DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Started watching Jim Crockett '86 - the Saturday night show (World Championship Wrestling) and the couple shows that made vhs release/closed circuit broadcast.

My god, the hair.  There needs to be a thread on wrestler's hair.  Magnum TA's mullet wouldn't even make a 10 best in the company list right now.  Harley Race's pfoofy perm (?) is amazing.  And I find myself oddly fascinated with Tully Blachard's hair.  Helmet head at it's very best.  It never moves.  If there had been a nuclear war in the 80's, twinkies, cockroaches, and Tully's hair would have been the last survivors.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not (I really am a very sensitive soul, actually). Will say it was nice to see Misawa have a flashback to Tiger Mask days and uncork some high flying, despite seeing a guy do the move that crippled himself on a guy that died in the ring. 

Just watched the RnR doc and they had a morton/lucas match from southwest. Nice novelty.

Also watched Rick Rude's first tv mattch in mid-south. Oddly, it was againt a non-bleach blonde Rip Rogers.

Same show had a buzz sawyer v johnny rich match and a pre-russian barry darsow squash.

Watched Superstars on the Superstation last night (special televised JCP card).  Not quite PPV-quality, since several of the four matches ended with non-finishes or screwy interference, but it was a great show.  Basically, matched up the wrestlers from three of JCP's biggest feuds at that time, plus a Road Warriors-Russians feud which was just getting started.  Even had a tag title switch (Midnight Express won belts from RnR).  The Dusty-Tully match was fun, though not their best.  I really hate the Babydoll stuff.

Also, I'm a huge Dusty Rhodes fan, but it's only 1986 and it's already annoying watching morbidly obese Dusty booked to kill the Horsemen dead singlehandedly.  A few weeks before this card, he "injured" Ole with his protective boot (think loaded boot) by jumping off the top rope repeatedly and kneeing Ole in the shoulder.  Watching Dusty haul his bulk up to the turnbuckle is... something.

Like I said in the Konnan thread I got into some '80s NJ today and just watched Masa Saito/Riki Choshu vs. George Takano/Super Strong Machine for the IWGP Tag Titles. Remembered liking it back in the day and sure enough it holds the test of time. Saito and Choshu are such a great shitkicker team, two thick brutes that just maul their opponents. The erstwhile former Cobra is your FIP in this and they beat and beat and beat on him until his face is level 9 El Dandy and both his opponents are getting his blood on their thighs. SSM is a good hot tag and has a great flying lariat; at one point he does one that just bowls into Choshu to break a pin and looks like a this giant flying shouldertackle that sends Choshu bailing all the way into the corner. The end is great, Takano comes in a house-a-fire with some big leg lariats, misses a springboard which gives Saito time to bash his head into the table; out of camera range flies SSM with this massive and crazy-looking plancha. Choshu gets into the fight and then SSM hits another huge plancha, the ref is almost done counting and at the last half a second Takano rolls into the ring to win them the belts. It's a refreshing change on a familiar end from back then -- Choshu and Saito don't have to be pinned, but they still get to transfer the belts to the other team. Good booking and a good match.

Thanx for those twiztor! I had no idea what the Parka match was until watching it. Swear both of those were seen waaaaaay back in the day but it's been forever. 

Sasuke sticking around in WWE instead of Taka is some real "Bizarro World" brainstorming there. Odds are he'd injure himself in six weeks, reinjure himself in another couple months and end up getting the Sin Cara treatment. 

yeah, i honestly thought Sasuke was only brought in for a one shot. when they announced a rematch i was taken aback. then i read up on it and i guess Sasuke talked trash to the japanese media about the WWE belt and what would happen if he won it.

as for the Savage/La Parka affair, i was watching it thinking "man, Savage must be slumming it tonight" as it slowly dawned on me that this was one of the best segments in Nitro history.

Watched a match from flordia from 70s with thunderbolt patterson vs king curtis ieukea.

Patterson won with a head butt that the chairman sold like death. So, i guess that hierachy of headbutts then was black guy 1 and polynesian guy 2.

I just watched CWF Mid-Atlantic's Ultra J Showcase event from February of this year. It was my first time seeing the promotion and I had a good time watching the show. Nothing blew me away but everything entertained. I wish they'd been able to have Naylor on commentary for more than one match though. Access to their streams is reasonably priced so I'm considering checking out more of their shows. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know someone involved with the promotion posts here but can't remember who. If he sees this I have a question for him: Does the promotion offer dvds or is streaming the only option?

