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlV69VtoBHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at40rTxeDxg

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the War Games Blu-Ray finally and I skipped right to Disc 2 for my own reasons.  1995 was fun but revolved around Hulk.  I liked 96 much better, especially when Flair came in and was begging the nWo to come into the second ring with him.  The arena came unglued and he did all his little spots.  The crowd did not believe nWo Sting was the real Sting for a second as he got no real pop but when Sting came out, they came out of their seats.  Next was 97 and I loved that Buff Bagwell posed so much.  I'm starting to like him more as I never really realized how much of a douche he was.  That's as far as I got so far. 

I also just got the KC Timeline 96 with Kevin Sullivan so I'm going through that as well.  He seems like a nice guy and I like hearing his booking philosophy on things.

I keep forgetting about Dean's thread. I'll pop in there and see what's what. 

Mentioned in the Lucha thread, I want to bring this up here in case many of you don't go over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80dtvuZ_gw

Incredibly fun spotfest, and Aerostar is DA BOMB. He's like that warm fuzzy feeling you had watching Rey Mysterio in the 90's. 

Also as I mentioned in the purothreads KENTA/Marufuji from this year is really darn good, better than I thought it was going to be, so go watch that on the youtubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smj81W3BkWg

I've been asking for wrestling on twitter, because I have inlaws in and I need a ready distraction. Victator recommended Shark vs. Giant in WCW and it's actually really good stuff. It's amazing to see Tenta look so much bigger than Big Show, who at this time was so svelte. This feels likea  precursor to the Henry/Bog Show monster matches. Big Show's still a little rough, in terms of layout and direction, but it's wild how well he works at such a young age. The plus side is when he feels like he's losing people he listens and tries to get them back. Lots of guys don't get that. Tenta's bumping in the second match is great and by golly that dropkick was killer. I would have shit my pants if a guy like that even tried to dropkick me.

Match1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0iLtYD02Ks

Rematchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A94r7uFcJXI

Ron Starr vs. Leo Burke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiDimtKgQcY

Another twitter rec. The physical pantomime of both guys(and the ref early on) felt like a clown show, where every movement is detailed and meant to convey a variety of emotions. Leo Burke has this crazy shoulder physicality that looks so fucking rad everytime he does something like a hip toss or a body slam. This match is also pretty grimey, with down and dirty headlock work(great headlock work needs to make a comeback) and forearms to eyes. Really fun match check it out.

Been watching WWE's MSW set. I got it today from Amazon and it's incredible. There's no documentary, but there are little bits of stories told throughout it before big matches. The VQ is solid, but does have the VHS tracking stuff on the bottom, so it's not exactly perfect. It's got Ali's stuff with Roberts and Barbarian. Roberts doesn't take a bump for the punches, but Barbarian doesn't just bump, but sells so broadly that an elderly blind man behind a sign in the top row could see him.

There's a hilarious workout video with Wrestling II, TA, and JR with Wrestling II in all white denim shorts that look silly. Then they try to break a bag of wheat with the kneelift. By God, TA just can't do it, but ONE MILLION DOLLAR KNEELIFT splits that bag. The Blu-Ray is worth buying for a Buzz Sawyer highlight reel showing him take existing moves and make them his own by doing them in a way no one did them at the time and no one has done them since. He also sold a punch by Duggan in mid-ring by FLYING THROUGH THE MIDDLE ROPE. It's tremendous. Ted Sr. tells a story about turning heel and having Grizzly's tires slashed as a result since he wouldn't drive his own car in so he caught a ride with him.

Terry Taylor talks about his big match with Flair in great detail. Flair showed up hung over 2 hours into the show, and there was about an hour to go before their match. Ric told him to let him rest, then get him some coffee. He did, and Flair wound up showing up like the Nature Boy and instead of giving Terry a 12 minute match like he feared would happen, gave him a 50 minute one that blew him up. Dusty tells some stories about Boyd, leading to a highlight reel of his silliest outfits.

Screens -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8tqxvhrpudadt1c6wuhfbpnumbidrzl0

Maffew from Botchamania tweeted this out. Koko must've been in a bad mood:

Haha, this was fantastic! I just watched it three times in a row. I think he legit knocked that jobber out with the clothesline. The poor dude is totally sandbagging Koko for the Ghostbuster at the end, probably because he was in dreamland. 

On the stiff squash scale, I give it a full five out of five Kevin Sullivans. Well played. 

