DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

Watching a lot of the old NWA TNA weekly pay per views on Youtube. I forgot how much personality and reason for existing that company use to have. The New Church stuff is all super fun brawls and what not, and I really feel like they should have kept Wolfie D around. Perry Saturn bled like fountain in his match against Mike Barton which was great. There was a couple of awesome heel Rock N Roll Express tag matches against AMW that I enjoyed. Also the random as fuck guys they would bring in like when they brought in Damien 666 and Halloween to job to Jerry Lynn and David Young, or when they pushed that one Jonah guy for tough enough for like two weeks, or how the replaced the recently deceased Malice with the future Suicidal Mike Awesome. Anyway it's surprising amount of fun especially when you can skip over all the segments you don't care about. 

I just started my 2013 Japanese viewing with Sakuraba vs. Nakamura. Delicious. That falling Bombaye on Sakuraba's face was nasty. 

I can't believe Nakamura is one of my favorite wrestlers these days. 5 years ago I could hardly get into him unless he was wrestling the right guy, like Tanahashi. But now I want to watch anything he does. 

I just started my 2013 Japanese viewing with Sakuraba vs. Nakamura. Delicious. That falling Bombaye on Sakuraba's face was nasty. 

I can't believe Nakamura is one of my favorite wrestlers these days. 5 years ago I could hardly get into him unless he was wrestling the right guy, like Tanahashi. But now I want to watch anything he does. 

I'm in the same boat. I didn't like him from day 1 of his Inoki-fueled super push way back when. I'd occasionally watch the odd super hyped match from Japan after '07 and didn't think that much of him and the new "heel persona." But he's really grown into that character and has a unique charisma. His timing is really good and he's become a pretty smart rassler. Good for him. Good for us.

GOOD FOR US INDEED.

I miss FMW. 

I'm watching this today and it's so fucking cinematic. Onita's pre match locker room shots, the over Terry Funk's shoulder shot as Onita is hitting the ring, and of course there's the ending. Onita diving back in the ring to protect Terry is more dramatic than any amount of sign pointing WWE's roster can muster. So much internal conflict. And that guitar coming in at the end... man. All it needed was a scene of him waking up in a cold sweat, and Pamela Anderson sits up and tells him it was just one of his nightmares. Come back to bed, baby. Come back to bed.

• Like 2

So watching that Blackjacks vs. Ace/Kobashi match...Man in a different reality, Bradshaw could have totally been a top gaijin there. The crowd really reacted to his stuff and he looked pretty comfortable being Stan Hansen Jr. there. Oh what could have been....

Cross-posted from the catch-all thread since I'll probably be posting in here a few times in the coming days and weeks

I'm going through my boxes upon boxes of pro wrestling VHS tapes since I finally got a VCR and I'm finding things that are absolutely mind boggling as to why I even have this shit. Green Mountain Wrestling out of Vermont, Buff fucking Bagwell's shoot, a handful of IWA-MS shows. And I've only gone through a dozen tapes. No idea why I would even have some of this shit nor do I know why anyone else would, completely bizarre.

God only knows what I'm going to find next. I haven't even started on the boxes from my cousin who was one of the more popular tape traders (I guess?) 10-15 years ago.

I cannot believe I've had this match forever and never got around to watching it. This is the classic Torneo Cibernetico from '97 in CMLL, which for the uninitiated is an elimination match where partners on both sides switch constantly. Here you get a little over 20 minutes of nothing but beautiful matwork before the first elimination before everything speeds up. In the meantime there are multiple angles going on with Santito vs. Casas of course being a highlight. Dr. Wagner Jr. has huge heat here and there's a great moment where he breaks up a pin on Casas by pulling him by his hair out to the floor so the rudos can mug him en masse. Satanico and Brazo de Oro share maybe the greatest and most fluid pin exchange sequences I've ever seen, then Shocker does a tope through the ropes that he goes UPSIDE DOWN on. The winner is in tears at the end and I cursed myself for never having gotten around to seeing this. Even if you don't "get" lucha you will love this. And if not a pox upon your name.

