DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I watched Verne/Thesz. Essentially Lou Thesz got to be the scientific heel/dickhead who would essentially play by the rules, while occasionally doing things that got him booed. Russ Davis is disliked by some of the WrestlingClassics people who have watched tons of his stuff, but I kinda just see him as being like Steve Physioc (Royals/Angels/etc announcer), great voice and a limited knowledge of what he's actually watching.

I can't figure out the specifics of the move where Thesz has Gagne in the headlock, and then jabs/hits him behind the ref's back on the break.

I also don't know which other 1950s Wrestlers are gonna be putting up good/interesting matches on that channel. And apparently they'll keep adding stuff for awhile

I don't think I've ever seen Albano in his physical prime before, or Gypsy Joe for that matter. Not to mention all these guys I've never heard of. This channel is getting my full attention on Monday.

for reference, that's Gypsy Joe (1915-1986), real name Carmine Muccioli. Not Gypsy Joe (1933-pres), real name Pepe Melendez.

So, here's the Great Karpozilos v. the Great Yamato, addressing the greatest feud of our time, Greece v. Japan. I don't know if the referee was huge or if both of these guys are really short, you yellabelly:

Dick the Bruiser v. Chest Bernard. Both names were accurate. No commentary track for this match.

El Hombre Montana (The Man Mountain) & Ramon Cernades v. Al Williams & Rudy Kay. It's 1951, so the announcer does lots of stereotypical Mexican accents to imitate Montana/Cernades (from Argentina) while he's not making terrible fucking jokes constantly. Al Williams has some impressive tattoos for the era.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24eaen_one-man-gang-vs-big-bubba-rogers-uwf-mid-south-04-19-1987_sport

Decided to peep out what I hadn't seen on the Legends of Mid-South set today (which was not much. Snowman vs. Jake? *bleurgh*) and gave this a revisit. After not having seen Ray Traylor since his last WWE run it cool to see him young and green, but still awesome. All his bumps were huge, and those punches! Austin said one of two times he's ever been knocked out in the ring was from one of those. Also cool to see he was basically the exact same height as OMG. A bit slow but a fun match with a little blood to knock it up a rung.

Okay so this is the FOURTH worst Flair/Jumbo match voted for on the '80s All Japan ballot and it is still incredible. You watched the Flair/Steamboat matches? Put this earlier, make the Flair Standards feel fresher, put them against an opponent that I will honestly say rivals him and Rick Steamboat neck-and-neck, and have Harley mulling at the corner and LORD JAMES MOTHERFUCKIN' BLEARS refereeing*. Which is a far cry from the 'Flair for the Gold' cage match, to say the least. Now I'm gonna have to watch everything with Flair and Jumbo just to see what's best.

*http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/03/29/features/index.html My grandfather was an artillery gunner in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal and he would never speak of shit like this unless you pressed him, at the end of his life. I believe this man, as I did my granddad, though he was a professional wrestler. There is some shit you just could not believe unless you heard if from the source, friends. 

• Like 1

Not sure what's more amusing, Vince explaining some UFC, or Honky Tonk Man cheering for the random dude facing Shamrock.

Unfortunately for Vernon White, he did not become the Taka Michinoku of this match

------

and a few moments from King Kong Bundy's babyface stint from 1994 Memphis

Bundy must be a waxer. One of the silky-smoothest dudes to ever step between the ropes. I'd wager that Bundy's pubes have never been seen by anyone except for the Best Western housekeeper who had to sweep them up every other morning.

I love that one so much just because it's a perfect document of the New Generation trying to survive without their ace to lead them. I believe there was a similar trios the week before where Misawa gets taken out, so his boys come back for revenge next week. And then this week, Fuchi breaks Kobashi's nose to absolutely no one's surprise. Fuchi/Jumbo/Taue is up there with the Bucaneros and Los Infernales as my favorite trios of all time.