After seeing a couple gifs posted last night, I went back and watched Eddie Guerrero vs. Terry Funk from 1989 WCW.  Weird seeing young Eddie as as a bland jobber.  Pretty standard squash match livened up by a succession of bad looking bumps in the last few min.  After getting a tiny babyface comeback, Eddie did a slingshot crossbody to the outside.  Funk side stepped and EG went splat.  Not as bad looking as the infamous Raven-Kaz Hayashi side step a few years later, but it looked painful.  Funk followed this up by rolling back into the ring and running the ropes until Eddie got back to his feet.  Then he nailed Eddie in the face with a sliding dropkick.  Eddie sold this by pinbaling across the aisleway and backflipping the guardrail to land in the crowd.  Ouch.  Then Terry hit a sloppy looking piledriver on the floor and rolled Eddie back into the ring for the pin.  Ouch.  Not a match for Guerrero highlight reels.

Resuming JCP 1986 this weekend.  I'm up to midsummer.  So much fun. 

Sometimes you just get lucky. DEAN is always raving about Raziel and Cancerbero (who I'd never seen) and everyone raves about Virus (who I've seen a couple times). While flipping through channels I just caught all three against Pegasso, Valiente, and Soberano (only seen Pegasso). It opened up with a really sweet little caida of lucha matwork with the green-as-goose-shit but fairly adept Soberano showing some promise. He's quite lanky for a luchador, I await him gaining some pounds over the years and turning into a threat. Segunda is all rudo beatdown reminding me of Infernales/Misionarios (including the triple kick), then they turn on the fireworks for tercera with a dual dive that concludes with Valiente cracking his skull right against the barrier on a delayed tope suicida. Pegasso wins with a lame Stranglehold Gamma but whatever. It's just neat to turn on a small, fun little match with Virus lariating young guys and tubby mid-card rudos doing their thing. 

...and now the minis are on so if you'll excuse me?

Michel Allary vs. Jack de Lassartesse 22/1/60.  Hey it's Rene Lassartesse, younger than I've ever seen and looking cool as fuck in his robe. I've never seen Allary before and the blurb with the video says this is one of his last matches, as Big Bill Verna "broke his kidneys" in a match in London soon afterwards and he never wrestled again. Anyway, they struggle with holds a bit then Lassartesse works over the back and the crowd is already pretty riled up and lobbing missiles at him. Allary fires up and lays in some uppercuts, now the crowd are cheering, still lobbing stuff at the ring. There's a dude in sunglasses at ringside who is completely unfazed. They exchange strikes and Jack has this fantastic looking eye rake to take control then struts around a bit, the crowd hates this guy. I don't know if it's a DQ or a warning after he punches Michel in the gut with a closed fist, but he proceeds to do it again immediately as if to say "fuck it, I'm being penalised anyway". The commentator going "ahaaaa" when he misses a knee drop from the top is great. It looked sore. Michel tries to work the knee but is quickly reversed and Lassartesse takes control again.

I feel like if I keep describing the match like this it'll take forever. Suffice to say it's all comebacks and cutoffs. Jack is alternating strutting and stalling, repeatedly punching Allary in the stomach, clubbing and dropping the knee on his throat. Allary's comebacks are these windmill swinging uppercuts and a couple of sweet knee lifts. Most times he gets on top, Jack goes to stall, Allary rushes in and gets caught. He gets ragdolled around in a chinlock a few times, then his throat is attacked in various ways before getting hit with the top rope knee that Jack missed earlier. The ref stops it! As satisfying a finish as I've seen with this stuff! Lassartesse disappears into the smoky monochrome, Allary looks upset.

In short, it's great. It doesn't work to the usual beat of this stuff, probably because Lassartesse takes so much of the match, but he does it brilliantly, and draws real heat doing it. He was already well travelled at this point and the heeling seems very American. Shame we don't get to see more of what Allary can do, he's pure fiery underdog here against the bigger man.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to catch up on TNA as I've missed the past few months. I'm not a TNA hater by any stretch of the imagination but I also don't blindly love everything they do. The 6/19 episode wasn't much but I did really enjoy a moment during the Dixie/Dreamer segment where she pretended to forget his name and Spud had to remind her by saying "You hired him" to which she replied "Did he win for me?" Just a throwaway moment but it got a laugh out of me. I really like Spud as a comedy character and wiish WWE could find a spot for him. He's very small but that just adds to it. His suits are amazing and give 1980s Vince a run for his money.

sweet baby jesus, i'm so tired of "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan.

he just beat Luger for the WCW title. his schtick is beyond old at this point.

seriously, he shows up to the Road Wild PPV on saturday night, wins the title, and can't even be bothered to show up to Nitro on Monday? he won't defend said belt until late November. who gave this friggin' guy the belt?

but then there was an awesome Ultimo Dragon vs. Mortis match, so that makes it a little bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLqKsZ6cOg

but there was also the first ever (and possibly only?) Randy Savage vs. Curt Hennig match.

of course, it only goes like 2 minutes before DDP interrupts the whole thing to attack Hennig.