I just bought ECW Unreleased Vol 2. The second match on the first disc is Sabu/Bobby Fuckin' Eaton v Terry Funk/Arn Anderson, How come I never knew that such a thing existed? In all my years of message board reading I have never heard of this match. I never got to watch ECW while it was around save for ECW on TNN. So going through all of this stuff is pretty new to me, despite having heard or read about it previously.

Heyman wanted the Hollywood Blonds but WCW wasn't willing to give them up (it was just before Spring Stampede '94 and they were both in title matches), so they sent down Bobby'n'Arn and it worked out well for them. The Funk and Anderson promos were golden, as you'd expect.

I am yet another fan that hasn't been watching a ton of wrestling and have decided to go through all of the comps I have purchased. The best match I watched today was:

Eddie Gilbert© vs Jeff Jarrett - Southern Heavyweight Title (USWA Texas 1990)

What a clinic these two put on. This is Eddie Gilbert 101 as he is spot on being the best southern heel in the business. They start with dueling arm work, which Jarrett wins since it affects Gilbert down the line. Double J does a simple spot I wish today's stars would keep alive when working the arm. It is dropping a knee on the arm when you have the opponent on the mat in an armbar or hammerlock. Gilbert yells constantly in this match with stuff like "He is breaking my arm!" Gilbert switches his attention to the leg and really puts a hurting on Jarrett. He even loosens Jarrett's boot which the commentator emphasizes will make Gilbert's legwork that much more deadly. There is great continuity here as Jarrett tries to knee Gilbert's arm as before but uses the hurt knee and it stops him dead in his tracks. They do several double knockout spots they get to in a variety of ways. These spots do not hurt the match as they do not stay stagnant for more than a four count before stirring up to their feet. It puts over how tired both are, yet are willing to sacrifice everything for the Southern Title. The ending is the only flaw in the match. Gilbert goes for a chain he has wrapped in a towel, but misses and Jarrett gets it, rolls Gilbert up for a two count that the ref counts three on but the match continues anyhow. Jarrett hits Gilbert with the chain to give him a taste of his own medicine. Instead of doing the smart thing and throwing the chain outside the ring after using it, he drops in into his tights. When Gilbert tells him about Jarrett's schinanigans the ref checks Jarrett, finds the chain and DQ's Jarrett giving the title back to Gilbert. If Jarrett had only known possession is 2/3rds of the law he would have claimed the title. This was a fantastic match that had the crowd into it from the start. Just amazing.

I'm watching a show entitled VAMOS in Naoshima

I'm guessing this is pure Japanese indy sleaze, it has a bunch of guys who ended up in Osaka Pro, with a Black Buffalo vs Ebessan match being the most notable and a Chapparita ASARI match. I can say I haven't seen most of these people wrestle before so this might be a fun little show. Or completely horrifying, it could probably go either way.

Caught up on the last two weeks of NXT:

Everything about Paige seems special and unique. She is the first female to come down the WWE pike in a while who really looks and carries herself like she is in a real fight. Good little TV match with Summer Rae two weeks ago. I like that 90% of Summer's offense is based around her having really long legs and doing things like unique rope chokes and the old Alex Shelley skull fucker and things like that.

Shield vs Graves/Woods/Neville was a good TV main event but nothing that anyone will confuse with the Shield's best work. Was surprised how dead the crowd was for the guys who are being positioned as three of the top NXT babyfaces.

Bayley/AJ segment was good as Bayley seems like a perfect fit for this role as kind of a naive/ditzy young girl. I could see her being easily manipulated by heels into sympathetic situations where people could get behind her, like Eugene.

This week is a really awesome hour of television. AJ vs Bayley is a simple girls match that reinforces that character trait of Bayley being naive and easily manipulated.The crowd wasnt ready for CJ Parker to just debut his acid dropping hippie gimmick, psychodelic Titantron and Hendrix music just out of nowhere, but I think he'll be a big babyface within a couple of tapings.

Alexander Rusev is a 300 pound Bulgarian who dresses like the Barbarian from 1991. Sign me up! HHH is taking us back to the 90's and I am ALL ABOARD. He has a fun little TV match with Dolph where Dolph actually gives him plenty of opportunities to show his power and kinda get the gimmick over.

Then Cesaro & Zayn tear the house down. People calling it the best match of the year might be over selling it a little but it's a hot fucking match for sure. Super hot finishing sequence and really well worked.