I have dived into a 1987 Prime Time Wrestling season set.  God, I love this.  The chemistry between Gorilla and Bobby brings a smile to my face.  The buildup to Mania III is just perfect.  Angles move at a deliberate enough pace that you can digest them and enjoy them.  Two examples.  The Hogan/Andre Mania III buildup was dragged out over five weeks of Piper's Pits.  Just perfect.  Week 1, Hogan's trophy.  Week 2, Andre's trophy.  Week 3, Jesse and Roddy spar.  Week 4, Andre shows up with Heenan to challenge Hogan.  Week 5, Hogan accepts, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

The Danny Davis stuff is just brilliant.  Love the house shows from MSG, MLG, and Boston... This is wrestling the way it was meant to be.

Match of the night for me. 1996 Starrcade. Ultimo Dragon vs. Deano Malenko -

Significance of this match. Ultimo was the J-Crown Champion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Crown ) at the time and Dean was the cruiserweight champ. So this was the Unification match of essentially all of the jr. heavyweight belts in the world. This night was special to me because my favorite wrestler of all time, Jushin Liger, wrestled Ron Mysterio Jr in a dream matchup. 

But this Ultimo vs. Malenko match is one of the best cruiserweight matches in WCW history. Dusty Rhodes on the mic alone makes this match worth watching. It is probably in my Top 5 from that era. Just watch how my man Ultimo walks to the ring. SO much confidence at this time. That dude was on top of the world at that time.

Hope some of you can enjoy this. Just watch it later. Put it in your que.

The OCD in me always watches that match and right after the Liger/Mysterio match. Since those were my two matches from that card. Mike Tenay did a great job talking about the history/significance of this match. One of my favorite Mike Tenay performances by far. I was a little emotional at times during this match because they talked a lot about Liger's brain tumor that he had earlier in the year. Dusty had a nice little segment in here when he talked about life and how that tumor could change Liger's outlook on life. Same with Mike. I think I prayed that Liger came back and didn't die during this time.  But it was good seeing my dude back.

The only thing about this match was the botched finish. But Liger beat the hell out of Mysterio during this match.

Note: Yall think Dolph and Sandow had it bad. Did you know Rey lost like 5 PPV matches in a row during this time.
Havoc: vs. Malenko
Starrcade: vs Liger
Two consecutive PPV loses to Prince Iakeua
I forgot who the last one was. Maybe Syxx???????

Thanks for posting those Starrcade matches, Kash.  I was at that show and don't think I've seen them since then.  

That show was a lot of fun.  There's a pic of Ultimo Dragon from that show in the instruction book for the Playstation version of WCW vs The World.  You can see my friend and I very tiny in it.  Fun fact.

I got Schneider Comp. #26 along with the lucha project and ran through a couple matches:

Tenryu/Hara vs. Onita/Goto from WAR was really good. For a guy with only three moves that he always fucks up Onita is the best, relying on blood and charisma alone to carry his end in a match. Surprisingly this is at a WAR show but with a total pro-FMW crowd that eats up Onita and Goto as babyfaces. Not as high-end as the WAR vs. NJPW stuff but still really choice. Hara will stiff the living shit out of you and that really makes me eager to watch his other two matches on here with Takashi Ishikawa. 

Speaking of stiff, Ikeda/Oba vs. Hashi/Mashimo from FUTEN... jeeeeeeezus! I haven't watched this in awhile and it is a horror of violence that you cannot imagine. It's more brutal than LA Park vs. Mesias on here and you know the three big blood-feud matches Park's been involved in the last couple years are serious. Hashi's headbutts, man... At the end (and this isn't on my downloaded file) Ikeda puts over Hashi on the mic and it feels like a really big, emotional moment with a legend putting over a guy who never got his due. Hell, neither of them got their due in NOAH so this must have felt pretty cathartic. Oba as non-wrestler-looking comedy guy sounds totally awkward as the odd man out here but he works perfectly, reminds me of when Masao Inoue gets a shot in a bigger tag match and you start to root for him. 

I don't get the big deal about Wahoo vs. Bock No DQ, everyone was flipping out over it on the old board but it just seemed good without being insanely great to me. The chairshot at the end was perfection though. It sounds exactly like Raven's theory behind the "chairshot heard round the world" being done back when that would truly get over. I'll come back and watch it again later.

Also, both Tommy Rich matches are aces and that La Fiera/Jerry Estrada chain match is a perfect rejoinder to the lucha set, insanely violent with stuff I've never seen in a chain match, like the open where Fiera is swinging the chain around like a sword-fighter to menace Estrada, why hasn't anyone else ever done that?

That Ultimo/Malenko match reminds me that I need to re-print that pic of Ultimo carrying all those belts and grinning like he just pulled a heist on Reggie Parks and tape it to my wall as an inspiration poster.

It's a favorite of mine too:

Posted Image