Then I watched Dolph & Kofi vs. PTP from last week's Superstars because I was curious to see them as a team. Another fun, simple TV match with Dolph & Kofi doing a couple of little double team spots and showing that they could be a fun team down the line one day when neither has anything else going on. One match in they had more chemistry than Kofi & Truth.

Somebody is posting old mid- and late-80s AWA shows and old Global shows as well as all the WCW Nitros and PPVs from 1995 forward over on Daily Motion. 

I have discovered the awesomeness of Rick Martel, AWA Champion. I think I was into AWA maybe in '87/'88 as a very young child when it was on ESPN because I had AWA figurines of the Midnight Rockers, Nick Bockwinkel, and Larry Zbyszko, but I do not remember any of this Rick Martel stuff. 

Rude does have the best body in pro wrestling history. Once he cut his hair short and got ridiculously lean and cut in WCW he looked like he could fuck up anyone's world. Rude may be the only guy who managed to mix the great body with also looking like a legitimate tough guy you wouldn't want to fuck with.

It doesn't hurt that Rude legit could fuck you up. There's a match on the Texas set where he gets annoyed with Bruiser Brody after some sloppy bodyslams and just fucking lays into him to the point where Brody is looking worried.

I loved hearing that Rude could KO people with slaps.

I have discovered the awesomeness of Rick Martel, AWA Champion. I think I was into AWA maybe in '87/'88 as a very young child when it was on ESPN because I had AWA figurines of the Midnight Rockers, Nick Bockwinkel, and Larry Zbyszko, but I do not remember any of this Rick Martel stuff. 

Oh man, for sure. About a year or so ago I ended up peeping some old babyface Martel stuff and I LOVED it. I think I had just watched his TV title deal with Booker T, and realized I didn't know much about his pre-WWF days. Watching it certainly improved his ranking in my imaginary All-Time greats lists, and I'd totally suggest people who mostly know Martel as The Model, to check that stuff out.

I've been working my way through the War Games DVD for the last week. Funny to see Dusty as the only interviewee for the whole six hours, though if not him who else, since the whole thing was his baby. They screwed up and gave away the Hennig heel turn on the back which wasn't very bright. My favorite one so far is probably the Sting's Squadron/Dangerous Alliance match. I haven't seen a lot of Alliance matches and this one was great, Rude comes off like a badass, there are some huge bladejobs (Austin goes for the gusto -- why did Bret say he'd never bladed before in his book? Maybe Big Barry did it for him which is why it's a gusher), green Dustin gets confused but still has those great punches, Steamboat gets a HUGE pop, and the finish is great. And you can look up Madusa's skirt haha. The "Nasty Dream" one is surprisingly good too, with Col. Parker inadvertently shitting his pants after the Nasties mug him! That's right there with Sid almost killing Pillman. "Master of the Powerbomb" my ass...

DMC MIXTAPE VOL. 3!!!! 

1. TV TITLE MATCH: Steven Regal vs. British Bulldog

2.  WWF LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: TAKA Michinoku vs. El Pantera

3. Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Sid Vicious

4. SMASH DIVE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Kana© vs. SHURI

5. Dustin Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat vs. Arn Anderson & Bunkhouse Buck

6. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Keiji Mutoh

7. Dr. Wagner Jr. vs. L.A. Park

8. Vader vs. P J Walker(Justin Credible)

9. NWF TITLE MATCH: Antonio Inoki vs. Billy Robinson

You can read about the whole mess here: http://jaedmc.blogspot.com/2013/08/dmc-mixtape-vol-3.html

And I'm doing playlists of all my mixes for those interested so you can just click play and it'll go through all the matches in the order I set them in. If that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxXqKoWNIM4xG1DBvHo9U1cmZk5RrI2c4

Inoki/Robinson is one of the best 60 minute matches I've ever seen. Park/Wagner is one of the best brawls from this year. And El Pantera works Taka Michinoku's back with fucking insanity. Seriously watch that match soon. Oh Davey Boy is pretty rad in that Regal match.

I think I've mentioned this before but that Robinson/Inoki match isn't just the best Inoki match I've ever seen but the best 60 minute draw I've ever seen. Seriously, everyone here needs to see that match at least once it's amazing.